Latitude E5430

driedger

Other than USB3 not working (ports still work as USB2) and speed stepping, everything seems to be working.  Fingers crossed, I'm going to stress it this weekend and see how it goes.

Hope this helps somebody else out there.

For correct  speed stepping try using SSDT.aml I have added for i3-3210 to /E.  Since CPU might differ I'd rather not include it in dsdt.  

I also have added and corrected some patches to dsdt.aml -  HPET, LPCB and other.  Would be interesting to compare with yours clover-fixed.  BTW I have problems with sleep when booting with Clover - sleep is not entered fully and no wake up.

How do you judge that no usb3 is present,  CalDigitxxx aren't loading?  

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ess8prezh1ptco6/c7V_00VCVx

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

USB3 on this machine should be through the Z77 chipset, but the VIA hub that is built-in isn't supported in OSX as far as I know.   Hopefully this changes in the future.

For reference, I am now booting an internal drive using Clover with the BIOS set for UEFI boot.  Clover is happy to boot this machine via conventional BIOS booting as well.  

KEXTS:

FakeSMC.kext

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext

BCM5722D.kext

VoodooPS2Controller.kext

VoodooHDA.kext

IOath3kfrmwr.kext *

CalDigitFastIO.kext *

CalDigitUSBxHCI.kext *

Notes:

AppleACPIPlatform.kext, AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext - battery information.

BCM5722D.kext - Ethernet, put in IONetworkingFamily plugins folder

VoodooPS2.kext - one that was posted earlier in this thread, for trackpad

* IOath3kfrmwr.kext - not needed for most, loads the firmware for bluetooth to work with wifi/bt combo card i use.

* Caldigit kexts are for USB3 expresscard34 device.

Clover Patches these kexts on the fly at boot time:

AppleRTC.kext (not needed?)

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorage (trim support)

I haven't looked at the Card reader yet - it's at the end of my list.

DSDT

I added the info for EHCx and the bare minimum to make it compile - DTGP section added and fixed names (_T_0 etc)

Clover applies the following patches:

HPET

LAN

WIFI

I've dumped my DSDT with all this applied and called it 'DSDT_CloverPatched.aml'

The DSDT i normally boot with is just called DSDT.aml

I've zipped my EFI folder if anyone wants to see what else is in there (eg, UEFI64 drivers, config.plist).

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v5naxlsj6zb984r/N3zXxS-HRa

To let you all know. After update to 10.8.3  the following changes were needed.  

1) In AppleInterFramebufferCapri.kext change connector string for AAPL,ig-platform-id: 01660003 (if that's what u use)

from

@0, 05 03 00 00 02 00 00 00 03 00 00 00 // LVDS
@1, 02 05 00 00 00 08 00 00 06 00 00 00 // DisplayPort
@2, 03 04 00 00 00 04 00 00 81 00 00 00 // DisplayPort
@3, 04 06 00 00 00 04 00 00 81 00 00 00 // DisplayPort

to

@0, 05 03 00 00 02 00 00 00 03 02 00 00 // LVDS
@1, 02 05 00 00 00 08 00 00 06 00 00 00 // DisplayPort
@2, 03 04 00 00 00 04 00 00 81 00 00 00 // DisplayPort
@3, 04 06 00 00 00 04 00 00 81 00 00 00 // DisplayPort

Otherwise screen won't lit.   Alternatively use patched one from 10.8.2

Some other kexts were overwritten So I had to return the patched ones.

AppleACPIPlatform.kext (for battery)

IOBluetoothFamily.kext

IOAudioFamily.kext (needed by VoodooHDA?)

IONetworkingFamily.kext no longer needs patching as it includes BCM5722D.kext with pci144e,1681 it seems

As for WiFi card (I use Atheros AR5B95) I patched IO80211Family.kext again by adding its id

into match list of info.plist inside the AirPortAtheros40.kext   (WiFi)

Let me know how it goes in your case.

BTW.  Still trying to enable HDMI.  

I am almost sure that it is the 4th connector string i.e.  @3, 04 06 00 00 00 04 00 00 81 00 00 00 // DisplayPort

It senses hotplug and it worked on my HP Probook but some numbers have yet to be adjusted.

