Mountain Lion on E6400 in 5 Steps!

DaFOB

Compgeke,

any luck with the reboot / shutdown issue?

I have the same problem on e6500

I aslo don't have any sound.

Thanks

I think the reboot/shutdown issue isn't isolated to just our model. I have this issue on multiple hackintoshes of varying makes and models. Someone mentioned in another post that it might be due to ML's new powernap feature. One thing I did notice is that 10.8.2 seems to improve shutdown/restart, though the problem is still there.

As for your sound issue, hopefully you've fixed it by now but if not, try deleting AppleHDA.kext from S/L/E and re-install VoodooHDA.kext using kext helper or kext utility.

Great job DaFOB!! Works well with my M4400 - 10.8.2 running very stably and smooth. Sleep, audio,wireless,ethernet,graphics all work thanks to your 5 step guide and updated "extra" folder for 10.8.2. :) :)

Although this M4400 has an Nvidia FX770m with 500mb ram graphics it shows up as an Nvidia 160m with 500mb ram, but this does not seem to make any difference in performance for what I use my laptop for - still get the ripple effect when opening something in Dashboard - I don't use it for game playing

You should edit the nVidia kexts and insert your FX770m deviceID... it might fix your graphics issues. I no longer have access to an M4400 or else I would post the edited kexts for you. Refer to Darvinko's post here for detailed instructions on inserting your DeviceID.

You should edit the nVidia kexts and insert your FX770m deviceID... it might fix your graphics issues. I no longer have access to an M4400 or else I would post the edited kexts for you. Refer to Darvinko's post here for detailed instructions on inserting your DeviceID.

Appreciate your reply DaFOB - I looked up the device id for the m4400 fx770m graphics, and checked the graphics info in "about this mac", and the same device id was there. Anyway I am not too worried about the graphics showing as m160 - the main thing is my laptop is working well and is stable with Mountain Lion 10.8.2! :) :)

Appreciate your reply DaFOB - I looked up the device id for the m4400 fx770m graphics, and checked the graphics info in "about this mac", and the same device id was there. Anyway I am not too worried about the graphics showing as m160 - the main thing is my laptop is working well and is stable with Mountain Lion 10.8.2! :) :)

See if replacing the kexts with these takes care of your issue:Nvidia 10.8.2.zip

I think the reboot/shutdown issue isn't isolated to just our model. I have this issue on multiple hackintoshes of varying makes and models. Someone mentioned in another post that it might be due to ML's new powernap feature. One thing I did notice is that 10.8.2 seems to improve shutdown/restart, though the problem is still there.

As for your sound issue, hopefully you've fixed it by now but if not, try deleting AppleHDA.kext from S/L/E and re-install VoodooHDA.kext using kext helper or kext utility.

DaFob,

Thanks a bunch,

Indeed 10.8.2 has improved things, but as you correctly stated, the problem is still there.

As for the sound issue, right on again, I have since fixed the issue and am now running it problem free.

Your guide and help in this thread has enabled me to run ML on my e6500

Many thanks to you and others who has made this possible.

See if replacing the kexts with these takes care of your issue:Nvidia 10.8.2.zip

Thanks for posting those kexts - I appreciate your help, :) :), but my graphics still showed as 160m, which is no real problem, however shutdown and restart were screwed up, so I just did a clean install and everything works fine once again :D :D

Hi there,

very good and easy tutorial, great job DaFOB, but I got some thoughts:

I didn't include the IO80211Family.kext because my wireless card worked with the DSDT out of the box, but if your wireless doesn't work then you can install the modified IO80211Family.kext in the other thread.

for my wifi [WLAN 1397 802.11 a/b/g/N] to work, I need to use this Broadcom43XXFamilyrev2.kext in S/L/E.

In Extra folder, you don't need this:

OSXRestart.kext

VooDooPowerMini.kext

lspcidrv.kext

NVDANV50Hal.kext

NVDAResman.kext

Patched_10.7_AppleRTC.kext

GeForce.kext

AppleHDADisabler.kext

Also Sleep and Restart will start to work, when you remove this kexts.

