D630 - Snow installs but no Ethernet / Lion cannot see SATA HDD

Spurs4ever

A little confused here and wondered if anyone could help.

I have a D630 with Intel GFX and am having difficulty in getting any version of OSX installed.

I'll start with SL. I made the USB stick with myHack and downloaded the bootpackage for SL and copied over the Extras folder to the USBStick. I set the bios to defaults, removed the Intel Wireless adaptor completely from the laptop, set the correct settings in the bios and booted. Formatted the HDD in Disk Utility, installed SL, rebooted through the USB stick, got to the desktop, but no Ethernet so I could not install EDP. On top of this am I right in thinking V3 of EDP is for ML? If so what do I use for SL?

Onto Lion. Same as above, but Disk Utility cannot see the HDD at all. Change to ATA and the HDD is recognised, but the install sticks at 19 minutes to go. I read somewhere that the ICH8 chipset can be a problem as it is not true SATA and runs a SATA-IDE hybrid? Either way, the HDD is seen by the SL install but not the Lion install.

Any ideas you may have to help me one my way would be appreciated.

Don't make me go back to Win 7 please ;)

• Administrators

I'd go back to regular Dell BIOS. A17 or A18, both are downloadable off Dell's web site. I had trouble with the OSXL modified version and reverted back to original versions.

In the BIOS:

- set HDD mode to AHCI

- disable IDA (CPU dynamic acceleration)

- disable Wifi if it's an Intel board or remove it (only Broadcom cards are supported)

As far as I'm concerned, no need to disable anything else (I even enable Wake on USB to get out of sleep with mouse move/click when laptop runs on mains). You should then be ready to rock 'n roll. EDP v3 supports SL, Lion or ML, so use it whatever you install.

What CPU do you have in your D630 and how much RAM?

In the BIOS:

- set HDD mode to AHCI

- disable IDA (CPU dynamic acceleration)

- disable Wifi if it's an Intel board or remove it (only Broadcom cards are supported)

Did all that with the modified bios installed, no joy.

Even changed the USB stick for a better, quicker one, but nothing.

The problem I have is that L & ML do not recognise the HDD.

SL does, but will not recognise the ethernet so I cannot install EDP after SL has installed.

The CPU is a T7250 @ 2Ghz and 2GB ram.

I've reverted back to stock A17 now, will give it another go later. Have had to install Win 7 on it just so I can use it :(

Will give Lion a go, just to see if it reads the HDD in ACHI (it never did although SL read it fine with the modified bios).

Not holding out much hope though :(

Can I just confirm that this is the correct start...

Start myHack

tell it to create a install disk

choose 10.6

tell it to use the usb stick attached

let it do its thing.

Now do I manually remove the Extras folder and place the bootpackage one in its place, or do I use the create extras option in myhack?

I have tried both, but both times I get the same result.

Also is it just the Extras folder I need to put on the usb after SL is moved to it, or do I need other Kexts too?

Thanks in advance

• Administrators

No reason why yours would be different from others... If your disk is large enough, keep both Win7 and OS X, the latter being the default OS.

With Lion, you should be able to install 10.7.3 without any difficulties before proceeding to 10.7.4.

Regarding the Ethernet board, in the BIOS, is "Integrated NIC" set to "enabled" under on-board devices?

With myHack, I guess you know that you create a 10.6 installer for SL, a 10.7 installer for Lion and a 10.8 installer for ML. Once the installer creation has complete, re-run myHack and choose 'Install Extra' option. When prompted for your source files, point to your downloaded bootpack.

At the end of the OS installation, you'll be prompted to use a Generic /Extra or provide your own. Choose the latter and point to the /Extra folder of your USB installation key. You should then be able to reboot onto a minimal system, ready for EDP. The bootpack contains all the minimal requirements necessary to get the system to boot an operate, prior to fine tuning through EDP and/or others.

Regarding the Ethernet board, in the BIOS, is "Integrated NIC" set to "enabled" under on-board devices?

Yep

With Lion, you should be able to install 10.7.3 without any difficulties

Like I said, it would not recognise my HDD in AHCI mode, whereas the SL install did. I even changed HDD's to see if that was the problem but still the same.

With myHack, I guess you know that you create a 10.6 installer for SL, a 10.7 installer for Lion and a 10.8 installer for ML. Once the installer creation has complete, re-run myHack and choose 'Install Extra' option. When prompted for your source files, point to your downloaded bootpack.

Yep done that already, but I am going to try SL again as soon as the myHack has finished doing its thing to my USB

At the end of the OS installation, you'll be prompted to use a Generic /Extra or provide your own. Choose the latter and point to the /Extra folder of your USB installation key. You should then be able to reboot onto a minimal system, ready for EDP. The bootpack contains all the minimal requirements necessary to get the system to boot an operate, prior to fine tuning through EDP and/or others.

Now thats the interesting bit. After I installed SL the last time, I did as myHack requested, installed the extras from my source folder, rebooted from the USB stick (as I could not boot from the HDD) and it booted to the SL desktop, however I had no ethernet, it was not showing in System Properties at all.

Like I said, I'll give it another go, but failing that I'll be going back to Win 7 and will have to save up for a Macbook :(

Yep

Like I said, it would not recognise my HDD in AHCI mode, whereas the SL install did. I even changed HDD's to see if that was the problem but still the same.

Yep done that already, but I am going to try SL again as soon as the myHack has finished doing its thing to my USB

Now thats the interesting bit. After I installed SL the last time, I did as myHack requested, installed the extras from my source folder, rebooted from the USB stick (as I could not boot from the HDD) and it booted to the SL desktop, however I had no ethernet, it was not showing in System Properties at all.

Like I said, I'll give it another go, but failing that I'll be going back to Win 7 and will have to save up for a Macbook :(

Do you have a multi-boot partition (Win 7 & OS X)?

• Administrators

Like I said, I'll give it another go, but failing that I'll be going back to Win 7 and will have to save up for a Macbook sad.gif

You could also buy a supported Wifi Broadcom card off ebay to get you networked. They cost peanuts, literally.

I recommend Broadcom/Dell1390 (802.11b/g). Dell1490 (802.11a/b/g) works as well.

Do you have a multi-boot partition (Win 7 & OS X)?

Nope plain vanilla hdd formatted and ready to rock. (in fact I have two different HDDs I can use)

You could also buy a supported Wifi Broadcom card off ebay to get you networked. They cost peanuts, literally.

Not really needing internet to be honest, just wanted to get EPD installed (which needed an internet connection).

Tried again last night, kept getting boot:0 errors after reinstalling SL to the USB stick (the same stick and SL I used previously that DID install!), tried to look into it and apparently its a problem with writing to the beginning of the HDD.

Gave up, tried far too many times for me to be convinced of the stability on this laptop even if I did manage to get it installed eventually, so called it a day and installed Win 7 again. At least that works LOL

Thanks for the help though guys, much appreciated.