I was mistaken about USB3 and a VIA hub.  After some DSDT edits, USB3 is working great now.  

EDIT:  In addition to the DSDT edits for USB3, I'm also using GenericXHCI.kext with boot flag -gux_defer_usb2

I now consider this almost 100%.  In all honesty, I think its a better hack than my Probook 4430 was.  

Only thing that is sketchy is VoodooSDHC.kext - I load this manually for the very few times I need it.

post-9301-0-99830700-1366399229_thumb.png

post-9301-0-36576000-1366399274_thumb.png

Good to know there are others having good luck with ML on this laptop. After starting this thread and working on getting mine working for a bit, I eventually gave up after I rendered my system unbootable after trying to update from 10.8.0 to 10.8.2. I never was able to get the HD4000 graphics to work. Every attempt would always result in a black screen (like the monitor turned off).

I just gave it a shot last night again with a fresh copy of 10.8.3 but I am only able to boot with -x into safe mode. Even with safe mode I need to boot with GraphicsEnabler=No otherwise I get the black screen. With GraphicsEnabler=Yes safe mode will boot and i can access the computer through screen sharing. I notice that it does detect the HD4000 Graphics with 512MB ram, so Im guessing that the connector strings in AppleInterFramebufferCapri.kext must be off.

I was going to try the EDP now that the E5430 is included in it, but since I can only boot into safe mode it doesn't seem to want to work. Also the BCM5722D.kext included in the EDP will not get my ethernet port working, same thing with the included VoodooPS2.kext.

Can someone explain to me how to change the connector strings in AppleInterFramebufferCapri.kext or share some working kext's? I tried opening the AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelframebufferCapri with a hex editor as per a guide I found but I cant seem to find the lines that need to be edited.

Any other tips to get up and running with 10.8.3 would also be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Good to know there are others having good luck with ML on this laptop. After starting this thread and working on getting mine working for a bit, I eventually gave up after I rendered my system unbootable after trying to update from 10.8.0 to 10.8.2. I never was able to get the HD4000 graphics to work. Every attempt would always result in a black screen (like the monitor turned off).

I just gave it a shot last night again with a fresh copy of 10.8.3 but I am only able to boot with -x into safe mode. Even with safe mode I need to boot with GraphicsEnabler=No otherwise I get the black screen. With GraphicsEnabler=Yes safe mode will boot and i can access the computer through screen sharing. I notice that it does detect the HD4000 Graphics with 512MB ram, so Im guessing that the connector strings in AppleInterFramebufferCapri.kext must be off.

Take kexts from here.

AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext is tuned for profile-id 01 66 00 09

Can someone explain to me how to change the connector strings in AppleInterFramebufferCapri.kext or share some working kext's? I tried opening the AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelframebufferCapri with a hex editor as per a guide I found but I cant seem to find the lines that need to be edited.

I can't offer much help with that ... I haven't done any DSDT or kext patches for graphics - just used the EFI string I posted earlier with GraphicsInjector/GraphicsEnabler=No for the boot loader and graphics just work for me.

Take kexts from here.

AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext is tuned for profile-id 01 66 00 09

Ok thanks! I put that kext in, and it still wouldn't boot. I read what you mentioned earlier in the post regarding 10.8.3 and replaced AppleACPIPlatform.kext IOBluetoothFamily.kext IOAudioFamily.kext with the ones from your dropbox, and I am now able to boot!

Out of curiosity, what processor do you have? I was wondering if the dsdt.aml and ssdt.aml files would also work for my unit, it doesnt look like sleep is working for me at the moment, though now that the system boots there's a lot of other things I should test to see if they work too.

I can't offer much help with that ... I haven't done any DSDT or kext patches for graphics - just used the EFI string I posted earlier with GraphicsInjector/GraphicsEnabler=No for the boot loader and graphics just work for me.

I tried the EFI string you posted, along with several others and was never able to get any of them to enable the graphics adapter on my machine. The closest I would ever get was a black monitor on internal display and garbled output on hdmi. 

Now with nsemenov's AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext I have Intel HD Graphics 4000 384MB reporting, and I get the correct 1600x900 detected on internal display as well as 1080p output to a connected HDMI Monitor.