Hello from Sandra (aka doh!)

SandrA

Hi all

I forgot (doh!) the password to my old Dell 620 and, after failing all afternoon to rescue it, thought it might be fun to have a go at turning it into a Mac. So, following the online instructions, it started well until, in MyHack, I misread '/' as just something to click on to get to the preference to install onto my 8GB flash drive. Doh! (2) as with a couple of more clicks I'd installed Extra onto my MBP.

Easily remedied, I thought as I deleted the Extras folder. But no: now if I close the lid to use the external monitor the Mac just shuts down. And needs lost of prodding to reboot after that. And prompts a system warning that I've shut down because of a problem, and would I like to send a report to Apple ... kernel panics. Eeech! If I try to do a restart - s.a. after lots of preference repairs - it also shuts down with the same issues.

Am I the only idiot to have done this (probably!)? Is there a solution (hopefully!)? Please help if you have any ideas.

x S

Thank you SO much for that link iMick. I'm afraid it didn't help though: my MBP is running Snow Leopard & refuses to boot from the latest Install DVD I have, which is Leopard.

Do you think if I bought Mountain Lion and just updated the OS my problem would go away?

Thanks again,

x

S

I think you have a GUID partition layout, so you should boot an OS X installation disc. (Leopard should boot also?). If you see it's GUID, you can follow this guide, from myHack.

GUID SOLUTION:

1) Boot your mac with an OS X Install DVD (doesn’t matter which version, whatever is installed on your system would be best).
2) Start Disk Utility
3) Select the OS X HDD/SSD that you screwed up (not specific partition)
4) Go to the Partition tab
5) Grab the lower right corner of your key partition and resize it a little bit (no matter how much/little you resize it as long as you change the partition size)
6) Click Apply. Relax, this will NOT erase your HDD/SSD, it only rewrites your GUID partition data that will fix your HDD/SSD.
7) Quit the Disk Utility and reboot.
8) Enjoy your restored Mac that should now boot normally

• Administrators

Sandra, did you just run the "Install Extra" on your MBP's HDD or was it the "Create 10.x installer"?

Mick, it doesn't sound like a GUID/partition issue, does it? It seems to me more like the system files are screwed up.

Sandra, did you just run the "Install Extra" on your MBP's HDD or was it the "Create 10.x installer"?

Mick, it doesn't sound like a GUID/partition issue, does it? It seems to me more like the system files are screwed up.

Create 10.x installer shouldn't be possible on the OS drive, because myHack formats the drive first. You can't format the OS X drive, while booted. I think she choose Install Chameleon accidently..

It is a issue with Chameleon and active partitions (I think), because she installed Chameleon on her MacBookPro.. Rebuild the GUID partition format should fix it, according to Conti (myHack).

Or do you know for sure that you only choose "Install Extra"? Then it could be that myHack.kext gets loaded. Only removing the Extra folder doesn't fix it. You also need to remove the myHack.kext out of /System/Library/Extensions.

Boot in -s (Single User Mode) and try this> 

/sbin/mount -uw /
rm -R /Extra

cd /System/Library/Extensions
rm -Rf myHack.kext

Wow but you guys are so supportive!

For the record I did just run "Install Extra"; I duped my MBP drive to an external drive and tried GUID & MBR SOLUTIONS to no avail.

But, the Single User Mode route seems to have done the trick: hooray!

Thank you all so much for your help!

x S

The GUID solution was only if you "Installed Chameleon" ;-). I misread it..

But nice that the other method worked :). It is because myHack puts the kexts in /Extra/Extensions, but it does more to make Kernel Cache working. MyHack creates a kext in /System/Library/Extensions, called myHack.kext. In that kext all kexts (from /Extra/Extensions) are in the plugin folder, and get loaded by Kernel Cache.

Quick explanation for other people, who might get the same problem ;-).

• Like 1