Inspiron 9400

Guest blancmaison

• Administrators

Remember:

. Lion and ML only on Core 2 Duo CPUs, which I hear to be supported in the 9400 (nice).

. ML on nVidia models only (no GMA950 or ATI X1000 series support).

With a C2D CPU, performance will be quite similar to a D620 or D820 I guess, so fine under Lion... and ML by extension.

• Administrators
It will with the standard CPU run SL and Lion, but you will have to changed to a c2d to run ML

Doesn't Lion require C2D as a minimum too?

what was confusoing me a little was that i thought the inspiron 9400 were just core duo not core 2 duo ? quite a few i have seen all seem to be itel video as well so was unsure if ml would work on intel ?

The Dell documentation bears no mention of Core2Duo for that machine but, according to Leon who had one, the 9400 will support some; I guess it could only be a FSB-667 model from the T5000/T7000 family (better to check socket too!). ML will not run on any model with Intel GMA video, well you could install it but it'd be next to unusable without graphics acceleration.

I'll ditto that the 9400 can handle a Core2Duo; I swapped the C2D from an Inspiron 640m with the CoreDuo in this 9400, and both machines are happy in their roles.  I don't recall the exact CPU model I used, but it's a 2.0GHz IIRC.

With an SSD and 4GB of RAM, it is a fast machine, and the screen is great.

As a note, the Intel GMA video 9400's seem to need the Latitude D620 highres bootpacks and EDP to work correctly.  Trying with the 9400 bootpack and EDP makes the box blackscreen after briefly flashing a 4:3 letterboxed screen; hitting Fn-F8 a few times you end up with a 'torn' and 4:3 letterboxed image (it looks like severe horizontal sync tearing on a monitor).  But using the D620 highres bootpack and EDP works perfectly, and while the initial bootsplash is at 1440x900, when the system boots fully the full 1920x1200 resolution is avaialble, and works great, with the minor exception of wired networking.