Fn HotKey and ALS sensor driver for Asus Notebooks

EMlyDinEsH

Just tested ver. 1.4 and it works on my X73SV (with enabled HasMediaButtons).

You should consider adding appropriate descriptions for DSDT modifications in the first post. It took me a while to figure, that adding "Method SKBL" is for Keyborad Backlight Control and changing "Method _Q0E" and "Method _Q0F" is for Screen Brightness Control.

Also I had to change Methods _Q0E and _Q0F by removing "Return (One)" values for it to work plus remove second ")" after (0x..) values, like this: 

Method (_Q0E, 0, NotSerialized)
        {
            If (ATKP)
            {
                ^^^^ATKD.IANE (0x20)
            }
        }

Method (_Q0F, 0, NotSerialized)
        {
            If (ATKP)
            {
                ^^^^ATKD.IANE (0x11)
            }
        }

With "Return (One)" values my DSDT compiled with errors (compiler said those methods should not return values). I've also checked other similar methods in my DSDT and they all had the same structure as shown above.

The reason I ask in my previous post is that my DSDT doesn't have  Device ATKD.  It's probably called something else. I saw Q methods there but not Q0E and F.

Well, that's because ATKD is used in ASUS notebooks and you have a DELL, so there is a very high chance that no kexts/fixes/solutions that are designed for ASUS will work on it.

EDIT:

Your DSDT has Device (PNLF), which enables brightness control in display settings. If you have a slider for brightness there, then it's working. If it's working, check keyboard hotkeys in keyboard's settings for brightness control hotkeys (you can edit those).

Yes, the slider on it is working.  I was hoping I can quickly have the hotkeys to do the same.  Here is why.  After sleep brightness level goes to max,and It's annoying.  My other laptop the fn keys worked after PNLF addition and by fn key I quickly fix it.  On this dell i have to go to preference.  So trying to see some of these kext work.  I heard it may also work on some dells and HP's.  Do you have the brighness max issue after sleep?

I will take a look at keyboard settings to see if I can do something with the mapping.  I didn't know about it.

Hi EMlyDinEsH, I have an ASUS G74SX with backlight keyboard and Media buttons so after search for the solution I found this forum (I thanks good for that) I make all the DSDT edits posted here and installed your kext I tried 1.4 and Zeenbook but none of them work :(. Did I screw something? I select Yes on booth HasKeyboardBLight and HasMediaButtons.

The Screen BackLight control doest work either. I get this on log

Fn+F6=

25/05/13 01:52:51.000 kernel[0]: FN KEYS SENT: 2 2

25/05/13 01:52:51.582 BezelServices 236.3[41]: ASSERTION FAILED: _iicBrightnessEngine && ourEvent.displayID != 0 -[bezelServicesTask handleCGSEvent:] line: 1557

Fn+F5

25/05/13 01:52:54.000 kernel[0]: FN KEYS SENT: 3 3
25/05/13 01:52:54.921 BezelServices 236.3[41]: ASSERTION FAILED: _iicBrightnessEngine && ourEvent.displayID != 0 -[bezelServicesTask handleCGSEvent:] line: 1570

This machine has and NVDIA GTX560M and no HD3000 at all, this still could work or is only for integrated GPU´s?

and I really really, like to had light come out my keyboard :) Could you please help me???

I got this with your kext

Fn+F1=Sleep

Fn+F2=Wi-Fi ON/OFF

Fn+F3/Fn+F4= Not Working

Fn+F5/Fn+F6= Not Working either

Fn+F7=Freeze I had to reboot 

Fn+F8=Freeze I had to reboot

Fn+F9=Not working

Fn+F10= Mute with Animation

Fn+F11=Volume Down with Animation

Fn+F12=Volume Up with Animation

Fn+ Up= Stop

Fn+ Down=Play/Pause

Fn+Right= Forward 

Fn+Left= Rewind

I post my DSDT with all my edits (some name edits, basic patch, Graphics patch for HDMI, and Battery to use vanilla ACPI kexts), I also attach my Vanilla DSDt for compare.

As soon I get paid I will donate to support all the hard work!!!

Thanks!!!!

ASUSG74 MOD-Vanilla.zip

Hi EMlyDinEsH, I have an ASUS G74SX with backlight keyboard and Media buttons so after search for the solution I found this forum (I thanks good for that) I make all the DSDT edits posted here and installed your kext I tried 1.4 and Zeenbook but none of them work :(. Did I screw something? I select Yes on booth HasKeyboardBLight and HasMediaButtons.

The Screen BackLight control doest work either. I get this on log

Fn+F6=

25/05/13 01:52:51.000 kernel[0]: FN KEYS SENT: 2 2

25/05/13 01:52:51.582 BezelServices 236.3[41]: ASSERTION FAILED: _iicBrightnessEngine && ourEvent.displayID != 0 -[bezelServicesTask handleCGSEvent:] line: 1557

Fn+F5

25/05/13 01:52:54.000 kernel[0]: FN KEYS SENT: 3 3
25/05/13 01:52:54.921 BezelServices 236.3[41]: ASSERTION FAILED: _iicBrightnessEngine && ourEvent.displayID != 0 -[bezelServicesTask handleCGSEvent:] line: 1570

This machine has and NVDIA GTX560M and no HD3000 at all, this still could work or is only for integrated GPU´s?

and I really really, like to had light come out my keyboard :) Could you please help me???

I got this with your kext

Fn+F1=Sleep

Fn+F2=Wi-Fi ON/OFF

Fn+F3/Fn+F4= Not Working

Fn+F5/Fn+F6= Not Working either

Fn+F7=Freeze I had to reboot 

Fn+F8=Freeze I had to reboot

Fn+F9=Not working

Fn+F10= Mute with Animation

Fn+F11=Volume Down with Animation

Fn+F12=Volume Up with Animation

Fn+ Up= Stop

Fn+ Down=Play/Pause

Fn+Right= Forward 

Fn+Left= Rewind

I post my DSDT with all my edits (some name edits, basic patch, Graphics patch for HDMI, and Battery to use vanilla ACPI kexts), I also attach my Vanilla DSDt for compare.

As soon I get paid I will donate to support all the hard work!!!

Thanks!!!!

My kext is focused on Intel GPU only so far, but I'll take a look at nvidia and see if its possible then let you know. What does Fn + F7 and F8 does in Windows for you? Is your sleep working?

Thanks for trying to support me with a donation.

My kext is focused on Intel GPU only so far, but I'll take a look at nvidia and see if its possible then let you know. What does Fn + F7 and F8 does in Windows for you? Is your sleep working?

Thanks for trying to support me with a donation.

Thanks for take a look on Nvidia, I´ll wait for your answer.

Are all the DSDT edit for enable my backlight keyboard ok? If so why it doesn´t work? Please help :D

The Fn+F7 in windows disable the internal screen, and the Fn+F8 enable the external screen (it keeps the internal screen working) for a presentation.

Thanks man!!

P.D. I send you a PM for reporting the donation I did, but I think your inbox are full.