D520 Bootpack

bobdamnit

Hey guys. Been a while. Been running OS X 10.6.8 and haven't seen a reason to upgrade until recently. So I purchased OS X Lion (10.7 app) from Apple and decided to give it a go.

I must admit, its been a while since I've installed any OS X system. Snow Leopard has been running great using EDP so I haven't messed with it. But, the time has come. Its time to upgrade. :)

Not having a flash drive handy, and thinking I would be smart about this, (I do have a LOT of upgrades after install, yanno?) I decided to partition my hard drive with a 20Gb partition labeled "Installer" and the rest as "Mac OS X Lion". The names give away what I intended to do with the partitions. I used GPT, as I do not intend to install Windows at all on this machine.

I removed the hard drive from my D520 and hooked it up to my desktop. I then booted my desktop and fired up my 10.6.8 virtual machine and mounted the physical drive as a virtual drive. Then I proceeded to use the USB guide to restore the Lion image to the "Installer" partition. MyHack worked flawlessly and I chose the D520 Bootpack /Extra folder after restoring the image to the partition.

I shut down my desktop and installed the hard drive back into my D520. The "Installer" partition picked right up and fired up Chameleon like it should. I then formatted "Mac OS X Lion" just to be safe. The install went perfect. MyHack asked me what /Extra folder I would like to use. I chose "My Own" and specified the /Extra folder for the D520. Install succeeded and I rebooted.

Chameleon fired up again, and I tapped F8 to get a prompt. At the prompt, I selected the "Mac OS X Lion" partition and chose to use the verbose prompt. OS X started just fine. I got to the setup screen, but I was faced with the "Before you begin, please install a keyboard" error. Huh...

I decided that MyHack must have installed the incorrect /Extra folder. So I went to my neighbors house and asked if I could borrow a flash drive. He gave me a tiny 256Mb drive that I threw the D520 Bootpack /Extra folder on. I reinstalled Lion. When MyHack asked me to specify an /Extra folder, I chose the /Extra on the 256Mb flash drive. Install went fine. Reboot into "Before you begin..." error again. Ok, something is not right. And damn... I don't have a USB keyboard. :(

So, is the D520 Bootpack for Lion using an updated (10.7.X) or incorrect (for the D520) VoodooPS2? Why isn't ApplePS2 taking over instead? If I boot single-user and remove VoodooPS2, will ApplePS2 take over and give me basic function to finish setup and install EDP? Can I skip setup and install EDP using just a trackpad (Which works!) and get the keyboard working? Perhaps use a similar Bootpack setup with a different VoodooPS2? So many questions...

First and foremost, thanks for ANY help you can give me. Sorry for such a long post, but I wanted to be specific because that will help you guys help me diagnose this problem. And, as I'm a week into research and 2 days into implementing, (I'm a busy guy, and I have limited free time to work on this lol) I would love to get this up and running. I'm so close I can taste it!

I'm up for anything, just keep in mind I'm limited to a 256Mb flash drive and a 1Tb external hard drive with about 230Gb left for usage. :/

Edit:

Ok, silly me. My desktop had a USB keyboard. I hooked it up before boot and restarted the D520. Setup picked up the USB keyboard and the setup process went fine. Afterwords, the internal keyboard works great. Even after a few reboots. Yahoo!

Now, I have no wireless. My D520 originally came with a Broadcom 4311 that has since died on me. I replaced it with a Broadcom 4312 that doesn't work in Lion. Both cards were Dell TruMobile cards. (1340 and 1345 respectively, I think.) The 4312 worked in Snow Leopard, but doesn't in Lion. Running "lspci" in a terminal does indeed find the card and labels it a "Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (Rev 01) card. Using "lspci -nn" shows ID's as "14e4:4315".

Must I rebrand it? Is it as simple as running my Ubuntu LiveDVD and figuring out the DevID's and placing them inside the BCM43XX kext? This, of course, wouldn't be a problem if EDP didn't require an internet connection. :(

Also, I'm leaving the original inquiries because they are unanswered. While my issue is resolved, I still wonder if the D520 Bootpack is flawed somehow. Perhaps we could look into it?

• Administrators

The keyboard issue is not specific to the D5x0, I know it also happens on D6x0. Try and boot with boot option 'USBBusFix=no'.

Re: Wifi cards, yes it sounds like you need to rebrand them/add ID to hardware list. Or look at kexts.com, there may be something there.

The keyboard issue is not specific to the D5x0, I know it also happens on D6x0. Try and boot with boot option 'USBBusFix=no'.

Re: Wifi cards, yes it sounds like you need to rebrand them/add ID to hardware list. Or look at kexts.com, there may be something there.

Definitely need to find a kext for my WiFi card. Inside IO80211Family.kext, I cannot find any links to BCM43XX.kext. I do see other BCM kexts, but adding my ID's to the plists for them does not work. I found a few that mention my ID's so I'm going to give those a try before I rebrand my card. I dont want to waste a perfectly good card. (Not sure it will work in Linux afterwords, and I use a LiveDVD on this machine quite a bit.)

Thanks for the USBBusFix=no hint. I re-ran the setup process this morning and that indeed solved the issue.

Edit:

Found a IO80211Family and IONetworkingFamily that gave me WiFi, but it wont let me turn WiFi on inside of OS X. I'm wondering if maybe its turned off by FN+F3? If so, how would I fix that? (I've tried using the key combo, but I get no WiFi light and it doesn't turn on.)

Going to remove them and try Broadcom43xxFamilyRev2.kext and see how that works. Lots of users here in the forums reporting it works with Lion and their BCM cards.

Second edit:

Broadcom43xxFamilyRev2.kext worked awesome. Going to have to remember this. Thanks for the great forums guys!