D830 NVS140M Mountain Lion Install Hangs

Flinch987

Hi Everyone,

Looking to install Mountain Lion on my D830. Followed the very useful guides and have created my USB with bootpack inserted. When I choose to boot from USB and choose -v at boot it makes it to ACPI where it hangs for 5-10 minutes and then completely stalls on [PCI Configuration Begin].

I have never gotten further than this point, and have tried to turn off as many features in the BIOS as possible.

Thanks for help in advance!

Flinch

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

No need to turn too many things off in the BIOS settings. Are you running the latest BIOS by the way?

Things you should enable:

- Multicore support

- SpeedStep

- HDD AHCI mode

Things you can keep enabled:

- USB wake

- Wireless

- BlueTooth

Things you should disable:

- Dynamic Acceleration

- LAN Wake

You could also try -x boot flag to run in safe mode.

Yes I tried that as well.

As an update I was able to successfully boot and install after replacing IOPCIFamily.kext as per the myhack guide.

Now my issue is it hangs on the same point now that the USB is removed and its trying to boot from HD.

Thanks

Flinch

I have the same model: D830, 2,2 GHz Intel Core Duo 2, 3GB RAM, Nvidia NVS 140M with 256GB, 1680 by 1050 screen.

I'm now running OS 10.8.2 with the latest update (12C60). And all works except for sleep. I did replace the wireless card from Intel with a Broadcom version.

To get there I used a USB stick made with MyHack, replaced the Extra's folder via MyHack (so I did not copy it myself).

After building the external disk on which OSX resides, I ran EDP, and after that I ran Disk Utilities to do a full permissions correction. That solved my problems with slow shutdown.

Since then I replaced the backgrounds during logon, changed the screensize in de Themes plist and use my Dell as my Macbook. So far no issues anymore.

I will try to find a solution for sleep, but I can live without that (I never use this anyway).

Just so you know it is possible to get a D830 with this NVidia card working.

Just one thing: in "About this Mac" my videocard is shown as NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS 256 MB. I think this is a string I should be able to replace in the DSDT file. But I did not test this yet.

Yes I tried that as well.

As an update I was able to successfully boot and install after replacing IOPCIFamily.kext as per the myhack guide.

Now my issue is it hangs on the same point now that the USB is removed and its trying to boot from HD.

Thanks

Flinch

• Administrators

Great to get definitive confirmation that the D830 with nVidia 140m can run ML (and to the latest release of the moment) by following the OSXL/EDP process. Recently, it seemed owners of such models encountered unexplained/unresolved difficulties at installation, whilst the D830 with nVidia 135m appeared Ok.

Thanks for sharing.

Hello Everyone,

Thank you all for your replies and help during my process. I have come back to give you all an update on my first hackintosh experience.

First I solved my install issues by first running a full myfix on my USB pen drive. I then booted the machine with both CPUS=1 and PciRoot=0?? and this solved both the issue with it hanging at begin PCI Configuration and then subsequently the all black screen issue.

After my first install things were running terribly, the UI was slow and sluggish and my mouse was ridiculous in that you had to physically swipe multiple times to get it to move inches and sometimes it would "jet" across the screen.

I believe I solved this by manually copying my specific "extras" folder over, when done through the myhack gui it did not install nearly the same folder contents as the original folder. once a new installation was attempted it fired through and kext's seemed to be installed properly. I ran EDP from ML and took its recommended settings for my model and everything seemed to work fine including sleep (I can't remember if I had to hack this afterwards) however it was slow to shutdown (seems there might be a solution for me in a previous post now) and the hibernation didn't work on the win 7 side (annoying, but mildly tolerable). What finally killed it was a boot:0 error and I couldn't seem to get that fixed so I blew away the hd and installed Windows 7 standalone *sigh*

It WAS an adventure and I don't regret doing it, if for nothing other than the experience. Thanks everyone for helping support another community member!

Flinch