D830 freeze during install of 10.7.4

jahudka

Hi all,

I've been trying to install 10.7.4 on my Latitude for quite some time using various versions of the EDP and the Bootpack. All of my previous attempts resulted in KPs or otherwise malfunctioning system. My last attempt with the latest EDP and Bootpack for my model won't install at all.

I have the 1920 x 1200 model with Intel WiFi (yeah, I know). I've disabled Dynamic Acceleration in BIOS, along with the integrated network card (which I believe is a Broadcom) and the Bluetooth and WiFi adapters.

Now, I can boot all right into the installer without any special flags. I can get as far as the installation itself without no problems at all - and then a couple of minutes into the process it freezes. Just that, no KP or nothing, it just stops reacting to any input apart from holding down the power button and the installation stops. I tried waiting it out, but after about half an hour's time there was not the tiniest hint of progress whatsoever.

I figured I'd try and look into the install log, so I went and booted into Single User mode. And after a short while during which I was trying to figure out which partition should I mount and where to (without actual success), even the single user mode freezed on me. I believe the last command I issued was

mount /dev/rdisk0s4 /Volumes/Mac

. The command never finished, just hang there for a small eternity until I lost my nerve and rebooted again.

Do any of you guys have any idea what I might have done wrong? what could I do next? I'm sort of lost here. Last thing I didn't try (and will do rightaway) is disable the PS/2 devices in BIOS and try with an USB keyboard and mouse from the start. Will post results asap.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

I've been trying to install 10.7.4 on my Latitude for quite some time using various versions of the EDP and the Bootpack. All of my previous attempts resulted in KPs or otherwise malfunctioning system. My last attempt with the latest EDP and Bootpack for my model won't install at all.

I have the 1920 x 1200 model with Intel WiFi (yeah, I know). I've disabled Dynamic Acceleration in BIOS, along with the integrated network card (which I believe is a Broadcom) and the Bluetooth and WiFi adapters.

Now, I can boot all right into the installer without any special flags. I can get as far as the installation itself without no problems at all - and then a couple of minutes into the process it freezes. Just that, no KP or nothing, it just stops reacting to any input apart from holding down the power button and the installation stops. I tried waiting it out, but after about half an hour's time there was not the tiniest hint of progress whatsoever.

I figured I'd try and look into the install log, so I went and booted into Single User mode. And after a short while during which I was trying to figure out which partition should I mount and where to (without actual success), even the single user mode freezed on me. I believe the last command I issued was

mount /dev/rdisk0s4 /Volumes/Mac

. The command never finished, just hang there for a small eternity until I lost my nerve and rebooted again.

Do any of you guys have any idea what I might have done wrong? what could I do next? I'm sort of lost here. Last thing I didn't try (and will do rightaway) is disable the PS/2 devices in BIOS and try with an USB keyboard and mouse from the start. Will post results asap.

Thanks in advance!

Check your memory by booting an Ubuntu live CD or live USB drive and test the memory. That is the first I would do or if you are sure the memory are good then I suggest you go into BIOS and let it sit for a while (about > 15mins).

Hi,

thanks for your advice. I'm using the latest bootpack (perhaps around 3-4 days from downloading it). I actually never tried letting it sit in BIOS for a long time. I can do that all right; but then I suppose the same problem would exist within my current Win 7 install, wouldn't it? (EDIT: same goes for memory - my current Win 7 install seems quite stable so I wouldn't suspect the memory to be faulty.. won't hurt to test anyway, it'll just have to wait a lickle till I go to lunch ;-) )

I may have found the problem though.. I was never quite sure as to which graphics accelerator I have. Somehow I concluded that I must indeed have the Intel X3100 chip, but that may have been wrong. I'm attaching the output of lspci run from a live cd of Xubuntu. The important line would be:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)

and that most definitely doesn't look like X3100. But then again I suppose that if I had the wrong bootpack I wouldn't get into the installer at all, would I? I guess I'd just get stuck with a KP during boot, but that never happened (provided I had my wireless and BT shut down in BIOS).

Also I'm attaching the install.log file which I was able to dig out with the live cd.

Hope this helps :-) thanks again!

lspci.txt

install.log.txt

I have exactly the same issue with the installation on my D830.

Specs:

• Intel C2D T5450 @ 1.66GHz
  • Intel X3100 IGP (1920x1200)
  • Intel WiFi Link 4965AGN
  • 2x 1GB DDR2

I removed IO80211Family.kext to avoid kernel panic (has something to do with not having a Broadcom WiFi card). Of course I fixed permissions afterwards. Booting up to the installer works fine. When the installer says '18 minutes left', it hangs. Even the mouse cursor doesn't move any more.

All right, waiting out the BIOS setup does not seem to do it for me.. meaning after having left the laptop sit in BIOS for my lunch break (an hour and something) the setup still remained perfectly operational. So I wouldn't say it's faulty hardware. The install log makes me no wiser, either. Any ideas?

• Administrators

last thing reported in the log is

Can not connect to /var/run/systemkeychaincheck.socket: No such file or directory

341 - Client: 'ReportCrash', exited with 0 session(s), 0 node(s) and 0 active request(s)

maybe your image is corrupted? try remaking the installer... also it looks like your using mbr disk?

Aug 13 06:05:01 localhost OSInstaller[348]: 0: FDisk_partition_scheme (null) *320.07 GB disk0

Aug 13 06:05:01 localhost OSInstaller[348]: 1: Windows_NTFS System Reserved 104.9 MB disk0s1 /Volumes/System Reserved

Aug 13 06:05:01 localhost OSInstaller[348]: 2: Windows_NTFS (null) 36.6 GB disk0s2 /Volumes/Untitled

Aug 13 06:05:01 localhost OSInstaller[348]: 3: Windows_NTFS Data 263.37 GB disk0s3 /Volumes/Data

Aug 13 06:05:01 localhost OSInstaller[348]: 4: Apple_HFS Mac 20 GB disk0s4 /Volumes/Mac