D630 Questions

RedbearAz

I managed to get Lion up and running on my D630. A total n00b mistake I was trying to install over a copy of

iFail L2.

Runs well and I have ordered a new wifi card for it (DW1390).

The only two issues I'm having it's getting quite warm and the fan comes on and stays on. I eventually have to shut down due to the high temp. Boot time seems long to.

any suggestions or comments would be great.

Thanks! :)

• Administrators

As usual, open up the laptop and remove all clogged dust from the fan/heatsink area + clean up & re-apply thermal paste on top of the CPU. Intel Crestline models (i.e. non-Vidia) run pretty cool: my CPU is reported in the high-30s°C to low-60s°C range with X3100 reported a bit lower.

Did you apply the EDP package, especially the emulated SpeedStep kext?

Lion 10.7.5 boot time for my D630 with T7500 2.2GHz CPU, 4Go DDR2-800 RAM and 7200rpm HDD is about 60-70s.

As usual, open up the laptop and remove all clogged dust from the fan/heatsink area + clean up & re-apply thermal paste on top of the CPU. Intel Crestline models (i.e. non-Vidia) run pretty cool: my CPU is reported in the high-30s°C to low-60s°C range with X3100 reported a bit lower.

Did you apply the EDP package, especially the emulated SpeedStep kext?

Lion 10.7.5 boot time for my D630 with T7500 2.2GHz CPU, 4Go DDR2-800 RAM and 7200rpm HDD is about 60-70s.

I re-ran the EDP package hopefully that will help. I have looked thru the forum on how to up date to 10.7.5. What are the proper steps?

Thanks for all the help! :) Updated to 10.7.5 with no problems. Still running quite warm. Had no temp issues with it running Windows 8. I have already blown out the fan and internals a bit ago and I really dont want to have to take it apart if I dont have to. Currently 90 - 99 degrees.

Still thinking it has to be a kext or software issue.

• Administrators

90 to 99°C is way out of what you'd expect on the GMA model and, to me, it must be due to a physical issue. As Bronxteck suggests, do check your CPU heatsink + fan as that's most likely where your problem is.

You should also verify that your temp readings are correct. What CPU do you have and did you update the Tjmax settings inside the plist file of your CPUmonitor kext in /Extra?

90 to 99°C is way out of what you'd expect on the GMA model and, to me, it must be due to a physical issue. As Bronxteck suggests, do check your CPU heatsink + fan as that's most likely where your problem is.

You should also verify that your temp readings are correct. What CPU do you have and did you update the Tjmax settings inside the plist file of your CPUmonitor kext in /Extra?

2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo BIOS ver A18

Intel GMA x3100 144mb

EDP should have updated the CPUmonitor kext correct? If not steer me in the right direction.....

My laptop uses thermal pads not thermal paste and look in good shape and the fan is working.

• Administrators

EDP does not know what CPU any given laptop may have, so it does not "update" the IntelCPUMonitor.kext in /Extra/Extensions. On the contrary, it replaces the kext with a sort of default version where TjMax will have a preset value (eg: 0).

You need to open up the kext and edit the 'info.plist' file with a text editor (or a plist editor) to set the TjMax parameter to the value that suits your CPU (get that info from Intel web site by typing "Intel Txxx" on google, where Txxx is your exact CPU model). Save the file, re-run myFix (full) and reboot. Your CPU temp will then be properly reported.

On your D630, I'd expect your 2.0GHz CPU to be a T7250 or T7300 and TjMax for those processors is 100°C:

http://ark.intel.com...GHz-800-MHz-FSB

There is a thermal pad on top of the GMA chip or nVidia GPU, but there is always thermal paste right on top of the CPU. That will harden and more or less disappear with time.

EDP does not know what CPU any given laptop may have, so it does not "update" the IntelCPUMonitor.kext in /Extra/Extensions. On the contrary, it replaces the kext with a sort of default version where TjMax will have a preset value (eg: 0).

You need to open up the kext and edit the 'info.plist' file with a text editor (or a plist editor) to set the TjMax parameter to the value that suits your CPU (get that info from Intel web site by typing "Intel Txxx" on google, where Txxx is your exact CPU model). Save the file, re-run myFix (full) and reboot. Your CPU temp will then be properly reported.

On your D630, I'd expect your 2.0GHz CPU to be a T7250 or T7300 and TjMax for those processors is 100°C:

There is a thermal pad on top of the GMA chip or nVidia GPU, but there is always thermal paste right on top of the CPU. That will harden and more or less disappear with time.

I have it apart right now the thermal paste was hard, and who ever did it applied way to much. I will be it back together latter today and edit the plist for the CPU. After I get a little rest........I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again Hervé!