How to install the Nawcom's ModCD...

mariozio

Hello.

I'm trying to virtualize MacOS Snow Leopard on FreeBSD + bhyve. There is a tool from years and years ago known as Nawcom's ModCD, originally intended for booting Snow Leopard 10.6 and it seems to have a build of Chameleon that actually works without the Penryn flag. As u probably know,bhyve does not support it,so maybe this tool is the only chance to virtualize MacOS with bhyve. I've found 2 tutorials about how to install the Nawcom's ModCD here :

and here :

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/288474-simple-steps-to-amd-hackintosh-stable-everything-working/

On that websites,they say :

OSX86_ModCD-032311-151021.zip -> rename from .zip to .iso and burn the image to a CD/DVD (can be done from Windows or Linux)

burn nawcom MODCD : download and burn the nawcom MODCD 0.3.2 .iso to optical disc

Ok. My problem is that I haven't any optical disc at the moment. You know,the optical disks are also going out of business. So,I've used Balena Etcher and I tried to "burn" the iso image to an USB stick,but unfortunately it said that it is not bootable. I even tried with :

# dd if=OSX86_ModCD-032311-151021.iso of=/dev/sdl

but this is what happened to the USB stick :

Disk /dev/sdl: 14.95 GiB, 16053960192 bytes, 31355391 sectors
Disk model: Cruzer           
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

It is not readable. The iso image does not seem to be good. What can I do now ? thanks.

• Administrators

Afaik, ModCD can only be used to make a bootable CD. If you want a bootable USB version, you have to use ModUSB but that requires an existing Mac, Hack or VM.

"Chameleon Penryn flag", what's that??? 

Ok. I have tried to install the ModUSB tool inside a VMware VM. First of all I have installed Monterey on Linux with VMware and then I've attached an USB stick to the VM and I've tried to install the file called : "OSX86_ModUSB.pkg" on the USB stick,but it says that it can't. I don't know what to do next. Check the images below. thanks.

These are the parameters needed to boot the macOSx with qemu-kvm on Linux :

args=(

-enable-kvm -m "$ALLOCATED_RAM" -cpu Penryn,kvm=on,vendor=GenuineIntel,+invtsc,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,"$MY_OPTIONS"

-machine q35

as explained here :

https://github.com/kholia/OSX-KVM/blob/master/OpenCore-Boot.sh

as u can see, to virtualize macos we must emulate the -cpu Penryn. But I can't do this with bhyve,because the function hasn't been implemented. But someone told me that the Nawcom's ModCD does not need of that.

1.png

2.png

• Administrators

That flag of yours is specific to your hypervisor and does not exist in Chameleon; so it's irrelevant as far as ModCD or ModUSB is concerned. I'm pretty sure you'll need an older version of Mac OS X or OS X but not macOS to be able to run ModUSB; this is old stuff and I'm pretty sure it's not compatible with modern macOS versions.