D830 freeze during install of 10.7.4

jahudka

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided to take a fresh start and created the installer with MyHack on a new USB drive. This is what I disabled in BIOS:

• Internal NIC (Broadcom Ethernet)
  • Internal Modem (Conexant)
  • Parallel Port + Serial Port
  • PC Card and 1394
  • Module Bay Device
  • Microphone
  • Ambient Light Sensor
  • Dynamic Acceleration
  • Internal Bluetooth
  • Internal WiFi (Intel 4965AGN)
  • Internal Cellular

SATA Operation Mode = AHCI.

With all this disabled, I don't even get to setup. First time I tried I got a white screen (without a mouse pointer), second time it didn't even get that far. I recorded a clip and uploaded it here.

2nd try: reset BIOS to defaults and only disable internal WiFi. This seems to get me further. I get a mouse pointer and a background, but I'm stuck at the following screen:

1j7vwl.jpg

I don't have a clue what it means. I also recorded this one, here.

Edit: it has something to do with Bluetooth. After turning off Bluetooth, I can get to the actual setup :) I noticed it hangs at the exact moment it tries to mount my hard drive in Disk Utility though :( Recording can be found here.

I decided to take a fresh start and created the installer with MyHack on a new USB drive. This is what I disabled in BIOS:

• Internal NIC (Broadcom Ethernet)
  • Internal Modem (Conexant)
  • Parallel Port + Serial Port
  • PC Card and 1394
  • Module Bay Device
  • Microphone
  • Ambient Light Sensor
  • Dynamic Acceleration
  • Internal Bluetooth
  • Internal WiFi (Intel 4965AGN)
  • Internal Cellular

SATA Operation Mode = AHCI.

With all this disabled, I don't even get to setup. First time I tried I got a white screen (without a mouse pointer), second time it didn't even get that far. I recorded a clip and uploaded it here.

2nd try: reset BIOS to defaults and only disable internal WiFi. This seems to get me further. I get a mouse pointer and a background, but I'm stuck at the following screen:

1j7vwl.jpg

I don't have a clue what it means. I also recorded this one, here.

Edit: it has something to do with Bluetooth. After turning off Bluetooth, I can get to the actual setup :) I noticed it hangs at the exact moment it tries to mount my hard drive in Disk Utility though :( Recording can be found here.

It's hard to tell from that video, but it is not unusual for the partitioning to take 4 - 5 minutes. If that was at normal speed, you need to wait. Sometimes the blue progress bar will appear to stall, but it is actually working. Try again, allowing a while longer for partitioning. By the way, that image was searching for Bluetooth devices. I thought you had disabled bluetooth.

You should use the partition tab, then under Partition table, use 1 partition if just installing OSx (more if dual or tri booting), then give your drive a name, in format, choose Mac OS Extended (journaled), go to options and choose GUID, then choose apply, then partition. You can then install.

It's hard to tell from that video, but it is not unusual for the partitioning to take 4 - 5 minutes. If that was at normal speed, you need to wait. Sometimes the blue progress bar will appear to stall, but it is actually working. Try again, allowing a while longer for partitioning.

It actually hangs when trying to partition the disk. There is no disk activity, the mouse pointer doesn't move anymore and leaving it there for half an hour doesn't make any difference. After a few reboots partitioning sometimes works, but then it hangs when the installer tries to mount the drive.

The video quality is indeed terrible, but I only had my phone by hand and I thought it would be better than nothing.

By the way, that image was searching for Bluetooth devices. I thought you had disabled bluetooth.

With the first attempt I had disabled all devices that weren't essential, but OS X didn't seem to like that so for the second attempt I only disabled WiFi which at least allows me to get into the above screen. Disabling WiFi and BT but nothing else seems to give the best results so far.

It actually hangs when trying to partition the disk. There is no disk activity, the mouse pointer doesn't move anymore and leaving it there for half an hour doesn't make any difference. After a few reboots partitioning sometimes works, but then it hangs when the installer tries to mount the drive.

The video quality is indeed terrible, but I only had my phone by hand and I thought it would be better than nothing.

With the first attempt I had disabled all devices that weren't essential, but OS X didn't seem to like that so for the second attempt I only disabled WiFi which at least allows me to get into the above screen. Disabling WiFi and BT but nothing else seems to give the best results so far.

From the video, it appeared you used the erase tab instead of the partition tab, my mistake. Have you tried using the installer in a different USB port, it may make a difference. One other quick question: if you replaced the IO80211Family.kext on the bootstick, did you run a My Fix (full) on it before using the installer?

From the video, it appeared you used the erase tab instead of the partition tab, my mistake. Have you tried using the installer in a different USB port, it may make a difference. One other quick question: if you replaced the IO80211Family.kext on the bootstick, did you run a My Fix (full) on it before using the installer?

I haven't modified anything this time. Disabling WiFi in BIOS is easier than replacing kexts, the Intel 4965AGN isn't supported in OSX anyway :)

I didn't realize you had remade your bootstick. Since WiFi, Bluetooth AND Dynamic Acceleration MAY affect your install, shut off only those three in BIOS (for now). At this time don't worry about the kext, leave it there. It is better to get OSx installed and worry about problems later. The video that shows it searching for the WiFi device indicates you are making it to the installer and the hang may be because of Dynamic Acceleration being enabled.

Disabled Dynamic Acceleration. It seems to hang pretty random.

Currently it hangs with this screen:

Initializing the journal (joffset 0xe8e000 sz 0x2800000)

But sometimes it hangs earlier (screenshot) with this error:

ApplePS2Controller: Timed out on mouse input stream at readDataPort

Or with:

*** Verbose boot, will log to /dev/console. ***

Everytime it's something different.

OK, tried the IO80211Family.kext you posted and it doesn't seem to change anything - I can get to the installer, then it gets stuck at 21 minutes left (right after the "Packagekit installation begins" message appears in the installer log window).

My apologies, I am guilty of both misunderstanding your issue and poorly communicating what I was trying to say. Of course OSx can be installed on a MBR disk. If not you wouldn't be able to create the My Hack installer on a MBR drive. Most people doing a dual boot are doing a fresh install and creat the OSx partition first. Your case, with adding an OSx partition to a Windows disk is different. I have not dealt with this before, but I believe that since Windows makes itself a proprietary system, it makes OSx partition inactive and the MBR needs to be repaired (not modified, as I indicated earlier) and allow the OSx partition to become active to install it. I'm not sure if the MBR repair instructions on the My Hack site will allow for this (It's in a section labeled Dual Booting Demystified), but you can try, and if no joy post to the forum for a solution. Search Google: Dual Booting Demystified