PCMCIA Firewire on D620

kurt franz

Hello-

First time here :)

Need to know if it is possible to get the PCMCIA slot functional on the D620. Currently running 10.6.1 vanilla. Have had problems finding any information on this and hoping you can help me out as I need to edit video on this machine and need the firewire port.

The cardbus I am trying to use states that it is compatible with Mac OS 8.6 and above. It is manufactured by Syba if that matters at all.

Much obliged!

KF

• Administrators

wow i havent had that work in ages but at 10.6.1 it should be doable. the later updates of snow kill it, it's in my signature. we might have the kexts archived some where. you need a pcmcia kext i want to say chunan for some reason. ahh found it, got to love google..... https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/166-pcmcia/page__view__findpost__p__1416.....

• Administrators

Ok, I tried the IOPCMCIAFamily.kext on my D620 nVidia and my D630 X3100 HiRes, both running Lion 10.7.5.

I tested this with an old SiteCom dual-USB 2.0 Cardbus (=32bit) card that I've had for at least 10years (was used in my 1996 ThinkPad 760XD to get USB ports under Win98!). Obviously, older 16bit PCMCIA/PC Card devices should be considered unsuitable.

On the positive side:
- it works!
- before installing the kext, inserting the card and plugging a device yielded to nothing.
- after installing the kext and rebuilding permissions, I was able to see & use my USB keys and Webcam once plugged into the Cardbus card.

On the negative side:
- after copying kext to /S/L/E, repairing permissions with myFix resulted in OS crash on both laptops (the gentle text message that advises you to manually shutoff your computer and restart).
- on rebooting, both laptops lost Wireless capability (Wifi found disabled). Still trying to re-enable Wifi with the PCMCIA kext running in parallel... Wireless is active again if the PCMCIA kext is removed and permissions rebuilt.

So, this kext will probably allow Kurt to use his Firewire card on his D620, but at the cost of losing Wireless capability in the current conditions.

• Administrators

On looking into the kext, I found it has a IOPCIFamily kext in its Plugin folder. That's very likely the cause of the post-install wireless issue; I guess it conflicts with the other kext of the same name at /S/L/E level.

I foolishly extracted the IOPCCard kext out of the Plugin folder to copy it to /S/L/E but, again, OS crashed running myFix. On reboot, the laptop now goes to KP. So, not a good idea! Never mind, I'll recover from that tonight...