D430 / Lion 10.7.2 - system slow and unresponsive during install, unable to open disk utility

jansenspencer

Hi there,

I'm having real problems trying to install on a D430. Everything works (very slowly) until I try to use Disk Utility to format my HDD - the menu bar at the top is that of disk util, but no window ever appears...

The mouse is also very, very slow - or rather, it is intermittent. I'm sure I've seen something about this in another thread, or on another site maybe, but I've searched and searched and can't seem to see it again.

Does anyone have any advice? I'm using the internal trackpad if that helps.

I also have an E6410 and a Latitude 2100 lying around that I plan to hac just for fun, but as the D430 seems to be well supported, I thought this would be a good place to start in earnest (I did have a go with the E6410 a while ago, but a house move and new job got in the way). Would people generally agree that the D430 is the best place to start?

Cheers.

Jon

• Administrators

The D430 runs extremely well under Snow Leopard, a tad slower under Lion. Now regarding your performance issue, I'd suggest you look into the BIOS settings. Check for SpeedStep being enabled. When you boot the installer, I'd also advise to interrupt the process and enter boot option "USBBusFix=No"; that often removes Keyboard/Mouse issues with Lion installation.

Not having a D430 at hand, I'd be much obliged if you would post the complete list of BIOS settings parameters so that we can advise on best/recommended settings in a similar fashion as what was done for the D620, D630 and D830.

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1869-bios-settings-d620/

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1868-bios-settings-d630/

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1901-bios-settings-d830-nvidia-nvs-135m/

Thanks in advance.

The D430 runs extremely well under Snow Leopard, a tad slower under Lion. Now regarding your performance issue, I'd suggest you look into the BIOS settings. Check for SpeedStep being enabled. When you boot the installer, I'd also advise to interrupt the process and enter boot option "USBBusFix=No"; that often removes Keyboard/Mouse issues with Lion installation.

Not having a D430 at hand, I'd be much obliged if you would post the complete list of BIOS settings parameters so that we can advise on best/recommended settings in a similar fashion as what was done for the D620, D630 and D830.

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1869-bios-settings-d620/

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1868-bios-settings-d630/

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1901-bios-settings-d830-nvidia-nvs-135m/

Thanks in advance.

Ok, before I get into BIOS settings... I followed the tip about USBBusFix=No but it didn't seem to help. I then reset all BIOS settings to default (out of curiosity) which, although still slow, did manage to get me into Disk Utility. To be fair, this may have just been a coincidence. Anyway, I now have a veeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrryyyyy sllloooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwww Lion 10.7.2 installation on my D430 :-)

Let's see if we can get the BIOS settings tweaked. I'll highlight my current settings in bold.

Onboard Devices

Integrated NIC: Off, Enabled, Enabled w/PXE, Enabled w/RPL

Internal Modem: Off, Enabled

External USB Ports: Off, Enabled

Integrated USB Hub: Compatible, High Speed

Parallel Port: Off, AT, PS/2, ECP

Serial port: Off, COM1, Com2, Com3, Com4

PC Card and 1394: Off, Enabled

ASF Mode: Off, Alert Only, Enabled

Microphone: Off, Enabled

Video

Ambient Light Sensor: Off, Enabled

Brightness: 1,2,3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Brightness (AC): 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8

LCD Panel Expansion: Off, Enabled

Primary Video: Dock Video Card, Onboard Video

Security

Admin Password: (Not Set)

System Password: (Not Set)

Internal HDD PW: (Not Set)

Password Change: Denied, Permitted

Password Bypass: Off, Reboot Bypass, Resume Bypass, Reboot & Resume Bypass

Wireless Switch Change: Permitted, Denied

Wi-Fi Catcher Change: Permitted, Denied

CPU XD Support: Off,  Enabled

TPM Security: Off, On

TPM Activation: Deactivate, Activate

Computrace®: Disable, Deactivate, Activate

Performance

Multi Core Support: Off, Enabled

Speedstep Enable: Off, Enabled

Power Management

Auto On Mode: Off, Every Day, Weekdays

Auto On Time: 08:00 AM

USB Wake Support: Off, Enabled

Wake on LAN/WLAN: Off, LAN Only, LAN or WLAN

Docking

Undocking Method: Hot Undock, Warm Undock, Enabled Silent

Universal Connect: Off, Enabled

POST Behaviour

Adapter Warnings: Off, Enabled

Fn Key Emulation: Off, Scroll Lock

Fast Boot: Minimal, Thorough, Auto

Virtualization: Off, Enabled

Keypad (Embedded) Fn Key Only, By Num Lk

Mouse/Touchpad: Serial Mouse, PS/2 Mouse, Touchpad-PS/2

Numlock LED: Off, On

USB Emulation: Off, Enabled

Wireless

Internal Bluetooth:  Off, Enabled

Internal Wi-Fi: Off, Enabled

Internal Cellular: Off, Enabled

Wireless Switch: None, Wi-Fi, BT, Wi-Fi & BT, Cell, Cell & Wi-Fi, Cell & BT, All

Wi-Fi Catcher: Off, Enabled, Reset to Basic Mode

I'm about to have a look at the suggested D630 settings and maybe make a few changes :-)

Cheers,

Jon

On a whim, I set my USB ports to "Compatible" in my D520.

I can confirm that it indeed slowed OS X Lion to a crawl. Reminded me of the days when we had to boot with "CPUS=1" or suffer the dual-core stutter that Dell laptop's were notorious for.

Also, Herve, give me an hour or two and I'll throw up a post for the D520 BIOS settings required to boot OS X. (I've found that some matter, most don't.)

Thanks guys. Curiously, I'm still suffering terrible performance. Can't help wondering if it's graphics related, but won't be able to spend any more time with it until tomorrow :-(

Would booting 32-bit make a difference, given that I have IntelGMA 945 onboard? I tried this morning before work, and sat staring at a grey screen for about 10 minutes...

I *thought* that's what I had done, but you've asked the question in such a way that I realise I must have gone wrong when building the myhack USB.

I will go back to the start tomorrow, rebuild the USB (taking care to include the bootpack, as it sounds like this is where I went wrong) and post back the results :-)

Spec summary: C2D 1.2Ghz, 2Gb, 60Gb HDD