ELAN and FocalTech (Smart Touchpad) driver Issues

EMlyDinEsH

Aloha Zach, appreciate the response :)

I have an Asus Q500a which is an Ivy bridge laptop. Looks like yours is a Haswell ... still worth a shot.

I am very curious what you will come up with.  My unmodified DSDT is attached so as not to influence your research.

Could you also post your DSDT, with the keyboard backlight mods, if you had done any ?

Did you do any DSDT mods to get your F3/F4 keys working ?  Did you need the AsusNBFnKeys.kext ?

Interestingly, the keyboard backlight patch file provided online by the talented author of this kext (EMlyDinEsh) is named for a Haswell/Ivy system but the notes within the mod file seem to indicate that it is good only for a Haswell system.

I had incorporated both the 4 and 16 brightness level mods with no effect on my dead F3 and F4 keys :(

Server keeps uploading my whole file and then I get : "The server returned an error during upload" for a 57K zipped .dsl file.

I will try again later ...

Hi there!

Sorry for the delay, been a bit busy.

You can find my DSDT/SSDT edits here: https://github.com/zacharyrs/GL551JW-Hackintosh

I did use the Asus kext, along with the patches, which you can see in that repo.

Preferably, could you upload both your original DSDT, and also your modified version. I'd recommend just sticking it on Google Drive.

Unfortunately I'm going away for a few days, with no computer, so I'll have to get back to you when I get back home.

No problem. Thanks again.

I downloaded your mods. Looking at your SSDTs, I can see you made the same K/B backlight mod that I have. Your  FKey mods look to be for the LCD display backlight +/- rather than the K/B backlight +/- tho'. Do you do add'l mods in your main DSDT? I didn't see a DSDT in your files, only SSDTs. Perhaps you prefer to leave your DSDT untouched. If you modified your main DSDT, I would certainly like to see that as well.

I don't usually touch SSDTs, I just modify the main DSDT.

This site looks like it's still down for uploading so ...

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16vjYtoqbCLBRZh3eMNXAokPF8HPpByIb?usp=sharing

Has my original and modified DSDTs. Just search for "FIX:" and you will find all of my mods in DSDT.4.

Lmk if anything jumps out at you.

Thanks again :)

Hi, I've just installed your lasted version(4.7 beta5) and successfully loaded touchpad prefpane.

But after installing, my touchpad isn't working at all...

Can't even touch anything or move around...

Is there any solutions I can solve this problem?

ps. sorry for bad english...

Hi again, been a bit busy.

I opted to use hotpatching over static patches, as it makes my mods more future proof, and also easier to customise for other users. I'd suggest reading into it, and using it too!

All patches related to the keyboard are under the PS2K file, as linked. I also utilise clover patches to rename and replace methods, which you'll understand if you read about hotpatching.

I can't take a deep look at your dsl file right now, but it doesn't even want to compile for me. Honestly, I'd suggest starting over and doing everything manually with hotpatching.

Oh don't worry.  Thanks for the effort.

As I said, our K/B backlight patch is identical and you are not even patching the F3/F4 keys so this tells me that your Fn Keys are performing properly w.o. you even needing to fix them so how can you be expected to help me fix a problem that you have not experienced ?

I know all about patching through Clover and often use it when needed for "on the fly" kext patching, etc. That's how I get my HDMI working for this rig amongst other things. I do, however, prefer to just simply keep as many fixes as possible within a single place, namely my main DSDT file. If you know of a Clover patch that can help get my K/B backlight popping then I'm definitely onboard with that.

If it matters, send me the compiler errors that you are seeing and I'll help u. Or I can supply the compiled version for you to decompile. I just figured that you would prefer to see the comments to more easily follow the changes that I made to the original.  There were quite a few.

If you use Clover to patch your DSDT rather than edit and recompile it yourself then I would need to see your clover.plist as well.

But if all that you are using are the prepackaged patches like DTGP, OSI, RTC. etc then don't bother, I do all of those directly.

Can't compile ? Hmmm ... definitely compiles for me. Maybe it's a versioning problem ?

No matter. It sounds like I am just wasting your time here.

Thanks again !

Yeah, they worked without much hassle. To double check, you do have the AsusNBFnKeys kext right? Think it's version 2.6?

I'd honestly say Clover hotpatching is nicer, because it leaves everything modular, but I guess it's more up to you in the end.

I don't think I have any specific patches for keyboard backlight in Clover, but my config.plist is in that repo (config.plist.src).

The compiler just doesn't seem to think the DSL is a valid tabled source, so it doesn't even bother trying to compile.

Seems to work via command line though, but there are a lot of remarks and warnings.

Having just looked back, I realise you do have AsusNBFnKeys, so that's not the issue. The ALSS method I suspect is for the ALS sensor, which doesn't matter either. Perhaps your methods are on a different ACPI path, though I'm not sure. I'd take a look, but honestly I haven't touched ACPI since getting my laptop working. Again, I'd push for hotpatching as it makes everything more understandable.

Actually, looking around a bit more, perhaps this post is of use: https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1948-elan-focaltech-and-synaptics-smart-touchpad-driver-mac-os-x/?p=58148. It appears your SLKB method is quite different to others, and I can't see any mention of KBLV throughout your DSDT...