Precision 7550: no brightness control on Comet Lake UHD graphics

vanquybn

Hello,

My internal LCD: 15.6", UHD 3840x2160, 60Hz, Anti-Glare, Non-Touch, 500 Nits.

What I have tried: 
- with or without SSDT PNLF 
- with or without OC boot arguments
- all the ig-platform-id for CometLake/IceLake for each SMBIOS MBP16.3 and MBP16.4

The brightness bar appears but brightness cannot be adjusted. Can you advise?

Please see my images attached.

image.png.cb2e11044cb379d54a0909c5923e5b88.png

image.thumb.png.0921017e3693e59d240bdadaa85fdf35.png

image.thumb.png.2f81532bb564fae42993f12616e75471.png

image.thumb.png.e19cb559daf700cba2efbf43454792ae.png

EFI.zip 7550-ACPI-FROM-LINUX.zip MacBookPro.ioreg.zip

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1bttb_aHUCHJb7_asDMIMQuL4l3P7kFBQ?usp=sharing

If start ioreg my EFI .

I looked for info , I guess you are talking about your Dell Precision 7550 , test the EFI I passed you , updated OC 0.9.2 + kext , I modified some SSDT , see I2C and I added others respecting the SMBios used (MacbookPro 16.4 the most suitable , see CPU characteristics , https://www.intel.it/content/www/it/it/products/sku/201897/intel-core-i710850h-processor-12m-cache-up-to-5-10-ghz/specifications.html )

• Administrators

What system is this? What iGPU? Are you referring to the Precision 7550 listed in your signature?

Screenshots are next to useless, what you need to post are zipped copies of bootloader's EFI folder and IOReg. Copy of saved SysInfo always useful too. Also, you mentioned OC boot arguments but forgot to specify them so that's not useful neither. Please be specific if you want proper assistance.

Ice Lake video settings would be useless too since they apply ICL platforms with Iris Plus graphics. Comet Lake graphics are fully supported with Coffee Lake (CFL) drivers. For references, I suggest you consult our dedicated thread about supported graphics available in our Technical Info forum section and the WhateverGreen user manual.

In all likelyhood, you use incorrect CML settings and/or an unsuitable SSDF-PNLF table. Impossible to say more until you post the required troubleshooting material.

• Administrators

@vanquybn woaw, what a set of patched ACPI tables! Are you sure you need all of those?

Anyway, I'm tempted to say your issue could be related to conflicting ACPI info for your CML UHD630 iGPU. In IOReg, we can clearly see it registers against ACPI device "IGPU" but you inject at least 2 tables that keep referring to ACPI device called "GFX0". If you look at your PNLF device in IOReg, you'll see that its ACPI path refers to "IOACPIPlane:/_SB/PCI0@0/GFX0@20000/PNLF@0":

P7550_PNLF.jpg

Now, You're gonna say "so does my IGPU device in IOReg":

P7550_IGPU.jpg

I do things quite differently on my Hackintosh laptops and:

1. rename iGPU device "GFX0" to "IGPU" in my Clover configs; I think you should do the same in your OC config.
  2. use a SSDT-PNLF patched table that refers to PCI0.IGPU and PCI0.IGPU.PNLF, not to GFX0 in any way. I think you should do the same in your SSDT-PNLF & SSDT-GFX0 patched tables. Bu I must say that I don't quite understand why you use the latter; it injects stuff you got in your OC config and it probably causes conflicts too.

Here's my E7270 IGPU and PNLF IOReg data in comparison:

E7270_IGPU.jpg

E7270_PNLF.jpg

At present, iGPU device appears under the name of IGPU but that's probably just renamed by WhateverGreen. I would suggest you apply the above 2 suggestions and disable that SSDT-GFX0 table of yours.

Where did you obtain your OC EFI folder from? Or did you make it yourself?

• Like 1

I have just add rename to OC and SSDT-PNLF, the devices appear as your laptop (you can see in IOReg attached below), but Brightness control still not working.

About EFI folder question:

Yes, I made it myself but the SSDT I copied from Dell Precision 7650, it almost same as 7550 except the cpu.

I also tried a clean EFI with all SSDT and config option described in Dortania guide, and Brightness does not work: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/config-laptop.plist/coffee-lake-plus.html#acpi

IOReg20230529.zip