joe82

D620/GMA Mirror Display Fix

Here is another set of DSDTs for the D520. There seems to be a question on the use of

the AAPL01,DualLink variable. This set of DSDTs set the value to 1.

dsdt_d520_gma_pipe1_md_dl1.tar.gz

This makes both the internal display and an external display unusable.

I'm not sure what to do now. I'm on my netbook typing this because my D520 is now useless. Using the DSDT=NO option gives me no display at all, and using the attached DSDT gives me junk internal/external output.

I do have the original EDP DSDT (that at least gives me internal display) backed up in /Extra Backup, so I'm gonna boot off the install partition and use Terminal to delete this DSDT and replace it with EDP's and see how that goes.

Wish me luck.

Edit:

Figures. The installer locks the drive from writing. Performing /sbin/mount -uw /Volumes/Lion doesn't unlock and mount the drive like I had hoped. :(

Edit2:

Works in single user mode. Currently back at EDP's DSDT and working again

Edit3:

No, it didn't work. Display is still corrupted. Booting into safe-mode and reinstalling EDP. :(

Edit4:

Ok, so myHack doesn't work in Safe boot. Now what? (Display DOES work in safe mode.) Is it as simple as replacing the DSDT file and rebooting?

Edit5:

Sorry for so many edits lol. It IS as simple as replacing the DSDT in safe mode and rebooting lol. Again, sorry guys.

lol ok... it's DSDT=0 you can also use DSDT=whatever it'scalled.aml

Using both DSDT=0 and DSDT=/Extra/ExtraBackup/DSDT.aml both resulted in no internal or external display. I tried both of them first lol.

i think it's case sensitive so if you name your dsdt.aml in lower case it might not read it. for testing dsdt you can have them in extra just give the test one a diffrent name. like test.aml or hopeidontbreakmymachine.aml... lol as long as you define it with the DSDT= parameter so you dont have to touch your known working dsdt.aml

i think it's case sensitive so if you name your dsdt.aml in lower case it might not read it. for testing dsdt you can have them in extra just give the test one a diffrent name. like test.aml or hopeidontbreakmymachine.aml... lol as long as you define it with the DSDT= parameter so you dont have to touch your known working dsdt.aml

Thanks, Bronx. I did not know this. Should make testing out DSDT's for display mirroring/corruption MUCH easier!

I did know that it is case sensitive, so I make sure I have my DSDT file always labeled "DSDT.aml". ;)

Also, for now, I'm going to continue to run the D620 GMA DSDT because I really don't need VGA out more than I need the display to sleep properly.

Joe, I redid some testing, and I wanted to re post my findings. I think, now that I know how to properly test DSDT files, I may have been wrong in my previous findings. (Thanks again, Bronx, for the info. It was a superb help!)

After placing EDP's (Quoted is how I renamed them!) "DSDT.aml" file, your first remake, called "dsdt_d520.aml", and your second remake, called "dsdt_d520_pipe1.aml" in /Extra, I rebooted and specified "DSDT.aml" to be sure that it booted with EDP's DSDT.

EDP revision 65 DSDT:

Internal display: Works fine, sleeps fine, wakes up "pixelated"

External display: None detected

Then, I rebooted and specified "dsdt_d520_pipe1.aml".

Internal display: Completely corrupt. Unusable.

External display: Same as above.

Then, I rebooted and specified "dsdt_d520.aml".

Internal display: Works fine, sleeps fine, wakes up great!

External display: Works fine, extended is great, as well as mirrored.

I think you nailed it the first time, however I did not know how to test out DSDT's properly! Thanks to Bronxtec, I finally have both VGA out and proper display sleep! (Semi-proper. I still have to set a hot corner to sleep the display, sleep the display before I close the lid, and then move my mouse towards the hot corner again to wake the screen up. Without the hot corner, the screen will never wake up. Its been this way since Tiger, sadly.)

did you ever try the password method?

Yes. I have a system password to wake the screen up from sleep.

The screen only goes stupid when I close the lid and don't let the machine sleep, just sleep the display. If I don't use a hot corner to sleep the display before I close the lid (without the machine going to sleep. Thanks, developers of InsomniaX!) and use the hot corner again to wake the display, the display will not wake up.

So, can someone with a similar machine (or a GMA 950) attempt to reproduce the error? Install InsomniaX/Caffeine/SleepLess (all work) to prevent your computer from sleeping if you close the lid. Then, WITHOUT setting a hot corner to sleep the display (Or not using it, at least.), close the lid. See if the screen wakes up automatically when you open the lid. (Mine does not.) If it does not wake up, try tapping random keys on the keyboard, or moving the mouse/touchpad to see if the screen will wake up. (Mine will not.) If it doesn't wake up, tap the power button and hit "R" to restart the machine.

Then, set a hot corner (bottom left, for me.) to sleep the display and sleep the display BEFORE you close the lid. Make sure the machine does NOT sleep when you close the lid, and invoke the hot corner to sleep the display. Then close the lid. Then, open the lid and move your mouse (you have to use your imagination on this one.) away from the hot corner, and back to the hot corner. Magically, the display wakes up!

This is the only way I can close the lid without having the machine sleep. If I have InsomniaX/Caffeine/SleepLess prevent machine sleep and close the lid without using a hot corner to sleep the display, I lose the display altogether. VGA out in mirrored/extended still work. The machine is still working, as the machine is still responding to keyboard shortcuts. (Tapping Fn+Page Up increases the volume, and I still hear it from the speakers, so I know the machine isn't sleeping. Just the display isn't waking up.)

This behavior has plagued a lot of us GMA 950 users since Tiger. I remember having long forum conversations with other GMA 950 users way back from the JaS 10.4.8 distro all the way to Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on why it happens. Some of us even went as far as creating scripts that ran on startup/wakeup that would sleep the display then wake it up again VERY fast. (This was before we knew about the BIOS password workaround, and most people were complaing about the display not waking up from sleep, not realizing that the display wont wake up if you close the lid without sleeping the display first as well.) So its a known problem, just never been any fix as far as I know.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds that you just want your laptop LCD to turn off/turn on (i.e. display sleep) when lid is closed/re-opened, right? Or do you just want to close the lid without anything happening at all, i.e. no display sleep, no computer sleep?

Whatever it is, it differs from initial design, which is to sleep the computer when lid is closed. So you use 3rd party software (InsomniaX/Caffeine/Sleepless) to try and reach your goal. I don't know how it's done, but I guess those software somehow intercept the call for the code that puts computer to sleep. From your description, it also appears that those software do not put the display to sleep and that you have to use hot corner to do that, right? Or does closing the lid, with those software enabled, still put display to sleep but opening the lid failing to wake it?

I'm failing to comprehend how a DSDT edit would help you here.

I recently played around with hot corners on all my Latitudes. Works great, I can either put display to sleep or launch screensaver. With display sleep, I do not have to return to the specific hot corner to wake display, I simply press a key or move the mouse.

If that does not work anymore once your 3rd party software is installed, I'd say the problem comes from them. Don't you agree?