Fn HotKey and ALS sensor driver for Asus Notebooks

EMlyDinEsH

Ok, but my original DSDT have method SLKB and method GLKB.

However the patches are for replacing methods SKBL and GKBL.

So what do I have to do? If I run the patch as it is it will just preserve the body for SLKB/GLKB and also add SKBL/GKBL. I tried also with all 4 methods and no result, then I tried with all four methods but I've replaced the original SLKB/GLKB body with the code from SKBL/GKBL and still nothing.

So I've tried all combinations for DSDT, but no results regarding my backlight when pressing Fn+F3 and Fn+F4. Maybe not the right keys or scan codes being generated?

Anyway...

By accident I've discovered that Shift+F5 activated voice over mode

Then I discovered that Shift+CapsLock or just Shift can be a replacement for Fn, and after pressing 
Shift+F2 = dimmer (it tells me in voice mode and display the text on display, but no change in screen brightness)
Shift + F3 = brighter (it tells me in voice mode and display the text on display, but no change in screen brightness)
Shift+caps lock + F5 = dimmer (it tells me in voice mode and display the text on display, but no change in screen brightness)
Shift + caps lock +F6 = brighter (it tells me in voice mode and display the text on display, but no change in screen brightness)
Shift + caps lock +F8 = mirror display 

My real Fn key is doing nothing. Shift+Caps Lock +F3/F4 also not working despite Shift+Caps+F5/F6 reacting in Voice Mode.

Above are things that MacOS are telling me they should happen, but there is no physical display brightness dimming when doing so.

My driver uses the method SKBL and GKBL which is inserted by my patches and will not touch default methods. Your DSDT had the different values for setting the keyboard backlight which is Ivy Bridge value instead of the value found in new HasWell DSDT. So, I've modified that value in the attached DSDT. Try this and let me know. If you still have problem then PM me for details on debug.

DSDT_KB_Patched.aml.zip

Hello there! I've just installed the updated kexts AsusFNKeys and ApplePS2ElanTouchpad and now everything is perfect.. except for the fact that now i have to press fn every time i want to change Volume, Brightness and KeyboardBackLight and I didn't have to do it with the previous release of each kext.. (although it worked as well if i pressed Fn). The only time I had to press FN key before was for KeyboardBackLight to work...

I tried to install the previous AsusFNKey but didn't work.. :( hope somebody can help me out. Thank you!!

Asus Q501LA

Hello there! I've just installed the updated kexts AsusFNKeys and ApplePS2ElanTouchpad and now everything is perfect.. except for the fact that now i have to press fn every time i want to change Volume, Brightness and KeyboardBackLight and I didn't have to do it with the previous release of each kext.. (although it worked as well if i pressed Fn). The only time I had to press FN key before was for KeyboardBackLight to work...

I tried to install the previous AsusFNKey but didn't work.. :( hope somebody can help me out. Thank you!!

Asus Q501LA

That feature of Function keys working as Fn keys is from ELAN touchpad which is Fn keys mode. You need to set the Fn keys mode to 1 for that which is explained in my Keyboard features thread. Please go through that thread and edit your plist to get this.

Hi,

Excuse my silly question, but what is the added value of this kext as there is also inside your Elan Touchpad kext configuration for Asus Keyboard (and others)? I'm a bit lost here, and doesn't find the response anywhere.

Thanks.

Updated OSX to 10.9.3, along w/ your latest release, and everything is working on my machine *except* FN+F9 no longer disables the trackpad :(  Using your latest Elan text as well, Asus N56VM.   

All other function keys appear to be working, except for the screen brightness.

Any help is appreciated.

Hi,

Excuse my silly question, but what is the added value of this kext as there is also inside your Elan Touchpad kext configuration for Asus Keyboard (and others)? I'm a bit lost here, and doesn't find the response anywhere.

Thanks.

Sorry, i did not get you. What's your problem exactly?

Updated OSX to 10.9.3, along w/ your latest release, and everything is working on my machine *except* FN+F9 no longer disables the trackpad :(  Using your latest Elan text as well, Asus N56VM.   

All other function keys appear to be working, except for the screen brightness.

Any help is appreciated.

You are using Fn keys 2.3.5 and ELAN v3.8? Do you have any changes in plist for both? What happens if you try Fn + F9 and  Fn + F5/F6? Send me an ioreg file and System log so i can take a look.

Sorry, i did not get you. What's your problem exactly?

Hi, sorry for my english !!!

My question is that your Elan Touchpad driver hosts keyboard driver. This "internal" Elan Touchpad keyboard driver can be configured for an Asus keymap. So, what is the added value of the Fn Hotkey Driver for Asus Netbooks if we compare it with Elan kext configured for Asus keymap ?

Hi, sorry for my english !!!

My question is that your Elan Touchpad driver hosts keyboard driver. This "internal" Elan Touchpad keyboard driver can be configured for an Asus keymap. So, what is the added value of the Fn Hotkey Driver for Asus Netbooks if we compare it with Elan kext configured for Asus keymap ?

That Asus Fn keys keyboard is for my AsusNBFnkeys driver because  fn keys can only be generated through keyboard API. You don't need to touch/config that keyboard.

Hi, just to inform you that your kext works well on the last Zenbook UX32LN (Haswell Core I5-4200U, Nvidia Optimus disable in DSDT). However, one question (someone asked also about some times ago) : there is no possibility to enable bezel when you use Fn Keyboard Backlight key ? The other ones work well (screen and sound) but it is perhaps because we use "native" Apple kext for that ?