D620 GMA950 - External display corruption at/above 1280x1024, EDP v4-r65 and beyond

nmotoh

On my D620 with GMA-950 (Device ID: 0x27a2) when I change to the maximum resolution (1280x1024) of my external monitor the lowest 1" of the screen is garbled/corrupt. I am using EDP revision 65. Also as previously reported the display come corrupt when waking from sleep.

Any ideas?

TIA.

• Administrators

last night herve did extensive testing on this subject. it seems it has to do with the external monitor resolution also the Hz of the monitor has an effect on this. at 75Hz the monitor would respond correctly at certain resolutions. have you tried the detect monitor function in the prefpane.

last night herve did extensive testing on this subject. it seems it has to do with the external monitor resolution also the Hz of the monitor has an effect on this. at 75Hz the monitor would respond correctly at certain resolutions. have you tried the detect monitor function in the prefpane.

Thanks for a prompt response. Yes, the monitor is detected correctly (Sony SDM HX75). The monitor is able to function at both 60Hz or 75 Hz. Both values are selectable. The result is the same as mentioned above.

what mode are you using extended or mirrored? also which bios version does your laptop have.

My BIOS settings are exactly as described here on the forum (https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1869-bios-settings-d620/). The bios rom version is A10. Also my D620 has an Intel 3945ABG network card, which does not work (expected). So I am using a TrendNet USB wifi stick instead (no airport support). If that matters?

Edit 1:

Well, I guess it must be extended as I am using it when the laptop is docked and the lid is closed. Let me get back to you asap on un-docked/extended/mirrored information.

Edit 2:

In extended mode (no dock): The external display at full resolution has the reported problem. Built-in display is ok.

In mirrored mode (no dock): Once changed to mirrored mode the built-in display becomes completely corrupt (no image at at any resolution). The external display has the 1" problem.

so that was with the monitor connected straight to the docking station or to the laptop vga port? the docking station has not been thoroughly researched.

That was without using the docking station at all, so directly from the vga port to the monitor.

Later, I reinstalled EDP again - and ran myFix manually. Then I got a kernal panic (see pic). So I don't think this is related to EDP.

Sorry to have bothered you and thanks a lot for the concern.

post-5477-001659000 1354514890_thumb.jpg

I am not sure if I should continue this thread but here goes:

I tried update my dsdt.aml from this thread.

Addtionally I set the "GraphicsEnabler" to "No" and "Graphics Mode" to "1280x1024x32" in org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

During boot the resolution is ok and chameleon boots all fine, and appears to be at the resolution 1280x1024.

Once the login screen of SL 10.6.8 (BTW) appears the buttom 1" of the screen is garbled.

This is regardless if the monitor is connected to VGA port of the dock or the VGA port on the D620. Changing the update frequence (60 or 75 Hz) does not change this.

What is further strange (to me) is that when connected to the DVI port of the dock the resolution of the monitor is at maximum during boot until the login screen appears at which point the PC goes to sleep (as if the lid was closed = no monitor).

Please let me know if I should post this information elsewhere and if you need some more testing on the DVI port...

Thanks in advance.

Here are my findings:

1) No dock. Monitor connected to built-in VGA port:

Monitor extended desktop at full resolution 1280x1024 @75 Hz

Internal display at 1440x900. :-)

2a) Using the dock, Monitor connected to dock-VGA port, lid open:

Same as above.

2b Using the dock, lid closed:

Almost as above… unfortunately the monitor is handled as extended desktop and main display cannot be identified. When the lid is opened it does not turn on.

3a) Same as 2a but using the DVI port:

No signal to the monitor, "Detect Displays" does not help.

3b) Same as 2b but using the DVI port:

No signal to the monitor, "Detect Displays" does not help.