E5570: Garbled internal screen in Ventura

rdmo

Hello

I just installed Hackintosh for the first time to my Dell Latitude E5570. Used EFI from here and I booted and using it on Big Sur and updated it to Monterey with no problem.

However, when I tried installing Ventura (by spoofing my graphics to Kaby Lake and spoofing my device to MacbookPro14,1), I can't seem to get the graphics to work. Without graphics acceleration, it works fine. But once I enable graphic acceleration, my internal screen just throwing garbled and glitched image like this:

S__22618116.thumb.jpg.56810b30cf8b30a5388ba6e7f1aba8da.jpg

I noticed that someone is having the same problem as me as showed here. But I saw many people have success using Ventura with their E5570 or with similarly specced device.

I also tried multiple EFIs including the one made by Jake Lo but to no avail. It's still glitching up no matter what EFI I use. Once I start the graphic acceleration, it will throw garbled image.

My specs:

Intel Core i5-6440HQ 

16GB DDR4 2133MHz

512GB NVMe KBG40ZNV512G KIOXIA drive

1080p screen

Intel HD Graphics 530

image.png.b6548f343e6a10fc3d8fcebe6771595a.png

I have attached my EFI that you can download here and also the ioreg file for examination. I have deliberately disabled graphic acceleration on the EFI so I can still use the laptop, otherwise it's straight unusable. What did I do wrong? 

Thank you for your help.

E5570 Ventura.ioreg

• Administrators

Your posted IOReg and Opencore EFI indeed have incorrect graphics settings for Ventura.

SKL_iGPU_properties.jpg

In addition, I don't believe you'd need all those igfx boot args for any macOS version, especially if they come as duplicates of your iGPU injected properties (eg: force-online vs. igfxonln=1).boot-args.jpg

I'm pretty sure all you may require is the force-online injected property or the igfxonln=1 boot arg. See the Whatevergreen User Manual for references. Also note that, afaik, Latitude E5x70 are limited to HDMI1.4, so no HDMI2.0 capability.

Given that Ventura dropped support for Skylake platforms and therefore SKL graphics (no SKL drivers provided), one of the easiest trick is to spoof Kaby Lake (KBL) settings and modify your setup as follows:

1. AAPL,ig-platform-id 0x59160000 or 0x591b0000 (these work for SKL HD520)
  2. device-id 0x5916 (this works for SKL HD520)
  3. use Whatevergreen kext v1.6.1 minimum (and no need of specific boot args)
  4. SMBIOS MBP14,1 during installation after which you may revert to SMBIOS MBP13,1 with -no_compat_check boot arg

Those settings are visible in the Ventura OC EFI posted at the place you linked in post #1, even if it were for the beta version. I can't see why these would not work for you if you have the exact same laptop but see our existing guidance/information on the matter of Skylake graphics in Ventura. For instance:

I suggest you go back to basics:

1) injected properties

AAPL,ig-platform-id        00001659        DATA       // KBL mobile framebuffer
device-id                  16590000        DATA       // KBL iGPU id
framebuffer-patch-enable   1               NUMBER     // Enables framebuffer patching
framebuffer-fbmem          00009000        DATA       // Sets fbmem to 9MB
framebuffer-stolenmem      00003001        DATA       // Sets stolenmem to 19MB
framebuffer-con1-enable    1               NUMBER     // Enables connector con1 patching
framebuffer-con1-type      00080000        DATA       // Sets connector con1 to HDMI type
hda-gfx                    onboard-1       STRING     // Built-in digital audio capability

2) boot args for graphics (may come in addition to other unrelated boot args like audio settings or boot mode)

-igfxonln=1        // forces all displays on-line

3) SMBIOS MBP14,1 for installation, then MBP13,1 with -no_compat_check boot arg if you want to revert to SKL profile.

Tried the suggestions. output to HDMI is okay but still no good at internal display.

Also, when I enable graphic acceleration it seems that I get some kernel panic that forces the system to do soft restart and logged me out of the system.

• Administrators

Injecting EDID info will do no harm.

This being said, you should get rid of all those patched SSDT tables you do not use; this will avoid all possible confusion. Also check that the PNLF table is correct in order to ensure it's not the cause of your issue. You could experiment with the PNLF table included in the Ventura pack of my E7270 guide.

On the kexts side, I've noticed you inject Lilu v1.6.4, WhateverGreen v1.6.4 and AppleALC v1.7.9. For WhateverGreen and AppleALC, these were only published today afaik and Lilu is only at v1.6.3, all that at Acidanthera's Github repo. I'd recommend you grab your kexts from there: https://github.com/acidanthera.

Trying to check the PNLF table first. Changed it with your PNLF table but there's no change. I also deleted the unnecessary tables and the internal display still showing the same thing.

I find something interesting by the way. When I plugged in the external display and mirror it (since it was near impossible to use the external display as extended monitor), it shows that both are the same specs.

At least I can use the laptop with graphic acceleration on right now, but I think it will have more work on the internal display.

image.png.f2662c3e63d08e9c58aa0e4fe50e66ba.png