I have Intel CORE 2 DUO T9600, so this is 2.80GHz, 1066MHz, 6MB CPU. For OSX i need to use proper settings in my org.chameleon.Boot.plist and SMBIOS.plist:

org.chameleon.Boot.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>hd(0,2)</string>
<key>DropSSDT</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1440x900x32@60</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Hide Partition</key>
<string>hd(0,3)</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>SMBIOS</key>
<string>/Extra/SMBIOS.plist</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>LoginToLion</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>busratio</key>
<string>21</string>
</dict>
</plist>

SMBIOS.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Copyright</key>
<string>SMBios by Dell E6400</string>
<key>SMUUID</key>
<string>72AD6840-5357-5ACA-877F-001E47666D1C</string>
<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MBP51.88Z.007E.B05.0905051508</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-F42D86C8</string>
<key>SMexternalclock</key>
<string>266</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>MacBook Pro</string>
<key>SMmaximalclock</key>
<string>2800</string>
<key>SMmemspeed</key>
<string>800</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacBookPro5,1</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string> </string>     -<  use generator for this serial
</dict>
</plist>

My nVIDIA QUADRO NVS 160M 256MB DDR3 is supported by default, there is no need for /extra kexts.

After this, there was no problem with update to 10.8.2 ;P

• Like 1

for my wifi [WLAN 1397 802.11 a/b/g/N] to work, I need to use this Broadcom43XXFamilyrev2.kext in S/L/E.

I believe the link to the IO80211Family.kext in the first post is the same one as Broadcom43XXFamilyrev2.kext (it's just been renamed).

In Extra folder, you don't need this:

OSXRestart.kext

VooDooPowerMini.kext

lspcidrv.kext

NVDANV50Hal.kext

NVDAResman.kext

GeForce.kext

AppleHDADisabler.kext

Also Sleep and Restart will start to work, when you remove this kexts.

I have Intel CORE 2 DUO T9600, so this is 2.80GHz, 1066MHz, 6MB CPU. For OSX i need to use proper settings in my org.chameleon.Boot.plist and SMBIOS.plist:

My nVIDIA QUADRO NVS 160M 256MB DDR3 is supported by default, there is no need for extra kexts.

After this, there was no problem with update to 10.8.2 ;P

I agree that some of those kexts in Extra can be removed. But I have a few comments/questions:

1. AppleHDADisabler.kext is there to prevent KP when using VoodooHDA.kext. If you delete it, then you should delete AppleHDA.kext. The problem with this approach is that every time a new update is released, you have to remember to remove AppleHDA.kext or you get KP upon rebooting.

2. The 3 Nvidia kexts (NVDANV50Hal.kext, NVDAResman.kext, GeForce.kext), how did you get ML to boot? A bunch of us with the nVIDIA QUADRO NVS 160M struggled for weeks just trying to get the installer to even load. ML wouldn't detect this card until we added the device ID to these kexts. I don't think this card is supported by default in ML so I'm curious how you got yours going. Are you using myHack? If you are, then can you list the contents in this path: /System/Library/Extensions/myHack.kext/Contents/Plugins? I'm betting you have these files in the myHack.kext.

I've noticed that starting with LION (or is it the new chameleon?), kexts are no longer loaded from /Extra. So it's true that you can delete kexts from /Extra/Extensions because it's not being used anymore. It'd be great if you figured out a way for ML to load w/o modifying the 3 nVidia kexts. :-D

I believe the link to the IO80211Family.kext in the first post is the same one as Broadcom43XXFamilyrev2.kext (it's just been renamed).

I agree that some of those kexts in Extra can be removed. But I have a few comments/questions:

1. AppleHDADisabler.kext is there to prevent KP when using VoodooHDA.kext. If you delete it, then you should delete AppleHDA.kext. The problem with this approach is that every time a new update is released, you have to remember to remove AppleHDA.kext or you get KP upon rebooting.

