D630 Snow Leopard Installation Freezes

yuri624

Hello there,

I've been trying to install Snow Leopard on my D630 (4 GB RAM, nVidia) and it kind of doesn't like me, to say the least.

So here's what I did:

1. I used TransMac on Windows (since I don't have any Hackintosh or Mac) and formatted my USB Stick with the SL image.

2. Burned iboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) on a CD.

3. Followed the guide here to setup the correct BIOS settings on my D630.

4. Started my Laptop, chose the Mac Installation Disk and run it with -v

5. Now there's different stuff happening

5.1 Most commonly.. it goes through all the stuff and I find myself in the installer. I can choose the HDD to install OSX on. Then it starts and I see the big X with the progress bar. It usually freezes pretty soon (sometimes after 5 sec, sometimes after 30+ sec). The progress bar then isn't animated anymore and I can't do anything but turn it off.

5.2 It already freezes when formatting/partitioning the HDD

5.3 It stops at "Waiting for DSMOS..."

5.4 It stops at "[PCI configuration being]

5.5 It stops at "BSD root: disk2s3, major 14, minor 10

5.6 It stops at "FakeSMCDevice: 17 keys added; AppleIntelPIIXPATA: Secondary PCI IDE channel is disabled"

5.7 Probably more, different stuff when trying it even more often (already did 20+ times)

I don't really know what to do.

I get the same errors when trying to setup SL via VirtualBox on Windows by the way. Gives different errors at different times just after restarting several times.

I already used 2 different USB sticks and 1 external HDD for this, to make sure its not the stick itself.

Also, if windows is installed it works flawlessly fine, so i guess that makes sure the hardware is fine.

Hello there,

I've been trying to install Snow Leopard on my D630 (4 GB RAM, nVidia) and it kind of doesn't like me, to say the least.

So here's what I did:

1. I used TransMac on Windows (since I don't have any Hackintosh or Mac) and formatted my USB Stick with the SL image.

2. Burned iboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) on a CD.

3. Followed the guide here to setup the correct BIOS settings on my D630.

4. Started my Laptop, chose the Mac Installation Disk and run it with -v

5. Now there's different stuff happening

5.1 Most commonly.. it goes through all the stuff and I find myself in the installer. I can choose the HDD to install OSX on. Then it starts and I see the big X with the progress bar. It usually freezes pretty soon (sometimes after 5 sec, sometimes after 30+ sec). The progress bar then isn't animated anymore and I can't do anything but turn it off.

5.2 It already freezes when formatting/partitioning the HDD

5.3 It stops at "Waiting for DSMOS..."

5.4 It stops at "[PCI configuration being]

5.5 It stops at "BSD root: disk2s3, major 14, minor 10

5.6 It stops at "FakeSMCDevice: 17 keys added; AppleIntelPIIXPATA: Secondary PCI IDE channel is disabled"

5.7 Probably more, different stuff when trying it even more often (already did 20+ times)

I don't really know what to do.

I get the same errors when trying to setup SL via VirtualBox on Windows by the way. Gives different errors at different times just after restarting several times.

I already used 2 different USB sticks and 1 external HDD for this, to make sure its not the stick itself.

Also, if windows is installed it works flawlessly fine, so i guess that makes sure the hardware is fine.

I also had this on my D630. Go into your BIOS and disable the wireless adapter. Let me know if it solved the problem.

GameShine

• Administrators

We don't support iboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) here, that has its own site if you want to go that way.

Your installation will clearly not go through without the boot pack or, at least, the appropriate DSDT table...

I can only recommend that you use myHack/EDP method as it is 100% guaranteed to work on your laptop model, provided you have the compatible hardware (eg: no Intel Wifi...).

Understood that you don't have access to a Mac/Hack, so do a temp legacy-kernel based SL installation with Nawcom's BootCD. You can then create the myHack installer and redo a full Vanilla installation.

I don't know. Tho, after digging in some random threads over here I got it to work using ModCD. I'm going to try and fix me a ML USB installer (which is why I had to get SL running in the first place).

Thanks anyways, I might reply again in here and change the topic depending on how it goes with ML.

I'm in a similar position and this has been a useful read so thank you! 

I'm trying, so far unsuccessfully, to install via the iboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) + SL method on my D630 (2GB RAM, NvidiaQuadra 135m). As my bootloader is spinning up I get an EBIOS error although the boot does complete to the bootloader section. Then when I insert SL disc it fails to recognise the disc and generates a ton (well about 10nr) EBIOS errors and eventually it tries to load windows up by default. 

I don't have access to a Mac so I'm sort of stuck. I'll try and disable the wireless in the BIOS and give it another go tonight although i was pretty sure it was Broadcom. Video is Quadra 135m which I think is supported.

Any other ideas? I'm a newb so things like kext strings are confusng to me! Any and all help/comments appreciated!

• Administrators

If you don't have access to a Mac of a Hackintosh but have a retail SL DVD, try Nawcom's BootCD; just do a search for that on the forum, you'll find the instructions. They're on the main OSXL web site too.

• Like 1