Display corruption after wake from sleep

trowakage

• Administrators

Ok, I've delete SL 10.6.8 and installed to Lion on my D620 GMA using current bootpack and re-tested things:

Test 1: Initial pre-EDP retail 10.7.2 installation
--------------------------------------------------------------
1) set display sleep to 1min and active corners to display sleep
2) wait 1min -> display goes to sleep
3) press a key or move mouse -> display wakes, screen normal
4) move mouse to corner -> display goes to sleep
5) press a key or move mouse -> display wakes, screen normal

Test 2: 10.7.2 post-EDP v4 r65 installation & execution
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) wait 1min -> display goes to sleep
2) press a key or move mouse -> display wakes, screen normal
3) move mouse to corner -> display goes to sleep
4) press a key or move mouse -> display wakes, screen normal

Test 3: 10.7.5 post-EDP v4 r65 installation & execution
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) wait 1min -> display goes to sleep
2) press a key or move mouse -> display wakes, screen normal
3) move mouse to corner -> display goes to sleep
4) press a key or move mouse -> display wakes, screen normal

-> All kosher to me. No issues at all with display after display wake or even after computer wake, i.e. no apparent bug. I assume latest bootpack contains updated DSDT with Joe82's fix and that updating EDP to rev. 65 does apply this newest DSDT.

Please note that:
- my D620 runs BIOS A10
- my BIOS settings are as per specified in dedicated thread
- I opt for my own EDP kexts settings, not pre-defined settings:

• VoodooPS2
  • NullCPU
  • SleepEnabler
  • SpeedStep
  • TSCSync
  • PatchedHDA (D620)
  • VoodooBattery

- I also opt for Hibernation & touch /S/L/E fixes

Managed to fix it. It is definitely a DSDT issue as replacing the rev 65 DSDT with this one:

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/67-dsdt-for-d820d620/

solves the problem. So perhaps the mirroring fix in the latest EDP is causing this issue.

Can confirm this fixes it. Running DSDT from quoted link is fixing display corruption issue.

(Its for a D620-GMA. Will this affect my D520? I don't want to run this too long if it will. D520/D620-GMA are almost identical. BIOS is different however.)

Sweeeeeeeeeet! Insomnia now works! (Must have hot corner for display sleep. Display will not wake back up upon lid open.)

Damn. This disables VGA output. :(

Well, here's my setup as well, just for documentation.

-D520

-BIOS A08

-BIOS setup per the Herve's thread (where applicable)

User configured EDP settings

-AnV-Slice modified VoodooPS2

-NullCPU

-SleepEnabler

-Emulated SpeedStep

-TSCSync

-AppleSmartBattery

-Hibernation fix

I've never had to "touch" /S/L/E, but I did it with original DSDT I just reinstalled and it did not fix the issue.

Just made some tests on my D620 GMA with Mario standing by. Laptop was running fresh installation of SL 10.6.8 with the latest EDP (v4 r65) & downloaded boot pack DSDT.

Tried mirroring on 2 different external displays:
- a 19" standard screen LCD 1280x1024
- a 20" widescreen LCD 1680x1050

Here are my findings:

D620 with following BIOS settings:
. System password: set (mandatory or BSOD on wake)
. Password bypass: reboot & resume Bypass
. USB wake support: disabled or enabled (both tried)

Test 1: D620 connected to 20" 1680x1050 screen
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1) screen extension and/or mirroring -> all Ok
2) laptop to sleep with either Fn-Esc or Close lid or Apple menu -> Suspend -> all Ok (both screens shut off)
3) laptop to wake with either On/Off button or Open lid -> LCD back on, external screen stays off. VGA cable has to be unplugged & replugged to get external video back (sometimes several times)

Test 2: D620 connected to 19" 1280x1024 screen
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1) screen extension and/or mirroring -> all Ok
2) laptop to sleep with either Fn-Esc or Close lid or Apple menu -> Suspend -> all Ok (both screens shut off)
3) laptop to wake with either On/Off button or Open lid -> LCD back on, external screen stays off. VGA cable has to be unplugged & replugged to get external video back and freq set to highest (75Hz vs. 60Hz - screen stays dark @60Hz)

I also noticed that external screen and built-in LCD can be set to resolution that differ between them. For instance, when screen resolution is 1280x800 on the built-in LCD and 1280x1024 on the external screen, the latter may not work at 60Hz but it will at 75Hz! So, there's definitely something about frequency & resolution here...

Key point: no garbled screen, whether built-in LCD or external screen at no point. There does not seem to be a DSDT issue as far as I'm concerned here.

The good points are that, on the D620 GMA:
a. screen mirroring now works
b. USB wake is now supported

I'll try and retest with Lion 10.7.5 tomorrow.

You indicate the VGA display does not come-up after a wake. I have seen something similar. I often see the VGA display
was detected by clicking on the display icon in the title bar (if you have it enabled). I usually change the current VGA
resolution configuration from that ever it is, to another one. That usually fixes the problem. I do not know why this happens.

Ran a few tests last night. I freed up some hard drive space and installed Snow Leopard to test on that as well. All tests were done with the "display sleep" hot corner, and retested with the "1 minute display sleep" setting.

OS X 10.7.5

Test 1:

Display sleep with external monitor hooked up with default EDP revision 65 DSDT...

-Internal display sleeps fine

-External monitor is not detected

-Internal display wakes up "pixelated"

-Nothing happens on external monitor

(I've never gotten VGA out to work with EDP DSDT.)

