Bluetooth Lost on Wake from Sleep

djpumpkin

OK - finally I have found the cause. Bluetooth firmware on my Dell D630s is at revision 2.X or 3.X The one machine I have seen this work on is at 4.x You can find the firmware in windows by checking device properties / advance in windows. I think it also shows up in the apple system profiler under bluetooth as a 4 digit number.

It seems very difficult to update the firmware on these things. Probably not possible to update through Mac OS X. The windows firmware updates from dell are included in the driver installers - none of these seem to work on Windows 7 :(

I'm probably going have to install XP on a spare drive just to run the driver / firmware updates.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrators

You don't necessarily have to revert to XP to update firmware and/or drivers. Win7 installs generic BT drivers (although from memory, the DW350 was listed as such initlally) but I installed/loaded XP/Vista drivers and updated firmware of BT adapters 350 and 360. Once this is done, it's then possible to right click on the BT task bar icon and activate/deactivate BT radio from Win7, something not available with generic drivers.

The driver for the DW360 can be obtained off Dell's web site under Latitude D630/D830 support. Just download and execute the Vista driver entitled 'Dell 360 Bluetooth adapter 2.0 + EDR / 2.1 + EDR'. The Firmware will be updated if necessary during the process.

The DW350 is a bit older (a Toshiba piece of hardware). The D620/D820 XP driver and Toshiba application can be installed under Win7 regardless of the warnings. XP driver uses firmware 2422 and is fully compatible/supported under Mac OS X (all services, including resume on wake). That's the version to use. Do not use Vista driver which updates to firmware 3538 as that appears incompatible with Mac OS X. If you have that version, downgrade to XP 2422 version.

I don't see any firmware rev 4.x on any of my adapters... That could be driver version.

I've updated my research post on Bluetooth adapters: http://forum.osxlati...ers/#entry12926

Looks like I spoke to soon. The issue is has shown up on the one (seemingly) working bluetooth laptop.

This one has firmware (HCI version) 4.4870 my other machines now have 3.4315

So it would seem that firmware is not the issue. I think I'm going to have to give up on this and just leave bluetooth deactivated. It's not such a big deal. My only real concern was that this bug might be an indication of some other problem - but all of my machines are otherwise stable.

Thanks for your advice though.

What I found strange and frustrating about the bluetooth issue is that the failure to recover from sleep was seemingly quite random. Sometimes it would take 5 sleep / wake cycles before it failed - other times it failed on the first wake.

There seem to be so many firmware and hardware variants for the bluetooth module, some people seem to be lucky - some not.

OK - I've found something significant.

I just did a clean install of OSX Snow Leopard / EDP run and tested the Bluetooth on wake. It worked.

Because I have dell DW1395 wifi cards in all of my machines I have to patch the IO80211Family.kext before the card is recognised.

After getting the wifi working the bluetooth no longer recovers from sleep. So - it looks like a conflict (either hardware or software) with my wifi setup.

I'm guessing hardware as having the vanilla IO80211Family.kext present doesn't cause the loss of bluetooth - and the hack simply adds the device ID to a plist file.

• Administrators

If the firmware on the adapter is of the supported version, I would suggest to look at the patched IO80211 kext.

My D630 nVidia has DW1395 Wifi card and BT350 adapter (firmware v3.2422). BT works perfectly after wake.

I swapped the adapter with a BT360 (firmware v3.4315) from another D630 and did some tests. I have patched IO80211Family.kext v3.1.2 in /E/E and its contains the following plugins:

. AirPortAtheros21.kext, v4.2.4

. AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext, v4.2.3

. AppleAirPortBrcm43224.kext, v4.2.6

. IO80211NetBooter.kext, v1.0.1

After a dozen sleep/wake tests through either close/open lid, or Fn-F2/On button, or AppleMenu->Suspend/On button, I can report that I did not experience a single issue. Wifi immediately resumes on wake and Bluetooth some 30-40s later. No subsequent Bluetooth failure/misbehaviour at all.

EDIT: After 6hrs sleep, BT still resumes Ok on wake this morning.