Latitude 7400: Troubleshooting Thunderbolt3

Baio77

On 2/27/2023 at 2:39 AM, Jazzoo said:

Here's the OpenCore EFI for my Dell Latitude 7400. Everything works great. macOS Monterey 12.6.3 configured for Intel WiFi/BT:

Dell 7400 OC 0.8.9 Monterey IntelWiFi

If you have BCM card remove the kexts Airportitlwm, IntelBluetoothFirmware and BlueToolFixup. Ventura tested and not working well with Intel 9560NGW, if you have Intel 8260/8265 it will work flawlessly. Enjoy!

My specs are:

• Whiskey Lake i7-8665U CPU
  • Intel UHD 620 graphics
  • 14" FHD IPS touchscreen
  • 16GB DDR4
  • Realtek ALC295 Audio
  • Intel 9560NGW wireless

If you want to try this EFI I fixed some things, from ioreg I see there is to fix the TB3 if this EFI starts ioreg and then I fix the TB3.

EFI OS ventura

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1QjGKs9MDcRksvwlk-9QF-wu74D-C7-Df?usp=sharing

Here in this repository is the example for patch TB3 , it works hotplug and sleep\wake. Obviously SSDT-TB3 must be adapted to the TB3 in use.
https://github.com/Baio1977/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X1-Tablet-Gen3-Kabylake-r

• Like 1

@Baio77 Tried your TB3 EFI above with Monterey 12.6 (used Monterey version of AirportItlwm.kext). TB/USB-C port only works if connected during boot. Sleep/Wake appeared working, but I only tested with USB3 stick + USB-C adapter. I've attached my IOReg report, if it helps for you to come up with a patch.

Also, the USBPorts.kext is missing a few ports (easy to fix):

1. HS03 (port: 0300000)  - This is USB-2 personality on the left USB3 connector.

2. HS06 (Port: 0600000) - This is the internal USB for WEB Cam
3. HS08 (Port: 0800000) - This is for internal USB devices (smartCard reader, etc) via an internal hub

Thank you!

IOReg-7400-Monterey12.6.zip

• Like 1

"Thunderbolt Boot Support" Disable.

Open ioreg search for RP05 (here you find your TB3) See that in these 2 Ioregs you have the patch active. So SSDT-TB3 works, I just need to modify it. I leave the modified EFI to test.

https://ibb.co/PYsrFJc

EFI for Monterey.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1QjGKs9MDcRksvwlk-9QF-wu74D-C7-Df?usp=share_link

Try this, ioreg if start, you need to save ioreg after connect type-c hub and TB3 dock. Thank you.

• Like 1

I tested the following configurations, none of them see USB3 device in TB/USB-C port. 

With "Thunderbolt Boot Support" disabled in BIOS:

TEST 3:  No device connected USB-C on boot.

TEST 4: USB3 stick connected on boot.

With "Thunderbolt Boot Support" enabled  in BIOS:

TEST 5:  No device connected USB-C on boot.

TEST 6: USB3 stick connected on boot.

RP05 showed the device, but failed to detect anything connected to it, either on boot, or hot plug in.

BTW, with your earlier EFI (Jan 30 post), with "TB Boot Support" enabled, it hot-plug detects USB3 fine (Haven't tried TB device yet). UPDATE: It actually only worked intermitted.

Again, really appreciates your help here!

IOReg-TEST3-TBBootDisabled-NotCOnnectedOnBoot.zip IOReg-TEST4-TBBootDisabled-ConnectedOnBoot.zip IOReg-TEST5-TBBootEnabled-NotConnectedOnBoot.zip IOReg-TEST6-TBBootEnabled-ConnectedOnBoot.zip

• Like 1

@Baio77  I re-did the test and it WORKED this time!  Both the USB-C and the TB functions worked (TB tested with a DELL TB16 docker), with "TB Boot Support" disabled in BIOS.

This time, I placed the EFI folder to the NVME boot drive, instead of booting from an USB stick. Not sure if this was the reason it failed previously.

There is still a reliability issue to the TB/USB-C port activation. Sometime, I had to leave a USB3 stick in when booting, or the port does not come on alive (RP05 device is empty). Sometimes, I have reboot a couple of times.

Thank you again for your work!

• Like 1