Display corruption after wake from sleep

trowakage

When I installed Lion, EDP was revision 43. I updated EDP after installing 10.7.5 (From 10.7.0) to revision 65, and thats when this started happening.

I don't know if the 10.7.5 update did it or the new EDP revision did it. (Did GMA 950 kexts change from 10.7 to 10.7.5?)

I can't screenshot it to show you what I mean. Screenshots come out looking normal after a reboot. (In other words, a screenshot does not capture the garbled display, but shows true resolution, making me think its a display/DSDT problem and not a driver issue.)

I should also add that this issue happens on user "joe82" modified DSDT that is posted here as well.

• Administrators

Just made some tests on my D620 GMA with Mario standing by. Laptop was running fresh installation of SL 10.6.8 with the latest EDP (v4 r65) & downloaded boot pack DSDT.

Tried mirroring on 2 different external displays:
- a 19" standard screen LCD 1280x1024
- a 20" widescreen LCD 1680x1050

Here are my findings:

D620 with following BIOS settings:
. System password: set (mandatory or BSOD on wake)
. Password bypass: reboot & resume Bypass
. USB wake support: disabled or enabled (both tried)

Test 1: D620 connected to 20" 1680x1050 screen
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1) screen extension and/or mirroring -> all Ok
2) laptop to sleep with either Fn-Esc or Close lid or Apple menu -> Suspend -> all Ok (both screens shut off)
3) laptop to wake with either On/Off button or Open lid -> LCD back on, external screen stays off. VGA cable has to be unplugged & replugged to get external video back (sometimes several times)

Test 2: D620 connected to 19" 1280x1024 screen
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1) screen extension and/or mirroring -> all Ok
2) laptop to sleep with either Fn-Esc or Close lid or Apple menu -> Suspend -> all Ok (both screens shut off)
3) laptop to wake with either On/Off button or Open lid -> LCD back on, external screen stays off. VGA cable has to be unplugged & replugged to get external video back and freq set to highest (75Hz vs. 60Hz - screen stays dark @60Hz)

I also noticed that external screen and built-in LCD can be set to resolution that differ between them. For instance, when screen resolution is 1280x800 on the built-in LCD and 1280x1024 on the external screen, the latter may not work at 60Hz but it will at 75Hz! So, there's definitely something about frequency & resolution here...

Key point: no garbled screen, whether built-in LCD or external screen at no point. There does not seem to be a DSDT issue as far as I'm concerned here.

The good points are that, on the D620 GMA:
a. screen mirroring now works
b. USB wake is now supported

I'll try and retest with Lion 10.7.5 tomorrow.

Definitely happening here on internal screen (ONLY!), 10.7.5, EDP revision 65, when only the display sleeps. (Hot corner) Display only supports 800x600 @ 60hz, and 1024x768 @ 60/50hz.

Fn+F1 sleep's the computer like it should. I have no hotkey to sleep the display. Pressing Fn+F8 (CRT/LCD for changing display output to VGA port) does nothing until I plug in an external monitor, and even then, all it does is just disable the external display until I replug the display in.

If I close the lid, the computer sleeps. Because I have a BIOS password set, when I open the lid, the display wakes up properly and isn't pixelated. (Thats the best way I can explain it, is extremely pixelated.)

Pressing the power button brings up the "Shutdown/Sleep/Restart/Cancel" dialogue box like it should.

It's quite annoying because I cannot use any sleep prevention methods for closing the lid (Insomnia, Caffeine, etc...) for transferring the laptop quickly around the house.

(All my testing is done without an external display attached.)

• Administrators

My mistake, I only registered "sleep", not "display sleep". So, did some tests again (without external display).

1) waiting for the configured display sleep delay (setting it to 1min)

2) using active corners

On both cases, display goes to sleep as expected and wakes without issue as soon as I do something like move the mouse or press a key. Again, that was with SL 10.6.8 + EDP v4 r65.

Off to install Lion now and retest.

Ran a few tests last night. I freed up some hard drive space and installed Snow Leopard to test on that as well. All tests were done with the "display sleep" hot corner, and retested with the "1 minute display sleep" setting.

OS X 10.7.5

Test 1:

Display sleep with external monitor hooked up with default EDP revision 65 DSDT...

-Internal display sleeps fine

-External monitor is not detected

-Internal display wakes up "pixelated"

-Nothing happens on external monitor

(I've never gotten VGA out to work with EDP DSDT.)

Test 2:

Display sleep without external monitor hooked up with default EDP revision 65 DSDT...

-Wakes to pixelated screen

Test 3:

Display sleep with external monitor hooked up in mirror mode with user joe82's DSDT...

-External monitor is detected and works, sleeps fine

-Internal display wakes to a pixelated screen

-External monitor wakes fine

Test 4:

Display sleep with external monitor hooked up in "extended" mode with user joe82's DSDT...

-Internal display seeps fine

-External monitor is detected and works, sleeps fine

-Internal display wakes to pixelated screen

-External monitor wakes to "random vertical stripes of color bars" (Almost like a television emergency broadcast, but each "bar" is a random size.)

Conclusion:

-User joe82's DSDT is slightly better, as it enables external monitor support

-Internal display ALWAYS wakes to a pixelated screen, no matter the DSDT or having an external monitor present

I setup some hard drive room and installed 10.6.0 just for shits and giggles. I reran the exact same tests with the EDP revision 65 DSDT and here are my results:

-External display is not detected

-Internal display sleeps great

-Internal display wakes great. No pixelation.

Can someone provide me with a link to completely uninstall EDP revision 65 and install the older revision? I'd like to test out revision 43 with Lion/Snow Leopard and see if the display corruption happens. In other words, I'd like to see if its a Lion specific issue, or an EDP issue. (Revision 43 didn't seem to do this, but I really don't remember testing it out.) I plan on removing Snow Leopard and installing Lion on that partition. I do NOT plan on updating. I want to test revision 43 on 10.7.0 and revision 65 on 10.7.0. I feel this will let me know whether its an EDP issue, or a Lion issue.