D420 Core Duo 10.6.7 to 10.6.8 Upgrade Issues

trafsta

I've had 10.6.7 installed on my Core Duo Latitude D420 for a year or two now, and decided to upgrade to the latest version of EDP yesterday, followed by running the 10.6.8 combo update (from apple.com), which worked fine, followed by the reinstall of the latest EDP, which is now causing my system to lockup non-stop every 15-30 seconds for 15-30 seconds at a time (that rainbox spinning thingy comes up all the time). Wifi does not work (I can see Wifi networks but cannot connect to them [it won't get an IP address via DHCP] and if I give it a static IP and try to ping something it says "no route to host"...). USB flash drives do not work either, which is a problem because I cannot even try to reinstall the 10.6.8 combo update since I only have it on a USB key, not the hard drive, and I have no built-in DVD drive on this D420 nor do I have a wifi connection anymore... a USB mouse works just fine, however. I can't think of any other way to get the combo update back on the laptop to try reinstalling it... hmmm...

Any ideas how I can rectify this issue? I guess I should have just stayed with 10.6.7 sad.gif I had read a few posts indicating that the upgrade from 10.6.7 to 10.6.8 was pretty simple so I did not anticipate these issues!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Administrators

sounds like a corrupted update install. if you have a second osx install on the hdd then boot to it and reinstall the update if not then boot with the myhack installer and use disk utility to repair disk then repair permissions. once finished run the myhack utility and run "install Extra" point it at your Extra folder. if that still does not get you back then you can reinstall osx on top of the existing install if you have data you dont want lost or a clean install unfortunately.

After updating to 10.6.8 I had a crash at start up. I booted from the myHack USB install drive and reinstalled Extras then did an install EDP after it booted up. I repeat this every time it crashes after toying around with hardware options and software installation tests. Seems to work but occasionally I it hangs at the apple logo. I still have a lot to figure out before it is stable enough to enjoy.

Here is what I did and so far seems to be working:

DELL 420 Core Duo OSX 10.6.8 with a Recovery Partition

DELL HY157 Bluetooth 2.0 360

3G wwan hspda umts Sierra Wireless mc8775 (not yet Installed)

WIFI AirPort Extreme Broadcom BCM43xx (from a macbook)

Installed Custom Bios (Via USB Firmware update)

Booted USB myHack Install

Partitioned Drive GUID 2 Volumes (8GB for recovery)

Installed 10.6.0 using myHack and custom DSDT

Updated with 10.6.8 Combo

Installed EDP ran Configuration

Ran myFix and removed problematic extensions

Rebooted

Used Disk Utility to Restore USB mHack volume to 8GB Recovery Volume

(This way I can always boot from this partition when I need to fix problems)

I also made a custom keyboard.bundle file using Ukekele. (Used Logitech UK International)

Still need to get SD Card reader working

IRDA port not working

Serial port not tested

Firewire not tested

External SATA port not tested

Telephone modem not working

Only issue is the LCD Brightness is very dim on every boot and I have to use Fn+F12 to maximize brightness. Any ideas how to fix Fn keys and Brightness at boot?

Seems to work fine but I have not extensively tested