keyboard not uk english

john67

when i installed osx 10.6.1 i chose english and british but my keyboard is in american? i mean if i want the @ icon i have to press shift and 2

ive been in system preferences and keyboard but cant see anyway to change it to uk?

any help appreciated

You used a "distro", or a non-Apple sanctioned install disk, didn't you?

Apple only released 10.6, 10.6.3, and 10.6.8 install images/DVD's. Most "distros" of OS X usually strip out the fonts/keyboard layouts to preserve space and make the install disk fit on one single layer 4.7Gb DVD.

Reinstall using Apple sanctioned media. Thats the only way we can help you.

• Administrators

It's a common and well-known issue that the PC keyboard layout of a Hackintosh does not 100% match Apple's layout. It's not a problem of distros vs. legit' installation media. There are tools to circumvent that issue though...

Download a tool called Ukelele: http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=ukelele

Open the package folder (do not install it); you'll find a Logitech keyboard Layout directory. Select the 2 files appropriate to your EN-UK layout and copy them to "/Library/Keyboard Layouts" folder on your HDD. I attach screendumps for my FR keyboard as an example.

:Library:Keyboard_Layouts.png

Then open up the "Language & text" pref pane and go to the "Input Method" tab. Scroll down the list, select your newly installed layout and check the "Display input menu in menu bar" box.

Input_methods.png

You should then see the little language flag in the bar, usually next to the clock. Click on the flag and select your Logitech layout.

Language_selection.png

That will give you the correct keyboard layout.

You can then complete this with DoubleCommand tool: http://doublecommand.sourceforge.net/

Once it is installed, open up the pref pane and:

. select "Command key acts as Option Key"

. select "Option Key acts as Command Key"

. select "PC style Home and End Keys"

. click on "Activate", then save "User" + "System"

Double_Command.png

This is useful to be able to use the "Windows" key as "Apple" key for instance, or the Home & END keys as per on a regular Windows PC.

Herve, it IS a problem of using a "distro" on this one though. Sure, most PC keyboards are different from Mac's, however its usually just a few keys, not every key. As soon as he said he has to use Shift+2 for the "@" symbol, that told me he was using an American QWERTY keyboard layout. The fact that he cannot change to a UK keyboard layout tells me that whomever built the install disk removed all language support and probably fonts. 

What happens when you remove all the language/keyboard packs? You get stuck with American QWERTY layout, with American English dictionaries because Apple caters to Americans, so its the default.

(I usually use Dvorak layout, and with "distros" I never got that option. Because it was removed.)