Try my I8Kfan.kext for 64bit kernel

tweakbsd

For all of you guy out there looking for an I8kfan.kext version that work with 64bit Lion Kernels here is it...

It have rewritten some of the assembler code used by the kernel extension to get its status values from to support NATIVE 64bit vanilla kernels.

You can get a fat binary here including both old 32bit and new 64bit code plus a 64bit only version. Compiled with Lion Base SDK and XCode 4.4.1 !

I8kfan-64bit-kexts.zip

Please report any bugs or failed attempts.

• Like 1

Thank you very much.

I tested my Kexts with version 0.2 of i8kfanGUI !!

But in my spare time I'm working on an own I/O Kit based version of the driver which is nearly finished.

I will also provide a new GUI for the driver, since the i8kfanGUI approach uses a daemon to get it's values from which is

real overhead for such little work the driver does. I will solve this problem by providing an IOUserClient Class to manage

the device.

Soon I will provide it here for testing.

Hi,

I tried installing the 64-bit only kext (as I have mountain lion) and cant seem to get it wokring - it shows an incorect low temp.

What version of bios are you using?

Do I put it in just extra or system/library/extensions?

Also I was using version 01 (cant find where to get 0.2) does this matter?

Would love to get fan control working!,

Thanks

Seb

Hi,

I tried installing the 64-bit only kext (as I have mountain lion) and cant seem to get it wokring - it shows an incorect low temp.

What version of bios are you using?

Do I put it in just extra or system/library/extensions?

Also I was using version 01 (cant find where to get 0.2) does this matter?

Would love to get fan control working!,

Thanks

Seb

Here's the link for v.02:

http://potatosaladx.blogspot.ca/2007/06/i8kfangui-for-mac-os-x-v02-with-dual.html

• Administrators

well i got it to run much better by disabling bios control of fan..... it just kept bouncing between low and high before. but unfortunately i have to redo the hack after every cold boot as it is not a permanent edit.... now on to the method

to get into the menu you have to hold Fn and Shift then type 15324 that should get the caps lock light flashing, once it is; hold Fn and R this should open a secret diagnostic window.... use arrow keys to navigate it, up and down selects the options left right changes values enter button enters the values

under the bios thermal control option i set it to disable then i go up to fan 1 pwm and add the hex value of FF and enter that should get the fans at full speed. then i hit Esc to exit.... but that leaves the light still flashing, to get out completely from this mode you hold down Fn plus Shift plus Delete buttons now your out of it completely....

this menu can be accessed at any time. except for the nvidia i tested it had to be done before osx was running so at bios or at chameleon i was able to get in... on the GMA models i was able to enter it at any time even in osx.

then i would load the i8kfan.kext manually using terminal with this command: sudo kextload -v /Extra/Extensions/I8kfan.kext.... it should load if it has correct permissions if not just run a my fix. then the app worked but it does not remember the options you previously set. it seems i also had to set my tjmax value too 100 in the IntelCPUMonitor.kext plist file as istatmeu app was reporting the wrong temps.... i8k was reporting the correct temps istat was 20*c cooler then what it should have been. i compared using cookbook.

ps adding nullcpu and sleep enabler brought the temps down by like 10*c cooler

• Administrators

well i got it to run much better by disabling bios control of fan..... it just kept bouncing between low and high before.

[...]

this menu can be accessed at any time. except for the nvidia i tested it had to be done before osx was running so at bios or at chameleon i was able to get in... on the GMA models i was able to enter it at any time even in osx.

[...]

Same here, I had it running on my D630 Intel and the constant fan flapping was irritating me. It all stopped after I disabled the BIOS Fan Control through the hidden menu. Then it works perfectly (or nearly perfectly as settings cannot be saved and need to be re-programmed after a reboot). My Tjmax is set at 100 (I have a T7500) and I notice a difference of a few degrees (3 to 4) between the T° reported by i8kfan and iStats, the latter being lower.

Re: hidden menu, I can report similar behaviour on the D630 nVidia: it is not displayed when calling it from within the OS, it has to be done at BIOS level or before boot time.

The way I run i8kfan on the Lion-based D630 Intel at the moment is as follows:

1) I copied the 32bit kext to /E/E then ran a full myFix.

2) I launch the app through the user startup settings, but this is not perfect as I get prompted for password every time I reboot or restart the session.

I could not do the same on the ML-based D630 nVidia, the 64bit kext just would not load after running a full myFix (whether kext was copied to S/L/E or /E/E). I have to load the 64bit kext via the "sudo kextload" command before I run the app. But it works well and on that system, i8kfan T° are aligned with that reported by iStats (taking the different iStats refresh interval into account). It's particular useful on the nVidia systems as these run much hotter than the GMA versions, so every bit of cooling fine-tuning helps (albeit at the expense of quietness).

I've tried both v01 and v02 without problems.