[Solved] D630 (GMA X3100): Blinking white line when attempting to install Snow Leopard

Lost-Entrepreneur439
Go to solution Solved by Hervé,

I'm trying to install Snow Leopard on my GMA D630 using this EFI I got from Reddit - https://gitlab.com/iamroo_t/efis/blob/master/EFI.zip, normally I make my own EFI using Dortania's OpenCore Install Guide, however it doesn't cover Merom CPUs, I believe the EFI has both chameleon and clover (EFI folder for clover, extra folder for chameleon), I'm trying with Clover because chameleon seems quite complicated, I still don't have any experience with Clover (i only started hackintoshing this year -- my experience is all with OpenCore), however I'd assume the process is the same for OpenCore, format in disk utility with GUID Partition Map, create USB following the section in the dortania guide (https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/installer-guide/mac-install-dmg.html), mount EFI, copy the boot file and EFI folder to the EFI partition (I also tried copying the extra folder alongside these too when just boot+efi didn't work, made no difference), set my BIOS settings as they should be for macOS, however when I try to boot to the USB, it makes activity for about a second, then it stops making activity and the laptop freezes on a flashing white line. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? Am I not setting up Clover correctly?

• Administrators

You'd need a very old 32bit Clover version if you can find a suitable copy somewhere. Don't go re-inventing the wheel for such a totally obsolete laptop, just use myHack and the Snow Leopard bootpacks we posted years ago. But keep in mind that you won't be able to do much with Snow Leopard on a D630 in 2023. You won't even be able to browse the web properly because the browsers are so old.

If you really want to run something decent on a D630, you have to use a model fitted with a Penryn CPU and the nVidia NVS 135M dGPU. The GMA version are good for nothing today as far as Hackintoshing is concerned.

I couldn't find a 32-bit Clover version, and trying to use myHack results in the message "/var/folders/lp/rsnlrlv11c722x0pjty4v4f40000gn/T/.plx_tmp.AFtAlY: line 68: 10923 Killed: 9 ./myhack --gui $jogsubiSOEisfoISJFEosUBXzkuBSOUosdjsoruSROUHEgsoeuGzmhbkeeuigw07429yagsoIUAg90271", I'm assuming it doesn't work on Ventura (which is what my computer is running), I tried my laptop too (which is running Catalina) and got the same result.

After it was installed, macOS Mac OS X didn't boot. The loading wheel locked up, and if I try verbose it freezes on a line about power management, I've attached a screenshot of where verbose freezes. I remember I let it sit for 10-15 minutes and it started making HDD activity again and sometimes DVD activity (despite there being no DVD in the drive, I heard the drive moving?), however it didn't make any further progress.

PXL_20230604_023547164.jpg

• Administrators

Did you use myHack v3.1.2 as posted here?

And the relevant Snow Leopard bootpack as posted here?

Did you set your BIOS settings as posted here?

What wireless card do you have inside your D630? If Intel 3945, remove it and replace it by a supported model as listed here.

NB: you can't use myHack on any OS X/macOS version past Mavericks. Conti never updated it afterwards and got out of the Hackintosh scene.

• Administrators

Which pack did you use?

What CPU do you have in your D630 (it'll show in BIOS settings)?

What's the version of Snow Leopard you're installing? It probably ain't 10.6.8 but 10.6(.0) or 10.6.3.

D630_X3100_LoRes_10.6.8

Actually, just discovered what might've been the issue -- I was using Mac OS X 10.6.7 instead of 10.6.8, could that be the issue? If so, that's going to be a real big problem as now I only have access to Catalina and newer, which myHack doesn't work on. Is there a 10.6.7 pack I can use?

• Administrators

Just verified the bootpack and all is Ok afaik. Try and boot Chameleon with boot args -f -v. Just press a key when you see the initial Chameleon boot screen to obtain the prompt and type the boot args before pressing [ENTER]. Former arg will ensure you boot without cache.