D820 NVIDIA with Mountain Lion: no video

Glougloumouth

Hi,

I have a D820 NVIDIA with the 1920x1200 screen. I used MyHack 3.1.2 to create an USB Boot Disk from my purchased ML download. No issues, I select the "Dell Latitude D820, Nvidia graphics card" boot pack and selected it as my custom Extra folder. Installer starts and proceeds.

On first reboot, I never get GUI to kick in. The D820 just hangs at the attached photo, can stay there for hours and does nothing else.

I can start in safe mode (-x) but then I am stuck in VGA and it is hard to complete the EDP installation as parts of it does not work in safe mode.

What did I miss?

Also from another thread (https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1633-dell-d820-mountain-lion/), it looks like you are saying the D820 NVIDIA would not be supported with Mountain Lion?

Let me know, thanks a lot for the amazing site.

post-765-066825400 1346032503_thumb.jpg

yeah it's not supported in ml. no hardware acceleration for it in kernel.

Thanks a lot for the fast answer. Oh, this is bad...

Would it be possible to use the Lion driver on Mountain Lion? Asking the experts before reinstalling Lion to grab kernel extension :-)

Cheers,

Gl.

• Administrators

well another issue is that ML uses 64 bit kexts only and the NVHal40 kext is only 32 bit so there is also that factor. also i am not sure lion kernel will work on ML i know the ML DP1 kernel still had support for 32 bit kexts but it will bitch alot while booting in verbose. you would have to see all the drivers being used in Lion for graphics and add them in to ML as well. but it still wont have hardware acceleration. i tried on a similar model the d620 nvidia and it was very unusable compared to snow or lion when it worked correctly.

well another issue is that ML uses 64 bit kexts only and the NVHal40 kext is only 32 bit so there is also that factor. also i am not sure lion kernel will work on ML i know the ML DP1 kernel still had support for 32 bit kexts but it will bitch alot while booting in verbose. you would have to see all the drivers being used in Lion for graphics and add them in to ML as well. but it still wont have hardware acceleration. i tried on a similar model the d620 nvidia and it was very unusable compared to snow or lion when it worked correctly.

I had ML working on my D820 nvs110 briefly yesterday.

Used the nvdahal40g7 kext that comes with lion and have injected my nvs device ID in info.plist in this kext.

That way it worked, although i had no audio, and no battery management and some other thngs missing,too.

Anyway, it looks as if it is doable.

Anyone know if this G7 kext is 32 or 64 bit? How can one tell?

After that I wanted to use EDP to bring it to shape ( after all in Lion it worked like a charm) and now I am back to zero with ML again. Boot hangs at the same screen as shown in the first post.

One observation with ML:

My nic (BCM5721) is recognized correctly in Lion, but not recognized in ML even though the BCM kext looks the same. Tried to inject the device id here, too, but this time that did not do it...

Ideas?