Want to try a D620 this week.

scott0482

I recently acquired a D620 and ghosted our standard XP image onto it and have been using it for a few weeks.

Then I was tasked with upgrading an iMac from 10.4.11 to Snow Leopard. I thought I could just download some updates and get it there, but then realized they have to buy Snow Leopard. But then I realized it was $30 so I figured, why not put this on my D620 so I can experiment.

So that is what I am thinking.

I want to Dual Boot however.

I briefly read a few things and think I know where to start.

If someone could give a very basic outline of what to do, I think I can get the specifics down.

I have a WD 120gb sitting on the desk next to me. I have a usb to sata dual hard drive dock. I have external usb hard drives I could load an image to I do not have a usb thumbdrive larger than 4 gb.. I can drive to best buy tonight and scoop up the OSX cd for $30.

So I think what I want to do is the following:

1. Burn CD made from D620SLV1.iso

1a. ? change bios settings on laptop (Do I need to, and which ones?)

2. Boot from cd, eject, put in SL cd, hit f5 until it works

3. Install OSX and figure out how to give it a 40gb partition (should that be enough?)

4. Whatever else it says in here: http://www.r2x2.com/users/lsb/weblog/1b8db/

5. ? Boot from Windows 7 DVD, install to a 2nd 40gb partition ?

6. ? What file system should the rest of the drive be?

http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive do I make it mac format and put this on the windows partition? is there free software to read mac partition on PC?

Thanks in advance

Scott

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am posting from my Hackintosh

it took maybe 45 minutes to install. osx install said approx 25 minutes left most of the time..

so yeah, i have a d620 with snowleopard 10.6.3

i am downloading 1gb of updates right now.

any may to make multi-touch or side scrolling work on the touchpad?

i plugged in my iphone and i do not see it in finder

is something missing? usb driver? i was going to copy the pictures of took of the install and post them on the forum

I am trying to upgrade /Extra.

.. tada.. we are done with first part...

Upgrading /Extra...

1. Remove your "/Extra" folder (remember todo a backup)

2. Download the attached extra.zip (yes, from the link above..) and unzip it to /Extra

3. Open up a "Terminal" (Applications/Util.../Terminal)

4. start by typing "sudo su" [ENTER] ... enter your password and hit [ENTER] (yes, without the " ")

5. type: cd /Extra [ENTER]

6. type: ./edptool.command [ENTER]

7. Follow the instructions (READ EVERYTHING)

when i get to ./edptool.command it says "No such file or directory"

I downloaded a few of the extra.zip files and none of them have that edptool.command file in them.

what do i do?

I restarted and the touchpad doesn't work.. i am going to try to put back the old extra folder..

i put back the old /Extra folder and touchpad works again.. of course i want the scroll which apparently is part of that modified extra folder..

hey scott .. how are you unziping the file? I take it you are just using the macosx to unzip? Just copy and past the current /extra then delete /extra. That will leave you with a /Extra Copy folder. Then use macosx to expand the extra.zip on your desktop and drag it to the root folder. Then open /extra and click on edp.command -- should work since it's working for everyone else.

I just double clicked the extra.zip file from firefox downloads and it automatically unzipped into my "downloads" folder. then i renamed the /Extra folder to Extra.old and moved the one I unzipped to the root of my HackintoshHD

I did not see edptool.command in there.. but maybe edp.command was and I didn't see it.

I have bigger problems now. I installed 10.6.6 update and my wifi is gone now.

Any way to get that back? I have the broadcom card.

I see in your signature that you are running 10.6.6, so there is hopefully a way to fix this. Also, touchpad now shows up in the preferences, but it says no touchpad is connected.

Hopefully I can try replacing /Extra again and looking for anything that ends in .cmd or .command and running it.

I downloaded this Extra.zip btw.

30th. November - 2010 - Version 1.4 released

http://www.osxlatitude.com/groups/d4xosx/wiki/a92b0/attachments/0dbea/Extra.zip

I just downloaded it on my windows computer and am looking in the zip file..

there is no edp.command or edptool.command in there.

rebuild_mkext.command is in there

Also, i notice there are 2 main folders in that zip file, which i didn't notice in osx. Extra and _MACOSX

So something seems to be missing in the instructions..

looks like i found the solution to the wireless:

http://www.osxlatitude.com/groups/d4xosx/wiki/98753/Rebranding_Broadcom_80211abgn_Cards_as_Airport.html

so i had to install my linksys wireless card as "Ralink" to make it work in Windows7 and now i have to change this broadcom to an apple airport.. fun stuff.

Edited by scott0482

Bingo, I have found your problem. Do not have firefox unzip the file! Download as a zip, then open the downloads folder and double click it from there.I think firefox is not unzipping properly. It's the same thing if you were to unzip from a windows box. It doesn't retain the heir-achy properly. All your problems should go away like a bad dream once you get that extra folder unzipped and installed properly. Run the edptool.command and select no power management as well.

note: If you are still having trouble use safari to get the file.

I just double clicked the extra.zip file from firefox downloads and it automatically unzipped into my "downloads" folder. then i renamed the /Extra folder to Extra.old and moved the one I unzipped to the root of my HackintoshHD

I did not see edptool.command in there.. but maybe edp.command was and I didn't see it.

I have bigger problems now. I installed 10.6.6 update and my wifi is gone now.

Any way to get that back? I have the broadcom card.

I see in your signature that you are running 10.6.6, so there is hopefully a way to fix this. Also, touchpad now shows up in the preferences, but it says no touchpad is connected.

Hopefully I can try replacing /Extra again and looking for anything that ends in .cmd or .command and running it.

I downloaded this Extra.zip btw.

30th. November - 2010 - Version 1.4 released

http://www.osxlatitu...0dbea/Extra.zip

I just downloaded it on my windows computer and am looking in the zip file..

there is no edp.command or edptool.command in there.

rebuild_mkext.command is in there

Also, i notice there are 2 main folders in that zip file, which i didn't notice in osx. Extra and _MACOSX

So something seems to be missing in the instructions..

Okay 2 things:

1 Do NOT unzip from a PC running windows ( period) .. it's a mac osx file in journarled filesystem. Windows doesn't know what the hell to make of it! That's why yer seeing _MACOSX dir. Unzip mac specific files on a mac.

2 I checked this edp release -- very old the command you would use is in fact rebuild_mkext.command. If you would like to use a newer release which I recommend then procceed to item 3 :)

3 Extra.zip edp 1.5 rc6 ( please keep in mind this is beta) and yes the command issued will be edptool.command.

I hope that works.. I just used winzip and winrar to unzip the file on my PC and it is the same as if i use windows to do so.

are you totally sure that the file i am looking for is in that "extra.zip" that i linked to above?