Dell D630 USB problems

jochenende

Hello,

i have recently installed OS X 10.6.8 via EDP on my D630 without any problems (thanks to the osxlatitude crew).

Everything is working just fine (even native speedstep!), except the USB ports and Bluetooth after the computer wakes from sleep.

I get the device removal message if there's a USB drive plugged in and my usb devices (e.g. my external soundcard or my midi controller) staying disconnected until i remove the usb drive (which is still usable) and plug it back in. Also the Bluetooth device stays dissappeared after sleep (which is not a big problem for me, because i don't use that).

So, i wondered if somebody else in this forum have similar problems and if there's a solution for this issue? Maybe a DSDT edit?

I have already tried to enable the usb wake support in the bios settings, but no improvements. I also was messing around with UHCI and EHCI devices in the DSDT, according to this thread: Link, but also no luck (i don't know much about DSDT editing).

---

Besides, i found out that there's a setting in the bios where you can bypass the password request when the pc came back from sleep, if you have set one for getting sleep to work. So, you don't have to do that no more every time the computer wakes (for me it works).

---

Here my Specs:

Dell Latitude D630, Intel GMA X3100, BIOS A17

Sorry for my bad english guys, i'm from germany ;)

I already searched the forum and the only thread i found relating to my problem was this: https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/992-bluetooth-reconnect-after-wake-from-sleep/

I've tried to edit my dsdt according to this thread, but it doesn't work (i've tried to add the _S3D and _S4D methods to my uhci and ehci devices).

I think the problem is that the voltage from the usb ports gets detached when the computer enters sleep and i wonder that the usb wake support setting has no effect on this behaviour.

In kernel.log i found this, after wakeup:

Sep 8 18:52:40 localhost kernel[0]: The USB device USB Audio CODEC (Port 1 of Hub at 0x1d000000) may have caused a wake by being disconnected

Sep 8 18:52:40 localhost kernel[0]: The USB device HubDevice (Port 1 of Hub at 0x5d000000) may have caused a wake by being disconnected

• Administrators

The USB wake BIOS feature maintains voltage to the USB ports when computer goes to sleep IF AND ONLY IF the computer is plugged into the mains -> no "Disconnected device" message. However, if it runs on battery, voltage is not maintained to the USB ports and having a USB device (like a pen or an HDD) plugged in will cause the "Disconnected device" pop-up message when waking the computer.

PS: I confirm the for BIOS password/sleep operation: my D630s (Intel & nVidia) + my D620 nVidia do not need it for sleep operation. I played with a D830 nVidia back in July and it did not need it either. So far, I only ever needed the BIOS password on a D430.

Okay, thank you!

I'd set the password because of the computer wasn't able to wake without in 10.6.3 and with BIOS A04. So i thought i might need it.

And the "Disconnected device" problem persisted even if the computer was plugged in.

Whatever, i'm glad that it is working now...

Besides, i have read somewhere more often that on some real Macs (such as older MacMini or MacBook) you get those messages too.

I'd like to offer my 2 cents with my regards to OSX 10.7.4 on my Intel D630...

I had to set the timed sleep to "never" for sleep to work at all (otherwise BIOS reset issue).

I didn't need a bios/system password of for sleep to resume properly.

Close lid or initiation of sleep via menu or power button works every time.

By using a Dell dock it allows all plugged-in USB devices to wake when the system is resumed from sleep (obviously only good when it's plugged in).

Enabling the USB-Wake-Support in the BIOS makes it so the system never sleeps, so I had to turn it off.

Hope this helps.

Have you ever tried to reapair your permissions via diskutility? I had to do that after a new install of OS X, otherwise sleep didn't work properly with USB wake support enabled.

I had the "BIOS reset issue" too, but only at first reboot after sleep after a fresh install of OS X. Once I have set the right values in BIOS again - no more problems (rebooting is a little bit slower after sleep because of the progress bar at the "DELL-screen" loads slower, but it works without BIOS reset.)

But thats on Snow Leopard...

• Administrators

Here's my experience with Sleep:

1) D630, GMA graphics, BIOS A17: no BIOS password required, BIOS USB-wake can be enabled without impact

2) D630, nVidia graphics, BIOS A17: no BIOS password required, BIOS USB-wake can be enabled without impact

3) D620, nVidia graphics, BIOS A10: no password required, BIOS USB-wake must be disabled or Sleep will not be operational (immediate wake upon going to sleep).