ELAN and FocalTech (Smart Touchpad) driver Issues

EMlyDinEsH

Apparently, I spoke a bit too soon.  I turned this laptop over to my wife and she deemed immediately the touchpad unusable.  She finds it way too sensitive, selecting things randomly upon passing, putting Apps in full screen mode, etc.  I have probably become too delicate with it as the months have gone by.  I was concerned about that so turned it over to a new user for a fresh perspective.  Unfortunately, it failed in a matter of seconds :(

I will look into deactivating "features" to see if this helps.  I guess all learn them by trial and error.

Not ideal, I know, since you are wanting to develop a full featured kext but for this Acer 5755 series notebook it's just all going crazy !

Thanks again.

OK !

Installed v2.8.0 now and the click and drag is much, much better :)  Before, there was a minimum 2-3 second wait necessary after the left click before a window could be dragged.  Now it's a second or perhaps a tad less. Click and drag can still NOT be instantaneous though.  Also, text select seems to work more reliably and the touchpad continues working after wake more often as well.  I think that it's only failed once so far in about 6 sleep/wake cycles.

The touchpad does continue to do a few odd things .  For instance, it randomly causes the current window to go full screen just from a single finger swipe during typing, for instance. It also seems to select things w/o a button click at times as well. 

Perhaps I do not understand all of the possible gestures.  Are there single finger swipes that are meant to cause this behavior ?  Maybe based on the direction or from crossing into a particular segment of the screen ?  I have looked at the Info.plist file contained within the ApplePS2ElanTouchpad.kext and see MANY configurable options but there is no explanation of their functions that I can see and the option names do not help me in most cases.

Is there documentation for these parameters anywhere ?

Which parameter would help numb single finger swiping sensitivity w/o lengthening the lag between grab and drag ?

All that I really want is basic mouse behavior + 2 finger scrolling and touchpad waking from sleep.  If these could be made to work 100% by simply dropping all of the other fancy features, I'd be very happy :)

What are the basic parameters that I should I leave on to accomplish this ?  What can be switched off ?

Perhaps, I should dumb this device down and then gradually add back functionality to see what's messing things up.

However, this is quite a nice driver even as it exists right now.

You said some odd things like going full screen with single finger swipe and its because of Edge swiping for the three sides(Left, right and Top) so read about Edge swiping in mail thread to understand about this and let me if you have any issues with this.

I suggest you to first go through the main thread about every feature and plist editing section for good understanding of the features then try it out. If you still have issues after this then let me know and I'll try to fix those issue you got.

Apparently, I spoke a bit too soon.  I turned this laptop over to my wife and she deemed immediately the touchpad unusable.  She finds it way too sensitive, selecting things randomly upon passing, putting Apps in full screen mode, etc.  I have probably become too delicate with it as the months have gone by.  I was concerned about that so turned it over to a new user for a fresh perspective.  Unfortunately, it failed in a matter of seconds :(

I will look into deactivating "features" to see if this helps.  I guess all learn them by trial and error.

Not ideal, I know, since you are wanting to develop a full featured kext but for this Acer 5755 series notebook it's just all going crazy !

Thanks again.

I've developed many features around the touchpad and most of them are enabled which is people aren't used to, so try to go through my main thread for every feature and plist editing section for enabling/disabling the features not needed for you. I can promise that my current version is more stable and very usable, but you need to understand the features usage. From next version, I'll try to disable most of the features which people aren't used to(they can enable it back from plist). If you still have issues after checking out plist section and features then let me know about your issue and I'll help you out.

Had a 10.8.4 Acer V5-171 notebook working perfectly with V2.8.3 of the driver.  Updated to 10.8.5 yesterday and reapplied all kexts.  Machine wouldn't boot.  AppleACPIPlatform seemed the issue.  Resolved this and booted from a USB and ApplePS2Controller gave issue at boot - waiting to initialise device.  It eventually gives up and boots to desktop.  Keyboard doesn't work then.

The thread I followed to successfully install is http://www.tonycrapx86.com/laptop-compatibility/80431-acer-aspire-v5-171-notebook-9.html#post662146 - the original bundle used v2.6 of your driver.  I upgraded the driver successfully and the touchpad works well.

Thanks for the excellent work!

sem

Follow up. 10.8.4 using v2.8.3 now hanging at boot "waiting for keyboard input stream". Loads to desktop eventually but keyboard doesn't work.

sem

* Edit (16/09/13)

Got 10.8.5 installed perfectly by removing GenericUSBHCXI.kext before installing and booting off the install USB and repairing disk permissions. Touchpad works but 2.8.3 gives repeated:

ApplePS2Controller: Timed out on keyboard input stream
ApplePS2Keyboard: probe failed, retry ...

It retries 5 times then moves on. So keyboard doesn't work.

* Edit 2 (16/09/13)

Clearing the kernel cache seems to have fixed the issue. I used Onyx to do this. Sorry for the lengthy post.

* Edit 3 (16/09/13)

Spoke too soon. Still not booting with ps2 enabled keyboard. Don't know whether it is a problem with 10.8.5 though. Seem to be a lot of users with issues post upgrade.

Has 2.83 been tested on 10.8.5 yet?

EMlDynEsH 

In 2.8.3 i have an issue when the laptop is on a few hours touchpad , the pointing stops for a second ,  is like when you are watching a video and you press play/pause/play

Its not related to the touchpad driver and its common that pointer goes away when video is playing.

Follow up. 10.8.4 using v2.8.3 now hanging at boot "waiting for keyboard input stream". Loads to desktop eventually but keyboard doesn't work.

sem

* Edit (16/09/13)

Got 10.8.5 installed perfectly by removing GenericUSBHCXI.kext before installing and booting off the install USB and repairing disk permissions. Touchpad works but 2.8.3 gives repeated:

ApplePS2Controller: Timed out on keyboard input stream

ApplePS2Keyboard: probe failed, retry ...

It retries 5 times then moves on. So keyboard doesn't work.

* Edit 2 (16/09/13)

Clearing the kernel cache seems to have fixed the issue. I used Onyx to do this. Sorry for the lengthy post.

* Edit 3 (16/09/13)

Spoke too soon. Still not booting with ps2 enabled keyboard. Don't know whether it is a problem with 10.8.5 though. Seem to be a lot of users with issues post upgrade.

Has 2.83 been tested on 10.8.5 yet?

Well, i have been using 10.8.5 without problems. I doubt about your kernel caches to be the reason for your problem, so let me check whether you have any kernel related issues (or) not, so send me your kernel/system log from Console app.

Well, i have been using 10.8.5 without problems. I doubt about your kernel caches to be the reason for your problem, so let me check whether you have any kernel related issues (or) not, so send me your kernel/system log from Console app.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I'm going to do a "clean" update from virgin 10.8.1 direct to 10.8.5. I'll reapply your driver and send the log if it still gives trouble and I've eliminated the extra "essential" kexts for the particular laptop. If that's ok with you?

Thanks.

Its not related to the touchpad driver and its common that pointer goes away when video is playing.

I am not talking about a video, the pointer stops for a half second o second, and then is working again. And rebooting resolve until the pointer make the same issue. Stoping randomly.

Hi - 10.8.5 is proving a headache - looks like a constant KP related to CPUPowerManagement and or ACPI.  I went back to a clean 10.8.4 build and everything is smooth - and the touchpad driver performs brilliantly :)  Thank you!