Test 2:

Display sleep without external monitor hooked up with default EDP revision 65 DSDT...

-Wakes to pixelated screen

Test 3:

Display sleep with external monitor hooked up in mirror mode with user joe82's DSDT...

-External monitor is detected and works, sleeps fine

-Internal display wakes to a pixelated screen

-External monitor wakes fine

Test 4:

Display sleep with external monitor hooked up in "extended" mode with user joe82's DSDT...

-Internal display seeps fine

-External monitor is detected and works, sleeps fine

-Internal display wakes to pixelated screen

-External monitor wakes to "random vertical stripes of color bars" (Almost like a television emergency broadcast, but each "bar" is a random size.)

Conclusion:

-User joe82's DSDT is slightly better, as it enables external monitor support

-Internal display ALWAYS wakes to a pixelated screen, no matter the DSDT or having an external monitor present

I setup some hard drive room and installed 10.6.0 just for shits and giggles. I reran the exact same tests with the EDP revision 65 DSDT and here are my results:

-External display is not detected

-Internal display sleeps great

-Internal display wakes great. No pixelation.

Can someone provide me with a link to completely uninstall EDP revision 65 and install the older revision? I'd like to test out revision 43 with Lion/Snow Leopard and see if the display corruption happens. In other words, I'd like to see if its a Lion specific issue, or an EDP issue. (Revision 43 didn't seem to do this, but I really don't remember testing it out.) I plan on removing Snow Leopard and installing Lion on that partition. I do NOT plan on updating. I want to test revision 43 on 10.7.0 and revision 65 on 10.7.0. I feel this will let me know whether its an EDP issue, or a Lion issue.

When using one of my DSDT,s I recommend disabling the Graphics Enabler in Chameleon.

I do this by setting the variable "GraphicsEnabler" to No in /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

I also do the following just in case.

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1440x900x32</string>

I think I know what you mean by pixelated screen. When I was using the

default DSDT on my D620 with 1440x900 screen, it would look like I lost

every other pixel in each direction, after a wake. I found that I needed to

add the variable AAPL01,DualLink with value 1 to the DSDT. This fixed the

problem. I was under the impression that Dual Link is only used with displays

that have larger resolutions. I guess this might not always be true.

I will add another DSDT for the D520 in the original thread under "Other Research & Testing"

in D620/GMA Display Mirror fix with that variable set to 1.

When using one of my DSDT,s I recommend disabling the Graphics Enabler in Chameleon.

I do this by setting the variable "GraphicsEnabler" to No in /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

I also do the following just in case.

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1440x900x32</string>

I think I know what you mean by pixelated screen. When I was using the

default DSDT on my D620 with 1440x900 screen, it would look like I lost

every other pixel in each direction, after a wake. I found that I needed to

add the variable AAPL01,DualLink with value 1 to the DSDT. This fixed the

problem. I was under the impression that Dual Link is only used with displays

that have larger resolutions. I guess this might not always be true.

I will add another DSDT for the D520 in the original thread under "Other Research & Testing"

in D620/GMA Display Mirror fix with that variable set to 1.

After following this advice (Chameleon boot.plist modifications) the posted D520 DSDT did not work. Please see other thread for details.

Also, can we continue this conversation in the other thread? It is the Research & Testing forum, so I feel any development and testing should be performed there. This is the Bugs forum.

Thanks for everything you've done so far, joe! Please continue to keep at it. Our DSDT's could use some help, and you're on the right track.

• Administrators

Hi guys, those of you on D620 GMA950 HiRes (1440x900), could you check whether you use the LoRes (1280x900) DSDT or HiRes DSDT? There's no easy way to check the version except decompiling the table to DSL file (via ChamWizard for example) and checking it out in a text editor (look for "Width" and/or "Height" parameters in Hex -> 0xA0 0x05 and 0x84 0x03 respectively for Hi Res, 0xB0 0x04 and 0x20 0x03 respectively for LoRes).

I say this because there is only one D620 GMA950 bootpack wich contains both DSDT tables and, by default, the LoRes table is installed as /Extra/DSDT.aml. You have to go to model specific subdirectory of /Extra to find the HiRes DSDT.

Maybe the root cause of the problem is simply the wrong DSDT. I could not reproduce the problem with my D620 GMA950, but it's a LoRes model...

I have a high-res D620 with the graphics characteristics pasted below. I am using the high-res (I assume) DSDT from this post. Running at full resolution with no external monitor connected the hackintosh wakes up perfectly fine (system password enabled, and no password upon resume/reboot).

So,- I cannot reproduce the reported bug on this box.

/N

===================================

Intel GMA 950:

Chipset Model:    GMA 950
  Type:    GPU
  Bus:    Built-In
  Slot:    Built in
  VRAM (Total):    64 MB of Shared System Memory
  Vendor:    Intel (0x8086)
  Device ID:    0x27a2
  Revision ID:    0x0003
  Displays:
Display:
  Resolution:    1440 x 900
  Pixel Depth:    32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
  Main Display:    Yes
  Mirror:    Off
  Online:    Yes
  Built-In:    Yes
Display Connector:

• Administrators

That's the HiRes DSDT all right.

Ok , so to me, that definitely points the built-in LCD corrupted graphics on wake to incorrect DSDT table. Thanks for your feedback. We'll put a new bootpack out for D620 GMA950 HiRes.