2. The 3 Nvidia kexts (NVDANV50Hal.kext, NVDAResman.kext, GeForce.kext), how did you get ML to boot? A bunch of us with the nVIDIA QUADRO NVS 160M struggled for weeks just trying to get the installer to even load. ML wouldn't detect this card until we added the device ID to these kexts. I don't think this card is supported by default in ML so I'm curious how you got yours going. Are you using myHack? If you are, then can you list the contents in this path: /System/Library/Extensions/myHack.kext/Contents/Plugins? I'm betting you have these files in the myHack.kext.

I've noticed that starting with LION (or is it the new chameleon?), kexts are no longer loaded from /Extra. So it's true that you can delete kexts from /Extra/Extensions because it's not being used anymore. It'd be great if you figured out a way for ML to load w/o modifying the 3 nVidia kexts. :-D

1. AppleHDADisabler.kext - you are correct, i never used it before, always remove AppleHDA.kext manually.

Since now it's located in my S/L/E, but i still remove manually AppleHDA.kext ;P

2. I do not use myHack.kext, as it was making mess with my WiFi. I have only this kext in S/L/E:

VoodooBattery.kext

VoodooHDA.kext

VooDooPS2Controller.kext

VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext

VoodooPS2Mouse.kext

VoodooSDHC.kext

AppleACPIPlatfom.kext

AppleHDADisabler.kext

DellBluetoothHCI.kext

FakeSMC.kext

Intell82566MM.kext

Broadcom43XXFamilyrev2.kext

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

lspcidrv.kext

Rest of kexts from DaFOB Extra/Extensions are removed.

I have my own DSDT.aml, org.chameleon.Boot.plist and smbios.plist [in attachment].

NVDANV50Hal.kext, NVDAResman.kext, GeForce.kext are placed in S/L/E, but not in myHack.kext.

My Extra/Extension folder is empty. I removed as well IO80211Family.kext from S/L/E each time i have apple update, else my wifi wont work - in network panel is permanently OFF.

I'm using new Chameleon v2.1 svn rev2070 and all works fine for now :)

extraE6400.zip

Broadcom43XXFamilyrev2.kext.zip

1. AppleHDADisabler.kext - you are correct, i never used it before, always remove AppleHDA.kext manually.

Since now it's located in my S/L/E, but i still remove manually AppleHDA.kext ;P

2. I do not use myHack.kext, as it was making mess with my WiFi. I have only this kext in S/L/E:

VoodooBattery.kext

VoodooHDA.kext

VooDooPS2Controller.kext

VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext

VoodooPS2Mouse.kext

VoodooSDHC.kext

AppleACPIPlatfom.kext

AppleHDADisabler.kext

DellBluetoothHCI.kext

FakeSMC.kext

Intell82566MM.kext

Broadcom43XXFamilyrev2.kext

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

lspcidrv.kext

Rest of kexts from DaFOB Extra/Extensions are removed. I have my own DSDT.aml, org.chameleon.Boot.plist and smbios.plist [in attachment]. NVDANV50Hal.kext, NVDAResman.kext, GeForce.kext are placed in S/L/E.

My Extra/Extension folder is empty. I removed as well IO80211Family.kext from S/L/E each time i have apple update.

I'm using new Chameleon v2.1 svn rev2070 and all works fine for now :)

Are the 3 Nvidia kexts in your S/L/E modified or are they stock? For those of us that use myHack, we put files under E/E but they aren't loaded since myHack puts these under S/L/E/MyHack.kext.

Also, do you mind posting your DSDT file?

Are the 3 Nvidia kexts in your S/L/E modified or are they stock? For those of us that use myHack, we put files under E/E but they aren't loaded since myHack puts these under S/L/E/MyHack.kext.

Also, do you mind posting your DSDT file?

How to check if they stock or modified?

My DSDT is one post up, in attachment extraE6400.zip (14.43K)