e6430

engsmart

Thanks for share this information, Veritae. The internal and external display issue is indeed tricky. I can get an extended desktop using the Dell E-Port DVI along with the laptop's HDMI. I can also get the internal display to work using an alternate DSDT. The problem for me right now is having the internal display engage when I remove the device from the E-port or have it come on when it's not docked. To achieve this, I'm having to boot off 2 alternate DSDTs depending on which configuration I need. I'm trying to consolidate the two into a single file and I feel I'm very close but not quite there yet.

Can someone running this configuration issue the following 2 commands to see if any errors are generated:

sudo kextcache -system-caches

sudo kextcache -update-volume /

The following is my output. It's causing me some non-hardware related issues, especially with my VPN client. The installer wants to rebuild the cache and fails because of this error. Under normal circumstances, there should be no output after running the second command.

My output:

kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleACPIEC]: The following symbols are unresolved for this kext:
kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleACPIEC]: 	_AcpiHwRead
kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleACPIEC]: 	_AcpiHwWrite
Link failed (error code 5).
Prelink failed for com.apple.driver.AppleACPIEC; aborting prelink.
Failed to generate prelinked kernel.
Child process /usr/sbin/kextcache[283] exited with status 71.
Error 107 rebuilding /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache.

Oh that is very interesting.

It sounds like one DSDT or some missing code detects the E-port and changes the output port.

So... if we could use the DSDT to determine if it is docked (I believe that some system enclosure values change if docked and tell the system which type of dock is in use) we could use some logic to set the output port to what you docked DSDT does and if not docked, then set the values for your undocked DSDT.. no? 

Does an event have to occur for the ACPI code in the DSDT to be called or is it constantly running?  If only event driven, we need to catch the dock/undock events.

Regarding my post above, I fixed the issue. Had some kext dependency problems with AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IntelCPUMonitor. Resolved the issues, and the pre-linking problem went away.

Could you explain how you resolved the issues?  I have the same error messages.

Could you also link the DSDT's you are using?  Yes, I understand they are works in progress.

I did some reading and it looks like the _DOS section is what we need to look at for the proper output port.

Veritae

Right now it comes down to the Boot.plist file. If I'm docked into an E-port everything boots perfectly with extended desktop on 2 external monitors. If I boot undocked, I'll get a black screen. The way I get around that is I use an alternate Boot.plist file. It's very very strange. The difference between the 2 files is that one has the device-properties belonging to an NVS 5200 and the other to an HD 4000. The 5200 string allows the laptop's screen to work in undocked mode. Let me clean up my Extra folder and I'll upload it along with the 2 org.chameleon.Boot.plist files...

I got around the kext cache issue by: 1) getting my dsdt situation resolved 2) moving away from AppleSmartBattery and AppleHDA to VoodooBattery and VoodooHDA.

Attached is the Extra folder I am currently using. VoodooHDA is in /S/L/E so you won't find it in /E/E. The file org.chameleon.Boot.U.plist is what allows my 6430's screen to boot when undocked. I simply create a copy of the original Boot.plist, then make a copy of the U file and rename it to org.chameleon.Boot.plist overwriting the original. Then I do the reverse when in docked mode. The laptop is docked about 80-90% of the time so I can live with this temporarily until a permanent solution is found. On my 6520, the display engages immediately when I undock. So I hope some time soon this 6430 will do the same.

In the attachment are some backups and duplicate dsdt files as I was experimenting around. The active one is correctly titled dsdt.aml

Extra6430_DraKuL71.zip 

I'm still having to boot using alternate org.chamelons to switch between native display and external docked displays. I haven't had time to dive deeper into this but I know it has to do with the "pipes" and number of ports the HD4000 has. It's as if it's sending the video to the wrong output. Having the device properties set in org.chamelon seems to guide it to the correct output but getting it to detect on it's own isn't working. It's going to have to be done int he dsdt file to make it work.