Dell Vostro 1500

MacsRTheBomb

Oh boy Herve,

That's a lot to try and understand. Right off the bat, I don't want to give up yet. Graphics performance is not critical, just want it working. I can say I at one time had this system up and running with ML only to have an annoying freeze not to long after the desktop came up. Everything worked, wifi, mouse, etc. My big question to you is will you assist me in my endeavors tp continue to get this working? I have to idea where to start with what you were mentioning about Windows. Yes, it will still run windows no problem. I had to install Windows just to update the BIOS :)

If I had to go the LION route, I would prefer that than going back to Windows. I am quite persistant.

I have never used a DSDT before, so I will have to learn about that first. All I have done is with EDP and OSXLatitude way ... myHack, EDP, /EXTRA, etc. I though the DSDT way of doing things was another way other than OSXLatitude's. I will look at Olarila's site.

Now, I truly have NO idea what you mean by getting a table from Windows, could you explain?

Thanks SO much for your assistance...I think I can be persistant enough to at least get the basics working on this laptop.

Alan

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Hi Alan,

You seem to be going in there blind or partially blind. Unless you clearly know what each kext does, your method of adding/removing kexts and then checking resulting impact/behaviour is simply wrong. This is not a lottery where you simply mix things and hope to get the correct combination. That's the impression I got from reading your posts but maybe I'm wrong...

You're probably aware that these days, the OS controls power management through a norm called ACPI. The DSDT table is the main table in the ACPI part of a computer's BIOS. It provides to the OS, information about the hardware in order to support/manage it as best as possible. There are tools to extract that table from the BIOS, fix/patch this extraction and compile it for re-use by Mac OS X. Olarila provides such an extraction tool that works from MS Windows.

If I were you, I'd simply abandon this ML installation attempt and revert to Lion. There's a good chance that you will get a near-complete installation using the D630 Intel X3100 bootpack (the DSDT table will in all likelyhood be unusable and need deletion from /Extra) since hardware appears very similar on the Vostro.

Hello Herve,

To be honest, I am kinda going by knowing what the kext does (Audio, Video, mouse, etc) and testing each one, but it seems the combination is hard to find a complete working one. Going in blind, well, agreed on the partly blind.

I think I am going to take your advise and go to Lion. So if understood, get the "package" from D630 Bootpack, delete the DSDT from /Extra and give it a go?

OK. I have Lion OS from my MacMini, no problem. Do I just use myHack to make a LION version instead of a Mountain Lion ? Is it basically that simple?

I did use the "ioreg -lw0 > Vostro1500.ioreg" tool to dump the information to a file...I did attach it for what it is worth. I have no how to analyse this.

Alan

ps. Please be patient...I truly am kinda blind, just diligent it trying to get things to work...hey, I got the 760 working with no experience.

• Administrators

Yes, create a Lion USB installer using myHack and then create a /Extra with myHack using the D630 Intel LoRes bootpack. You could keep the D630 DSDT to start with and hope for the best, failing that, simply delete it.

Hello Herve,

Great news. Using Lion (not ML) and the D630 Low Res (Low Res is a must) I got the Vostro 1500 running at about 95%. Wifi, etc. all work, graphics look great. I can see 2 issues I am going to have to get nailed down. Sound does not work at all, and a very strange, and hard to explain mouse/trackpad issues. Most of the time, the left mouse button does not work, but the right one does when I enable the trackpad's clicking features. Take it off and the mouse works normal. Also, I cannot get the sound to work. So far that is all I can see that doesn't work. Any suggestions?

• Administrators

Have a look in the BIOS for the sound card model. I know it's listed on Latitude D models, hopefully it'll be the same on your Vostro. Then we can look for the right driver, if it exists.

For the Mouse/TrackPad, you could try and install some of the well-known kexts like VoodooPS2 or Slice's kexts.

I got audio (speakers) working...yippie. I am still having issues with getting the internal mic working correctly, the SDcard reader and the trackpad (I am really beginning to believe that the trackpad just isn't supported on this model like some of the Macs are not as well).

I have a very dumb question, but I have to ask. When I make a change to the /Extra (like adding a kext), I run kext wizard on the /Extra directory, get out, run myHack and run the full myFix and then reboot. Why is there an option when running the kext wizard to check the /system/Library/Extension directory? Just adding the kext in the /Extra directory and then running the pre-mentioned tools, isn't the S/L/E updated as well? At this stage, any stupid question may result in something I am missing.

While trying to get the audio working correctly, I found a tool called HDA Wizard to make the AppleHDA.kext. Have you heard of it?

I am currently running Lion 10.7.2 after working many hours trying to get ML installed on it with no luck.

I have just about everything working on this Vostro 1500, but the internal (and external for that matter) just don't work correctly. When I go to the sound section "Speech" and Voice Recognition, I go to calibrate the Microphone (Digital) entry and when I speak, I see the meter move, so I know it hear me, but anything like using speech recognition to FaceTime, it just doen't work, and if it does, it is 95% static.

These are my installed kext files currently in /Extra/Extensions/

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

BCM5722D.kext

FakeSMC.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

Patched_10.7_AppleRTC.kext

VoodooTSCSync.kext

kextlist.txt

lspcidrv.kext

I already have redone this laption twice because of a bad kext setup, so it is time to ask. Please let me know if there is a way to get this internal mic working.

• Administrators

If you see the bar move as you talk, then, yes, it appears that the mike is working.

Have a look at the following post, it explains what you have to do to actually get voice recognition in applications:
http://forum.osxlati...h__1#entry12768

If you have everything working on that Vostro, and it appears you do now, we should add it to the list of supported models. Are you still running with the D630 Intel LoRes DSDT table? Your contribution is very helpful towards a new EDP-entry for the Vostro1500.