Inspiron 1545 & OSX Snow Leopard / Lion

fallen00sniper

i haven't gotten anywhere with EDP yet, still working out what kext files help and updating to 10.6.8 messed me up so started over fresh and figured out what messed me up was the LegacyRTC kext and none of the others worked properly so i am gong to have to stay 10.6 until i figure it out further and have proper 10.7 kext files.

i now have audio, sleep, battery stuff and everything else working for the most part, thanks to 0sx86.net for such an extensive kext library and who ever made it!, microphone may not be working, but atleast i can hear audio now, i would say for a 10.6 hackbook i am like 90 - 99% complete and all kexts are backed up on my myhack pen!

also from what i found to test for QE/CI it is working, but for some reason netflix will not load the player at all, maybe due to flash or something, have to reinstall silverlight and see what happens.

after i test these other kext files i just installed and get chameleon looking proper again, i will be posting a zip for all the files i used and some i hadn't tried yet that might also work for sound and microphone and a detailed guide on installing.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Sorry, it's a bit difficult to know where you're at, so please correct/amend/update as required:

1) laptop now running SL 10.6.8

2) which bootloader version?

3) full QE/CI apparently, what about screen resolution and resolution changes?

4) audio working

5) battery support working

6) built-in Ethernet working

7) webcam working

8) wireless? If you have a DW1397, it's the same chip as DW1395, so patched IO80211Family or BCM43xxx kexts will get you wireless

9) sleep?

10) wake?

A few more questions:

Are you using NullCPUPowerManagement and SleepEnabler in /Extra? I have found that some system will work perfectly without any of them, sometimes SleepEnabler causing system to KP at startup.

You should try and use Cham v2.1. EDP use to provide r1791 but you should be Ok with more recent versions such as r2069 (I think it's still the official branch) or beyond (up to r2181 I think today).

It's possible that updating to SL 10.6.8 requires to revert to kexts from SL 10.6.3. On some systems, I've had to replace USB + PCI + ACPI kexts, but not on others... You should however definitely use the EDP provided ACPIPlatform kext (aka Coolbook fix).

What parameters do you have in your Cham boot plist? If you don't use NullCPUPwrMgmt, you should select P States + C States. You should also select UseKernelCache + Built-in Ethernet + Restart Fix. Set SystemType to laptop. If your graphics card/GPU is fully supported, I guess GraphicsEnabler can be set too.

I'll try and upload some of these kexts later on, as if they were provided by EDP.

I believe i had full QE/CI, but netflix and youtube both just black screen, generic myHack kext with sleepenabler and a few others, the kexts I was using are in the Extra folder I provided for download in my other thread.

I am currently stuck trying to get past the KP, full screen resolution with cham boot hack, using myHack cham still.

GraphicsEnabler is set yes. resolution is also set in com.chameleon.boot.plist.

Here is a link to the pack I put together for 10.6 hopefully it answers more than I can now, have to go to work.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h6mh04xkndwm7gk/SCNBZUX_J7

• Administrators

Mmm, it does not sound like you have full QE/CI then... Are you able to get max screen resolution and change resolution without setting the res in Cham boot plist? If no, then the framebuffer is probably not loaded.

No had to use a hack, neverball seems to run ok, only tried windowed, have all effects working smooth, just all flash items load but not play in Firefox, safari I had stuttered sound and no video.

Forgot, frontrow was black screen or I didntvwait long enough.

If you have had a chance to look over my kext files, I believe a newer sleepenabler would get past the kernel 23 < 24 pmVersion thing or a custom dsdt, when I used edp installed only last time I only had to -v to reach the desktop, kind of at a loss and about to go into work, waiting for a reply from the x4500 project in hopes of a better kext or something.

If you have any how to on kext and dsdt editing in mind I would like to read them and get this working on 10.6.8 at minimum, 10.6 was ok and daily usable.

What parameters do you have in your Cham boot plist? If you don't use NullCPUPwrMgmt, you should select P States + C States. You should also select UseKernelCache + Built-in Ethernet + Restart Fix. Set SystemType to laptop. If your graphics card/GPU is fully supported, I guess GraphicsEnabler can be set too.

you kind of lost me with setting stuff in the cham plist, i could get the latest cham and see if it works better, hopefully when i get up tomorrow you will have said something so i can get this thing done before the weekend lol

• Administrators

I had a look at the Dell documentation for that system. I had forgotten the GMA 4500MHD was totally unsupported in OS X.

Support for that graphics chipset has been an on-going saga for the last 3 or 4 years. By now, you'll have seen by yourself the various results obtained by different people who attempted to get their GMA 4500-based laptop running under OS X. It appears max screen resolution can be obtained through various tricks, but no-one will ever get full hardware acceleration (QE/CI), it'll all be handled by the CPU. It looks like some kind of GMAX3100 kext patching provides some sort of decent graphics support that allows gaming and videos/movies playout with minimal artefacts/ripple effect, but I've seen so many methods and would-be solutions that it's difficult to follow...

Personally, I'd start afresh with a myHack installation with generic /Extra and build-up from there. It would help to list the PCI information (Vendor id/Device id) of all your hardware, so that all necessary/missing kexts can be added to /E/E in an orderly manner.

If DSDT patching were required (for things like restart/shutdown or Sleep/wake issues), extract the table using Cham Wizard and send it to OSXL according to the process published by Dinesh: https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1945-dsdtssdt-patching/

To me, the main conclusion is that this particular model will never make a great Hackintosh (like all GMA 4500 machines), so probably not worth it in my opinion...

Game and animations work, just videos, I can use windows for other games and media, I just deleted the caches and sleep enabler again, but it locks up, so pro ably just reinstall 10.6 over it and test my luck.

I would like to finish this project up, eventually some one will come up with a permanent fix, so can we move on to dsdt patching and not worry about video playback.

Kind of become obsessed here lol.

Also planning on building a new high end desktop in a few months, so this is primarily for learning how mac works and what not.