Did I brick my D620?

scram69

I have a D620 (Intel gfx) running 10.7.2.  I updated to the latest EDP to try some of the new kexts.  I ran the EDP installer (it detected my older 1.9.2 EDP) and installed the new kexts.

Now on boot, all I see is "Read HFS+ file:  [hd(0,2)/mach_kernel] 7948640 bytes."  Then it stops.  Gets no further.

Well, I see someone else has been bitten by the latest EDP.

There's a problem here guys.

I had long ago over-written the myHack USB stick I used for install.  Building a new one using either of the D620 bootpacks results in the same fail.

Fortunately, I was able to build a workable USB boot stick using the Extra folder from this post, plus the DSDT from the one of the latest D620 boot packs.

Therefore, the DSDT is not the problem.  I also tested the smbios.plist and org.chameleon.Boot.plist, and they weren't the problem either.  So I suspect either Extensions/ or modules/

• Administrators

You just don't know what you're talking about...

EDP has been updated with one of the latest Chameleon fixes in order to sort out the (infamous) iMessage problem following Apple's recent changes. There is now a NVRam Chameleon module in /Extra/modules which requires to update the bootloader to v2.1 r2169 or higher. Latest EDP v4 does that.

So, if you have not updated your Chameleon bootloader (you can either update online or copy the 'boot' file from /Extra/storage to HDD root), do it, or remove that NVram module from /Extra/modules.

You'll then be able to boot normally.

That has already been mentioned on the forum.

This being said, if you were running/using EDP v1.9.2, you're quite far behind now and have not obviously followed the development for a good year or so. Sorry we did not wait for you... EDP is now up to v4!

You need to re-install your full EDP package (not update it) and start from there.

Actually, it would appear that I do:

I suspect either Extensions/ or modules/

remove that NVram module from /Extra/modules.
There are 14,894 posts and counting on the forum. Would it hurt to put a warning about NVram.dylib on the EDP page?

EDP has been updated with one of the latest Chameleon fixes in order to sort out the (infamous) iMessage problem following Apple's recent changes. There is now a NVRam Chameleon module in /Extra/modules which requires to update the bootloader to v2.1 r2169 or higher. Latest EDP v4 does that.

So, if you have not updated your Chameleon bootloader (you can either update online or copy the 'boot' file from /Extra/storage to HDD root), do it, or remove that NVram module from /Extra/modules.

You'll then be able to boot normally.

Might this explain why my D520 boots verbose, even though its not set to boot verbose in the Chameleon plist? Its also refusing all kexts in /Extra. :(

• Administrators

No, a pre-r2169 Cham bootloader + FileNVRAM.dylib module "just" prevents boot-up. It has no effect on kexts in /E/E or on the boot flags.

That verbose boot could be a side affect of multiple OS X partitions on a drive where the 1st partition boot plist takes precedence...

• Administrators

with chameleon 2169 and up chameleon now has persistence with the boot flags you enter at the chameleon prompt it will store them even if you shut down or reboot. make sure you clear your flags. and like herve said if you have multi partitions chameleon will only respond to the org.chameleon.Boot.plist on the partition you originaly installed chameleon too usually the first partition with osx after the small efi one. in my case i have to edit my lion Boot.plist to affect my ML since i had lion installed first.