Mountain Lion - Coolbook - Speedstep

seb43654

Hi,

After upgrading to Mountain Lion, I thought my mac was working a bit slowly. In about my mac it said 2Ghz Dual core.

When I ran geek bench it told me it was running at 600Mhz, and scored a measly 900 points. I thought come thing was wrong.

After alot of consideration, I splashed out and bought myself a license for coolbook. Before, coolbook also registered the CPU at 600Mhz. Once I activated cookbook, edited and saved the different speedster values and rebooted, it now switches correctly between the different clock speed.

After running Geekbench again, I scored a much better 2872, and the CPU can actually now run at 2Ghz (even if it does go upto 55C)

I recommend that anyone with Mountain Lion on their Latitude gets Coolbook so they can unlock the full performance of the Hackintosh Laptop,

Also - anyone have any good advice on different settings for speedstep on the D630?

Thanks,

Seb

• Administrators

Sounds like SpeedStep was not enabled, did you check in the BIOS setup? 600MHz is indeed the "default" slow speed.

Have not experienced this with my T7500-based D630 nVidia under ML; it runs as expected with simulated SpeedStep and no CoolBook.

Yes speedstep was enabled, and dynamic acceleration turned off. Also when doing the edp configuration, I selected emulated speedstep but it never worked.

I am wondering if something strange happened when I upgraded to Mountain Lion, I restored the computer from the time machine backup made in Lion, and it might have changed some settings.

Nevertheless, it is nice to be able to now set frequencies and voltages for my CPU. I feel really stupid using my laptop when it was only running at 600Mhz, now speedstep works, it operates 3 times faster!

Seb

Hi, yes strange, i was only on 600Mhz.

How did you get that little button on the menu bar for selecting the speed?

Funny of you to call it thistle country! Theres actually not a thistle to be seen where I live. I live on the scottish border (south of edinburgh) - not far from England.

Seb