The Perfect Mini PCIe WiFi and Bluetooth Combo card for Notebooks

Leon

Meanwhile I figured out that my BT issues were related to poor BT signal strength (never happened before) with the pairing of the magic trackpad, hence the mouse pointer erratic behavior - pretty simple to solve after all by relocating the magic trackpad. :)

Check out this guide by Leon. It said you'll need to replace the wifi/BT card. Run lspci -nn from the terminal and post your result here to see what cards are in your system.

Super sorry for the late response!

I couldn't figure out how to upload the photos here, so I put them on my personal webspace:

http://www.users.on.net/~adport/photosforleon/index.html

We'll need to see some pictures from inside the machine to determine where to start.. Please open up and take a few shots :)

Also, when running that nspci command the terminal didn't recognise that it existed. Instead I ran the system_profiler command.

The entire readout can't fit here, so that's also on the personal webspace link above.

Thanks for all the help, hopefully we can get somewhere!

• Administrators

Hey Mate,

You lost me a bit, its the same model as mine.. so ya, the card that i recommend here will work.. however bluetooth seems to have some issues that i havent figured out yet.. 

Yeah I know that I have an intel centring card, and I've bought the exact model of card Leon recommended. If you look at the photos, I have a few of the new card. My problem is that I physically can't figure out how to replace my old card with my new, as the intel centrino card already in it appears to have this black strip over it as well as two wires attached. You can see all this in the photos

I'm hoping that the "easily lift up" is really easy :P I was afraid that I might damage the parts, I guess I'll open it up and struggle around with it for a bit more. I need to physically install it before getting the software to work!

• Administrators

Hi,

1. Dont remove the battery (sorry jake, but you will break it)
2. Remove the black strip, its just a simple 2x connector, nothing to worrie about
3. Remove the antennas
4. Remove the screws
5. Replace the cards and do everything in reverse

Once you are back into OSX and have installed the kexts via EDP you will notice that bluetooth is a pain in the *beeep* .. i am still working on stabilizing it, works perfect on other machines but on ours it have some bugs... wifi will work great.

Thanks Leon that's super helpful. I'm not too worried about the bluetooth, wifi is my main interest. Hopefully removing the black strip won't be too much of a worry, I obviously don't want to break my machine :)