d520 wont boot after update of software

john67

finally got internet and a update box appeared. i updated and get a kernel panic with a box saying

"pc needs to be rebooted. press and hold power button untill pc shuts down then repress power button"

but all that happens is i get the panic and error box again and again

so i re-installed the laptop and not updated but made a note of the availible updates

heres the updates

mac osx update combined

remote desktop client update

ilife support

itunes

airport utility

can anyone explain why it is that i get the error or why it wont boot up

• Administrators

Which OS version did you install? All updates are safe, except OS X update, which is potentially problematic.

For example, updating from 10.6.3 to 10.6.8 or 10.7.3 to 10.7.4/5 without precaution usually results in systematic KP at reboot. On the other hand, it's usually pretty safe to update from early 10.6 to 10.6.7, from 10.7.4 to 10.7.5 or 10.8 to any subsequent versions.

What we always recommend is:

1) never us Apple-menu/auto OS X updates but download Combo updates off Apple's web site

2) after combo update execution, do not reboot but re-run EDP kext installation, then reboot

• Administrators

10.6.1? That's not a retail version... How do you install OS X???

Yes, you can install all the other updates, except OS X 10.6.8. For that specific update, download the Combo update, run it BUT before rebooting like specified upon execution, re-run EDP and proceed with kext installation again. then it's safe to reboot into 10.6.8.

• Administrators

Mmm, sounds like a well-known distro, you might not be 100% kosher and EDP-compatible... Only 10.6.0 and 10.6.3 are retail versions. I guess newest Apple 10.6.8 SL offering should be too.

To get OS X version, do Apple Menu-> About this Mac 

Mmm, sounds like a well-known distro, you might not be 100% kosher and EDP-compatible... Only 10.6.0 and 10.6.3 are retail versions. I guess newest Apple 10.6.8 SL offering should be too.

right il look into the retail disc's

thanks for heads up on that