OSX on Acer Aspire 5930 possible? - Intel CPU, nVidia Graphics

IMC042

if the specs are similar it might. but you might want to boot with the boot flags DSDT=0 -f -v

You're a genius bronx. It booted. What does DSDT=0 actually do? It's missing wifi and sound, and I guess there is a better kext for the graphics?

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512MB GDDR3

Intel Wireless WiFi Link 5100 (abgn)

Realtek ALC888

• Administrators

DSDT=0 bypasses the DSDT.aml file in extra as it is not for your model you might want to remove it. then you wont need to use the flag. or clone the drive so your d630 isn't without an hdd and then remove it for the acer hdd. the intel wifi goes without saying... it wont work needs replacement with something osx supports, the sound you will need a new kext for that supports your Realtek ALC888. use myhack to run myfix after the new kexts after replaced in your Extra folder. you will have to remove replace the audio kexts.

I got my spare belkin wireless n+ adapter working so now I have the internet. But I've been researching for 2 days trying to get sound, bluetooth, graphics, card reader working and everything I have tried has not worked.

It still thinks I have the nVidia Quadro NVS 110M EFI 256 MB that was in the dell d630 even though it realized itself that the processor has changed. I'm wondering if I would be better off installing Mountain Lion from scratch on the acer?

Is it not possible to get someone else's installer image for a 5930g with all kexts built into it, or to get a copy of their extra folder and just paste it over what I have already? I would have thought these would be easy to find online! :(

• Administrators

Is it really reporting a Quadro NVS 110M? Or is it a NVS 135M or 140M? It's just that the 110M did not appear to be supported under ML and the D620, fitted with that specific nVidia GPU, was therefore limited to running Lion at best. So, it'd be kind of interesting it your Acer was indeed reporting running the NVS 110M...

I decided to install Mountain Lion on my 5930G using unifail. It recognizes my graphics card properly and I got the n+ USB adapter working again with the ralink kext for wifi. Still have no sound or sleep and can't login to iCloud or App Store. The laptops LCD is bust so I have it connected to the tv via HDMI cable. I am trying to find and install different kexts to get everything working and this means a lot of restarting the laptop.

Is there anyway I can get the laptop to reboot using the keyboard if it freezes during osx boot? Its constantly freezing during boot and not reporting any errors in verbose, it's driving me crazy walking back and fourth every 5 seconds to hold down the power button. My Phoenix BIOS is a piece of crap, has no useful features whatsoever in it to achieve this.