ELAN and FocalTech (Smart Touchpad) driver Issues

EMlyDinEsH

Hiya all, hope someone can help me out with a small issue I'm having. 

I've installed 4.7 beta 5, along with the AsusNBFnkeys 2.6, and although most things work nicely, any shortcuts involving the letter 'P' now don't work...

Oddly enough it seems to only occur if I enable the 'swap windows and alt'/swap them via system preferences. Possibly something lower level hijacks the combo if it involves the windows key?

I have installed both drivers to /L/E, and am booting via Clover EFI, latest version. Running macOS 10.13.1.

I have made a number of plist edits for various options, however the issue occurs with the default options (and swapping win/alt via the plist or system prefs).

Just wondering if anyone else has this?

Archive.zip

Anyone else having kernel panics with this driver? I'm running the latest beta (4.7b5) on High Sierra. I'm using Clover to boot the system. I am getting random kernel panics about once in every 10 reboots. I can reproduce the problem by manually kextloading/kextunloading the ApplePS2SmartTouchPad.kext I have installed in /S/L/E.

I'm also experiencing the cursor freeze bug when using 2-finger scrolling.

EMlyDinEsH: Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help resolve the cursor freeze bug. It is an unfortunate problem in an otherwise excellent piece of software.

Anyone else having kernel panics with this driver? I'm running the latest beta (4.7b5) on High Sierra. I'm using Clover to boot the system. I am getting random kernel panics about once in every 10 reboots. I can reproduce the problem by manually kextloading/kextunloading the ApplePS2SmartTouchPad.kext I have installed in /S/L/E.

I'm also experiencing the cursor freeze bug when using 2-finger scrolling.

EMlyDinEsH: Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help resolve the cursor freeze bug. It is an unfortunate problem in an otherwise excellent piece of software.

Do NOT install kexts to /S/L/E in macOS versions 10.10+. You have two options:

- Install to /L/E and then rebuild cache with 

sudo kernelcache -i /

And then restart. Or

- Install this kext to EFI/Clover/kexts/other and restart. Be aware that some kexts don't work properly when injected by Clover and must be installed to /L/E. It's just a matter of trying and seeing which works best for you. I'm currently using this kext installed in Clover without any problems.

You should choose ONLY one option. Do NOT install this kext twice. I recommend installing to /L/E as it is more guaranteed to work. You should be able to fix your problem by running the following in a Terminal window:

sudo cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2SmartTouchPad.kext /Library/Extensions/
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2SmartTouchPad.kext
sudo kextcache -i /

Aloha all !

I am having a really hard time with the 4.6.8 version of this kext. A single left click results in 10+ clicks and and some clicks toward the center of the trackpad change the desktop and oftentimes, just the slightest contact with the trackpad causes a click, sometimes not !

I find myself needing to use a mouse to get anything done. I have also tried the last production version with the same results.

This behavior was sort of present on my Acer 5755 but manageable but on this Asus Q500a, it's a real killer.

Is anybody else using this kext on an Asus Q500a and if so, could I see your Info.plist file ?

TIA,

bisk

OK, so I figured out what kept making me change desktops ... setting VirtualMiddleButton to NO fixed that.

But what controls the tap repeat sensitivity ? Mine is out of control.

Where can the help on this extensive Info.plist be found ?

S

Well, thank you. Not sure how that could have been any more obvious. I was sure lazy here.

OK, I have most everything working the way I like it except for the keyboard backlight.

The F3 & F4 keys do nothing. All of the other F keys for audio, video illumination, sleep, etc. all work fine.

I have turned on the K/B backlight options in the config file, added the 16 level brightness patch in the DSDT, and do load AsusNBFnKeys.kext.

I am seeing the AsusNBFnKeys error: "Cannot find method ALSS" while booting.

Found the ALS patch but have no ALS device in my DSDT.

I have an Asus Q500a.

Anybody out there have  K/B backlight control with this laptop ?

I'm running 10.12.6.

Thx !

Hey, hey, thx again but this time looking through this thread does not really help.

I've also consulted a much older thread specific to AsusNBFnKeys.kext. No help there either :(

Seems as though I require some custom mods to my DSDT that I am missing and have  no basis to add.

I have already activated the K/B backlight options in the ApplePS2SmartTouchPad.kext, have the AsusNBFnKeys.kext installed AND have tried the basic DSDT mods for both 4 and 16 level K/B backlight brightness adjustments as advised.

Thanks to AsusNBFnKeys.kext, I have all F keys working as they should with the exception of F3 and F4, K/B backlight+/-.

My K/B backlight works initially when I boot up but then goes away with sleep and does not return after wake.

The F3 and F4 keys never do anything and often, I need to boot into Windows before booting back into Mac just to get the backlight to initially illuminate again.

Anybody with Asus K/B backlight success out there ?

TIA