New SL Install - "You need to restart your Computer"

BigDanTex

Hi,

I have installed SL this afternoon on my D630 (Nvidia 135m) and all was well until I ran the EDP package post install. Now I can't boot in to SL at all getting stuck at the "You need to restart your Computer" screen.

I had to install via Nawcoms ModCD as I had no access to a Mac prior to install. After the install I installed and ran the EDP package from here and now I'm lost! 

attached is a pic of the verbose dump as a pointer (it means nothing to me!). Seems to kp at PCI device? 

Thanks for your help! 

***Update***

I can boot using the -x safe boot

post-8448-0-19259300-1359416229.jpg

• Administrators

Which version of SL are you installing? What did you choose when running EDP? I'd opt for "my own settings" and select patched AppleHDA for audio. I'm also a bit surprised by your VoodooHDA version (2.7.2) because I believe EDP installs a much more recent version...

install the following EDP kexts:

- VoodooPS2 controller

- nullCPUPowerManagement

- sleep enabler

- TSCsync

- patched STAC9205 for D630

- Voodoo battery

Your system KPs with VoodooHDA 2.7.2, so that kext needs to be replaced.

Thanks for the response - I'll try that out now. I'm installing 10.6.3 and I ran EDP with the pre-selected aml for D630 with Nvidia. I've probably gone deeper in the hole by trying various different things last night so hopefully I can get back to where I was and try this fix. By the end of last night I couldn't boot in at all! 

***Update***

Ok so I've reinstalled and now during the username setup etc its not allowing me access to internet (all the options are greyed out). This is leaving me a bit stumped as EDP needs internet access to run... Hmmm 

Any ideas? I don't want to shut it down before I can get a fix as I'll end up doing yet another reinstall! 

Check which WIFI card you have by removing the strip above the keyboard and unscrewing the keyboard if its a 3945ABG,. replace it with a DW1490 ,. also in bios make sure your hard drive is in ahci and not in sata ,. only thing I can think of

• Administrators

There's a quicker way. Check what's reported in System Preferences (Apple Menu -> About this Mac -> More info/System report). In hardware section, you'll see a PCI item. Your wireless card should be listed there with details of Vendor id and Device Id. Intel Vendor id is 0x8086, so if you have that, you need to change your card since Intel cards are not supported by Mac OS X.

The DW1490, DW1390 or DW1395 (the latter requiring a kext) are possible replacements. All those are 54Mbps cards (802.11g). You can also opt for 300Mbps card (802.11n).

Thanks guys - I've managed (by a mixture of persistence and luck) to boot in to a semi-working OSX SL which strangely had the wireless working great but no LAN. Using ModCD and multifail I was able to pick limited drivers from the list posted by Herve and side load the dsdl from the OSX Extras. Anyway, its allowed me to run MyHack so I'm going to do a Vanilla install this evening and go from there. I'm pretty confident that it'll be ok if I got it working through bastardising the ModCD route. 

From that point are there any notes on the upgrade process from 10.6.3? I know to download the combo update, is it ok to apply? Should I run EDP again after update? 

Also whats the process to get to ML? Apologies if this is covered in a guide, I've just a had a bit of a brain dump there! 

Thanks for you assitance

• Administrators

With BootCD/ModCD, there really is no need for a bastardised installation... It's totally straightforward, indeed incomplete in terms of installation, but sufficent to install myHack and create the targeted USB Vanilla installer.

For SL, you can either:

1) install SL 10.6.3, install EDP & run kext installation, install 10.6.8 combo update and re-run EDP kext installation before reboot

or

2) install SL 10.6.3, install 10.6.8 combo update, install EDP & run kext installation

For ML, it's pretty much the same, but there's no need to re-run EDP kext installation after update to 10.8.2 if you've installed the kexts already.

• Like 1

Ok further update...

Tried to run MyHack and it won't load in as USB Boot device. I get a string of Boot0 returns. The first one being Boot0:GPT, then Boot0: Test and finally Boot0: Error and it just hangs.

I seem to remember that during the end of the my Hack creation (which seems to take about 40mins to and hour) that some part of the installation fails although the process seems to complete properly.

Hmmm stumped! I've re-run myHack creation twice now and I'm still getting the same error and non-boot situation. Help!