E7440: Big Sur 11.6.7 installation - stuck at apfs_module_start

ksandbergfl

Hi there... I have a E7440 (edit: with the i7-4600U and a DW1510 wifi card).  I have run Mojave and Catalina on it for almost 2 years.  Now I am trying to install Big Sur 11.6.7.    I have a MacBook Air, which I used to download the Big Sur 11.6.7 Full Installer, and to create the USB boot stick.  I downloaded JakeLo's OpenCore EFI's, installed them on the USB stick, and made the requisite edits to the serial number, etc, as instructed.

My USB stick boots fine, I select "Install Big Sur", but the process hangs with the progress bar about 50-60%.    I enabled verbose mode, and it appears that the boot is sticking at the "apfs_module_start" step.     I get the same error, regardless of the OpenCore version of the EFI (0.8, 0.78, 0.74, etc).

My initial thought was maybe the APFS version changed in Big Sur 11.6.7.... so I downloaded the Full Installer for Big Sur 11.5.2 instead... but I'm getting the same issue... 

I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this...     Thanks in advance.

It's the 0.7.8 EFI from JakeLo's "repo" here (see link).  https://osxlatitude.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=33347&key=3c5d5a706aa5dcd3d7df34fb7b21248c

I'm using this EFI "as is" except for the four (4) edits to the config.plist for MLB,ROM,SystemSerial and SystemUUID.   I copied these values from what I am using with Mojave/Catalina.

config.plist.zip

Oh ok, I didn't realize that...  I have a BCM4332 (DW1510) that I bought second-hand, years ago, because it works "OOB" with Mojave... I figured if Big Sur didn't support it, it would just ignore it and boot up without it...     

Can I edit OpenCore to have no wifi at all?  The laptop has a ethernet/RJ45 port, if that was the only network port, for the time being, that would be ok.   Or does the Big Sur-via-OpenCore install require a wifi card if you use the MacbookPro11,4 model type?