Dell Latitude E5570: how to get VGA and Bluetooth working under Monterey?

xuanhung1509

Hi, I've been researching these 2 problems for a while but seem stuck, so I'm here to ask for your help.

VGA

I followed Dortania Connector-type GPU patching. They note that VGA on Skylake is treated as DisplayPort so it should work. The weird thing is, connecting to an external monitor via VGA makes it go black (means there's a signal?), but nothing happens in IOReg: Under iGPU section, no framebuffers recognize that external monitor (except for the framebuffer@0 for internal display). On the other hand, connecting via HDMI works OOB (a framebuffer recognized it as connector-type of <00 08 00 00>, I don't recall exactly which port).

Bluetooth

I use the default Intel AC 8260 with IntelBluetoothFirmware port. The first time I boot the machine, it worked and I thought I'd made it. But another day, I tried to enable Bluetooth and it stuck at loading and couldn't be turned on.

One more thing I don't understand why, is that even after I've reset and cleaned NVRAM, then tried other's completed EFIs, both of the problems persisted.

I hope some of you might take a look. Thanks.

My specs:

• CPU: Intel i7-6820HQ
  • GPU: Intel HD 530 + AMD R7 M370
  • RAM: 8GB DDR4 2400
  • Ethernet: Intel I219
  • Wireless: Intel 8260 AC
  • 1 x VGA Output
  • 1 x HDMI Output
  • 3 x USB 3.0 Ports (with 1 Port partially defected - it can charge phones, but no MTP signal)
  • 1 x Combo jack 3.5mm
  • PS2 Keyboard + ALPS Touchpad
  • 1 x SD Card

My EFI: https://github.com/xuanhung1509/dell-latitude-e5570-hackintosh

Thanks.

• Administrators

macOS has had no official support for VGA since Ivy Bridge. Beyond Sandy Bridge (the last platforms for which Intel framebuffers connectors could be patched for VGA), the only platforms for which VGA is known to work properly (and OOB) for certain under macOS are Haswell laptops with HD4400 (not HD4600) graphics.

For newer platforms (eg: Kaby Lake R laptops), VGA either works OOB -and sometimes only in mirroring/clone mode of another external screen- or not at all. There are no settings you can deploy to obtain VGA output per sé. Afaik, if VGA output does not work OOB, you'll never obtain it on your Skylake laptop. Here, you'll find details of the experiments I conducted several years ago with VGA output on a Kaby Lake R Latitude 7490, the analog port being available on a USB-c Dock, not as a built-in port of the laptop.

Re: Bluetooth off your Intel AC 8260, you need to follow the guidance posted at ITLWM repo/web site.

NB: I don't know where Dortania folks got the idea that, on Skylake platforms, VGA was treated as DP but that's news to me (and I've been hackintoshing and working on graphics settings for quite some time)! Probably resulted from the observation that a working VGA output registered in IO against a framebuffer connector of DP type but that's quite a shortcut to subsequently state that "VGA is treated as DP"... They occasionally write and affirm incorrect things or contradictory information. For instance, in the installation guide for Skylake laptops, they post settings for HD510 graphics, thereby wrongly indicating that HD510 is supported whilst, in their GPU buyers guide, they correctly state that HD510 is unsupported; macOS has indeed no support whatsoever for GT1 Intel iGPUs ! In the same respect, they state that VGA connector type 10000000 is unsupported in 10.8 and newer, yet I had no issue with such VGA patching of the SNB framebuffer up to High Sierra (and later) on the Sandy Bridge/HD3000 Latitude E6220 I previously owned.

About Bluetooth, it's kinda stupid that I some how pressed Fn+PrtSrc (which enable Airplain Airplane Mode). At first, I didn't realize that, because wifi still works on both macOS and Windows. Only when I tried to boot to Linux and couldn't enable wifi (it confused me for several days) that I realized that it's turned off at the hardware level.

About VGA, alright I give up on it. For the info that VGA was treated as DP, I'm a little disappointed that I consider Dortania guide as a bible to Hackintosh :<