Dell Latitude E6230: Big Sur 11.7.2 installation stuck

Amaleic

• Administrators

Hmm, might want to use latest Clover release r5150 by now. I never updated my guide since it was 1st published for Big Sur initial release back in 2020... I had been running with r513x for yonks before updating to r5141 some time ago. Very recently replaced my Big Sur build by Monterey 12.6.2 with r5150 (applied basic OCLP root patch for HD4000 graphics). Would have to try out Big Sur installation again on the basis that current package (at time of writing) will indeed be version 11.7.2.

Points to note:

1. make sure you update Lilu & PlugIns (AppleALC, WhateverGreen, etc.) to latest versions.
  2. good old FakePCIID + FakePCIID_XHCIMux kexts for USB2.0/USB3.0 multiplexing will be Ok up to Big Sur but need replacing by this version for Monterey.

Bear with me and I'll post something soon but if you can't wait, update your setup according to the above.

• Thanks 1

@Hervé, thank you so much. Of course, I will try to install Big Sur again. Maybe I'll try with another bootloader.
Also, I'll be waiting for your post to be updated.

I forgot to say that the installation started only in the case of SMBIOS 11.1. In the case of SMBIOS 10.1, an error occurred when choosing a partition to install.

• Administrators

Perfectly normal, you can't install Big Sur with the SMBIOS of an unsupported Mac model. As such, you have to use something like SMBIOS MBP11,x or MBP12,1 during installation before switching back to MBP9,x/10,x afterwards. In the same respect, note that you won't get offered any Big Sur updates until you use the SMBIOS of a supported Mac model.

I tried to install following your advice and it worked for me! But, I can't enable the wifi adapter using itwlm.kext

Also, my screen brightness adjustment does not work.

I also noticed a strange feature - after installation I only have a Preboot partition and a Recovery partition.

Later I will attach my EFI directory

• Administrators

Nothing strange re: Preboot and Recovery, that's what you obtain since Big Sur when using Clover; it'd be the same with Monterey or Ventura. You'll be booting the Preboot partition.

Re: Intel Wireless, consult the usual online documentation.

Re: screen brightness, all is explained in the dedicated thread I posted here some time ago and the bootpacks I posted in my E6230 guide all contain the necessary  ACPI patches in the provided DSDT. Look these up.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

Re: brightness control, all was normally included in the patched DSDT I had posted.

I've made a fresh (re)install of Big Sur 11.7.2 with Clover r4151; will update my guide accordingly very soon. Meantime, do add/replace the following tables (once unzipped) in the ACPI/patched folder of your Clover EFI (you may also add the SSDT-PNLF table to the list specified tables in your Clover config).

Your IOReg clearly shows Big Sur booted but your Clover config does not show the -no_compat_check that's necessary with MBP10,2 bootpack. Did you use the old alternative method of modifying the macOS file that defines the supported models?

• Thanks 1