E7440: no sound from headphone jack in Catalina 10.15.7 (OC 0.7.8)

ksandbergfl

This is  my first Hackintosh using OpenCore.   I downloaded one of JakeLo EFI's from this site, and edited the appropriate SMBIOS info, etc.   Everything is working really good, except when I plug in the headphones I get a crackle/whoosh sound, then nothing.  

With Clover, when I had audio issues - it was relatively straight-forward to troubleshoot... just keep trying different audio layout ID's until you found one that was a close-enough match.   I am familiar with the process!

With OpenCore - is it the same process?   I see TWO layout-ID values in my CONFIG.PLIST... do I change them BOTH to the same value?   Just one?  is one of the values redundant and should be removed from CONFIG.PLIST? 

config.plist.zip

• Administrators

Do you have CodecCommander kext in your existing kexts set?

Obviously you must only use 1 x audio layout-id in your config: either as a property injection against you audio device or as a boot arg in the NVRAM section. But not both or, at least, not 2 with different values. From memory, E7440 is fitted with same ALC292 codec as other Haswell E6x40 models and requires layout id 12 (or 0x0c in Hex).

JakeLo's guide does mention a fix in both his 2018 Clover guide and his 2020 Opencore guide to sort out the very issue you mention. Did you download it and run the shell script?

15 hours ago, Hervé said:

JakeLo's guide does mention a fix in both his 2018 Clover guide and his 2020 Opencore guide to sort out the very issue you mention. Did you download it and run the shell script?

Oops, I missed that... I downloaded the ALC_FIX for Catalina this morning and gave it a try.   The INSTALL.SH script appears to do everything properly... I see the files in /usr/bin and /Library/LaunchAgents, as expected... permissions are set OK....  but the final shell command "launchctl load /Library/LaunchAgents/good.win.ALCPlugFix.plist" keeps returning a "service is disabled".