Latitude E6520: unable to install Monterey

xtreme93

I am trying to install monterey on dell lattiude e6520 

I have searched the forum in hope that I might find an efi that works 

The closet that I could find was this post. 

When I setup the EFI, it boots to the apple logo and the progress bar stops at half bar, after which nothing happens. 

I hope to get this done and I'll be grateful for any help I can get

• Administrators

Whilst these old Sandy Bridge E6x20 made great Hackintosh laptops in their days, they're unfortunately obsolete for recent versions of macOS given that Apple has long dropped support for HD3000 and nVidia Fermi graphics. Former was last officially supported in macOS High Sierra 10.13, latter in OS X El Capitan 10.11.

Of course there are patches and various tools that'll bring back OpenGL-only support for HD3000 in Mojave and later but, since, Big Sur, such support is pretty poor and HD3000 was already buggy on Hackintosh laptops when it was still officially supported. You may refer to my old E6220 guide which goes up to Catalina (I subsequently sold the laptop). No such workarounds for the nVidia Fermi dGPU, it's a dead-end.

If you insist on trying to run Monterey:

1. make sure you install it without any config for HD3000, i.e. in VESA mode only.
  2. if you have a model with nVidia graphics, make sure you enable Optimus in BIOS (or laptop will only use nVidia dGPU) and disable the nVidia dGPU through a dedicated SSDT (available on the Net and Hackintosh forums through a Google search). Of course, Monterey will then run like crap due to lack of graphics acceleration.
  3. thereafter, install OCLP tool and apply only the graphics patches for HD3000. Make sure to install and boot Monterey with SMBIOS MacBookPro8,1 and the -no_compat_check boot arg.
  4. afaik, E6x20 laptops do not boot macOS USB installers when BIOS is set in UEFI mode, they only do so in Legacy mode. Once macOS is installed, you may change to UEFI mode and adjust your bootloader setup accordingly; it'll then work Ok.
  5. or you may simply opt to install say, High Sierra or Mojave, then upgrade to Monterey and apply the OCLP patch. That may be the easiest way to proceed.

Good luck. Remember to post your E6520 specs in signature.

• Administrators

It's best to opt for Clover on these old and obsolete laptops given that OpenCore is really made for systems fully operating in UEFI mode and it's a little painful to configure in legacy mode. Clover is far easier to configure and change in that respect. Look up my E6220 guide for pointers.

Here is documentation on installing the MacOS Monterey onto the  Dell Latitude E6520.

I could not get the OpenCore Legacy Patcher to work. After applying the root patches, rebooting just goes so far along and then restarts.

Wireless card and Graphics fixes are thus not applied.

I got a Lenovo T420 to play with next.

Documentation.zip Install EFI.zip OCLP EFI.zip