D620 Lion No External Monitor

arcaman6

Hi Guys

Just completed installation of 10.7 Lion on D620. Everything sweet except that I am unable to get external monitor working.

Have plugged into VGA port but OSX does no recognise that there is a second display - clicking on Detect Displays in System Preferences->Displays has no effect and no secondary displays detected. Clicking Fn-F8 causes OSX to freeze and need to power down to restart.

Hardware is working - on booting up with Ubuntu Live CD external monitor works with no problem.

Install was done through EDP - only additional work was installation of IO802.11Family.kext and IONetworkingFamily.kext to fix Wifi not working issue. 2GB memory and 2GHz processor - Nvidia graphics card.

Can anyone suggest a fix? Many thanks for your help.

I had a similar issue with hooking up a projector , with me it was adjusting the resolution on the display since the output was only 1440x900 and a higher external monitor might not self adjust to display ,but then again that was with 10.6  now with Lion Im not sure  but hey still worth a shot.,

• Administrators

I can't remember if external display can be used under SL, it's too long since I last had SL on the D620 nVidia and even then, I can't remember if I ever tried it...

External screen operates on D620 GMA950, but you may experience some corruption at the botton, depending on resolution. All details are here: https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1977-external-display-corruption-atabove-1280x1024-edp-v4-r65-and-beyond/page-1

Thanks once again.

Using external monitor is fairly important to me - can you make a recommendation on a suitable laptop model which will run Lion (or Snow Leopard at a pinch) and properly implements the following:- WiFi, LAN, USB, Speaker, Audio_I/O, QE/CI, VGA, Trackpad, Sleep, Battery.

• Administrators

For VGA, you have 2 modes: mirror or extended.

By my own experience, the following models fully support your requirements:

- D620 GMA950

- D630 GMA X3100 (VGA in extended mode ok, in mirror mode only with lid closed)

- D630 nVidia

Lookup the other model sections (Dell and other manufacturers), I've only got experience on the D Series. Also, check the compatibility chart in EDP pages, it lists all supported features, model by model.