Kext for E6500

TheBenjy

Hello and congratulations for your work!

From my side, I installed on ML on a Dell Latitude E6500.

I change the wireless card with a comptatible Mac OS X.

For cons, I have a problem with the graphics card, I do not find her kext ...

This is a Intel Mobile 4 Express series?

Can you help me please?

Unfortunately, the GMAX3100 does not currently have support in Mountain Lion from Apple. Although I have not tried it (I have NVidia NVS 160M), there is something here:  http://www.osx86.net/video-graphics/13703-intel-gma-x3100-kext.html  that might be worth looking into, as it may make your graphic more usable

Please go into your BIOS (do so by repeatedly tapping the f2 key during startup). You will boot into the BIOS screen. Scroll down to the bottom, look for the VIDEO CONTROLLER section. As far as I am aware, there are two options for video controllers. They are: 
   NVIDIA® Quadro® NVS 160M 256MB DDR3*  or

Mobile Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X4500MHD*

Please let us know which one you have. 

You can escape BIOS by hitting the exit button, your E6500 should boot normally after (but maybe slower as it searches for any changes to BIOS)

• Administrators

Ok, so it's definitely not a GMA X3100 then, that reported info in Mountain Lion is incorrect. GM45 chipset includes the GMA 4500MHD graphics controller.

At 1st thought, you could believe to be out of luck: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/221394-intel-gma4500-gl-4x-express-chipset

Then: http://www.osx86.net/view/2866-gma_x-4500-m-mhd-hd_+64_bit_kext.html

The plist info covers your 0x2a42 controller, so it looks like you could be in business; give the 64bit kext a try and report back.

One may even wonder if, with a bit of reverse patching, that 64bit kext would work for GMA X3100... That'd be ace!!!

Herve, After my initial response, it dawned on me that I'd never heard of a GMA X3100 in the E6400/E6500 series, so I asked for them to go into BIOS to check. In my thread Mountain Lion Anyone, on page 10, there was a member who indicated he had some success with the GMA4500 MHD graphics. He hasn't been heard from since that point, so I have no idea if he has followed up with it or has had continued success. It appears he is using the same kext. I would also like to know how it works out so if successful, if so, it can be incorporated into the guide.

• Administrators

I would expect you to copy the kext to /Extra/Extensions or /System/Library/Extensions, then rebuild permissions+cache with myFix (full) before reboot. You'll probably have to try with boot options GraphicEnabler=Yes/No and then adjust your boot settings permanently in Chameleon boot plist once/if it works.

Try the various combinations and see if it works:

- kext in /E/E + GE=Yes

- kext in /E/E + GE=No

- kext in /S/L/E + GE=Yes

- kext in /S/L/E + GE=No

Read up the description, ReadMe file and comments (I know, 33pages!) as they probably contain useful info and tips. Sorry, I have no laptop with such graphics controller, so I can't really help you with testing...

The downloaded archive is of 7zip format so extract things from Windows with 7zip.

• Administrators

i have a dell studio 15 with a 4500 mhd it works surprisingly well in ml. it does not have core graphics capabilities but is definitely usable if you avoid anything that depends on core graphics..... and as to it showing as a gma x3100 thats chameleons graphics enabler... for some reason they have the hardware id as a x3100. i do not use any graphics enabler or modified kext for it. i just set the resolution in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist. screen sleep will not work.